Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 05, 2012

The first game in the second saga of the Halo sci-fi series has the Master Chief awakening from cryostasis as he explores the mysterious Forerunner shield world Requiem, fights a newly-formed Covenant group, and accidentally awakens an ancient evil.

Does this game lie about unlocks?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hatking

So, like Jeff mentioned, the way the unlock system in this game (and Reach) works, is just fucking weird. First you have to unlock the items to even be seen in your.. store. This allows you to see what you actually need to do to unlock them. Not sure why they would make this choice, it really only adds confusion and creates the extra step of Google searching "Halo 4 rank unlocks". Just put everything in there from the start, or only put it in there once it's unlocked.

Anyway, despite that being a really stupid system, that's not the problem. You know how when you rank up they list what items you've actually unlocked (unlocked for use, not just to look at in the store thing)? I feel like on several separate occasions now it has said I've unlocked something only for me to go check and it not be there. Not only that, but it not even be in the list of shit that I can see but can't use.

My guess is that the unlocks were originally distributed differently, and that the text that pops when you rank up wasn't changed after they rebalanced it. Or, am I missing something? It just told me I unlocked some "Scanner" armor, which is nowhere to be seen in any menus.

This, combined with certain DLC unlocks and pre-order stuff randomly disappearing (let me tell you how much I love resetting all my loadouts and gear), and the fact that the file sharing is just broken (which is fucking ridiculous, right?), all makes me wish they'd get a patch out already instead of farting out the mediocre Spartan Ops missions.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DrFlapjack

I'm still don't understand the appeal of all this customization in a first-person shooter. For the first time today I've had my loadouts reset which is annoying. I'm with you on the Spartan Ops as well, quite a disappointment. This week 2 out of the 5 chapters takes place on Valhalla, it seems lazy.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @HatKing said:

So, like Jeff mentioned, the way the unlock system in this game (and Reach) works, is just fucking weird. First you have to unlock the items to even be seen in your.. store. This allows you to see what you actually need to do to unlock them. Not sure why they would make this choice, it really only adds confusion and creates the extra step of Google searching "Halo 4 rank unlocks". Just put everything in there from the start, or only put it in there once it's unlocked.

Anyway, despite that being a really stupid system, that's not the problem. You know how when you rank up they list what items you've actually unlocked (unlocked for use, not just to look at in the store thing)? I feel like on several separate occasions now it has said I've unlocked something only for me to go check and it not be there. Not only that, but it not even be in the list of shit that I can see but can't use.

My guess is that the unlocks were originally distributed differently, and that the text that pops when you rank up wasn't changed after they rebalanced it. Or, am I missing something? It just told me I unlocked some "Scanner" armor, which is nowhere to be seen in any menus.

This, combined with certain DLC unlocks and pre-order stuff randomly disappearing (let me tell you how much I love resetting all my loadouts and gear), and the fact that the file sharing is just broken (which is fucking ridiculous, right?), all makes me wish they'd get a patch out already instead of farting out the mediocre Spartan Ops missions.

There is a thread some where abut scanner stuff going missing. 
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hatking

@DrFlapjack said:

I'm still don't understand the appeal of all this customization in a first-person shooter. For the first time today I've had my loadouts reset which is annoying. I'm with you on the Spartan Ops as well, quite a disappointment. This week 2 out of the 5 chapters takes place on Valhalla, it seems lazy.

That is a valid point. I feel like they should have done something more with the customization, something that'd actually impact the player. Maybe each helmet could have a slightly unique HUD? Maybe that's too much to ask for. At the same time, I have always enjoyed customizing my dude, in any game really, even if I can't see it. It's still nice to have a unique look.

And yeah, Spartan Ops was the most disappointing bit of the whole game, for me. I was really interested in what that could be, and it just turned out to be some throw away campaign missions on recycled maps. They don't try to do anything unique with them like they promised before release. It's always just 'go here, and shoot these dudes along the way, then shoot all of them before you can leave'. I was listening to one of the designers on a podcast a couple weeks ago being excited because they could "take risks" in Spartan Ops that wouldn't fit in the campaign. I'm not sure I get it. And it certainly wasn't worth sacrificing Firefight, which is at least fun enough to waste time with a buddy in split screen.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hatking

@The_Laughing_Man: Well, I think that is related to the Scanner helmet that unlocks when you buy the season pass. On occasion when you boot up the game DLC armor and weapons (pre-order stuff or season pass stuff) will not show up. That's a different issue with the game, but still really annoying. Here though, it's told me multiple times about armor or emblems that I've unlocked, only for them to not be there at all.

Ghost249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Ghost249

My only gripe is emblem unlocks... WHO THOUGHT THAT WAS A GREAT IDEA?!?!?

@HatKing: And in regards I have experienced the same problem as well along with resetting my loadouts...

The do need to fix that along with improving spartan ops a bit more. It felt more like do this, survive this annoying wave of crap being thrown at you, guess what NO BREAK TIME go that way... at least the cinematics aren't bad.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By glyn

@DrFlapjack said:

Wow, haha. They really can sell ice to an eskimo.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

It doesn't lie about it I just think they need to get a patch out to fix the issues. And yeah the system is kinda strange I don't really get how it decides to show you what you have to unlock in the future or why they decided to implement it that way. As far as the content goes however, I like what you're actually unlocking.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hatking

@Ghost249: I would much rather they released that CG movie as one cohesive short film on DVD or something. It doesn't have much to do with what you're doing on the missions, you don't even play as the characters in the shorts. It's interesting stuff, but it's attached to some of the least interesting things that have ever been done with the Halo franchise.

@TheSouthernDandy: Yeah, I do like unlocking more armor as I play. I sort of wish there were a lot more of it though. Seems like everybody tends to gravitate toward the same two or three helmets. Maybe a random element to it? Like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer unlocks, sans the micro-transactions. Maybe every level you get a random assortment of armor. That'd at least give a slightly better sense of individuality. But that's a minor gripe. I'd be completely content with the rank/reward system if it were all a bit more straightforward/telling on how to unlock things, and less buggy.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By ZZoMBiE13

The first "episode" of Spartan Ops had me so excited. I could see it being the logical evolution of the Firefight model. Adding narrative to drive the encounters. But week three and seeing that same damn canyon again... it boggles the mind. But I can honestly live with that. It isn't really that much different than playing Firefight over and over with some radio chatter cut in from time to time.

What I cannot abide however, is the fact that if my internet connection goes down (which it's prone to do since I have shitty Charter cable), I lose access to this mode. I'd hate to be the guy who doesn't have his console online and just rushed home with his fresh copy of Halo 4 only to find out that they've removed one of the best single player experiences (single player firefight was a blast in Reach and in ODST), but now Campaign scoring is gone as well. Effectively giving those players the middle finger by offering only minimal content if you're not an XBL subscriber. It's shameful.

And I'm a huge Halo fanboy. This is not the kind of post I want to be making. I truly hope this is a case of missteps by a team just starting out. Hopefully by the time Halo 5 arrives we'll see these problems rectified.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.