Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Combat Evolved

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Nov 15, 2001

One of the launch titles of the original Xbox, Halo: Combat Evolved is a sci-fi first-person shooter telling the tale of an advanced cybernetic super-soldier known as the "Master Chief".

Halo Anniversary is the same.

Avatar image for maddesthatter985
    maddesthatter985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By maddesthatter985

THis game is probably going to sell really badly as most people have played the original and this looks exactly the same, it dosen't really even have new multiplayer, just  Reach's. What I am trying to say is that no game should ever be remade.

maddesthatter985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By maddesthatter985

THis game is probably going to sell really badly as most people have played the original and this looks exactly the same, it dosen't really even have new multiplayer, just  Reach's. What I am trying to say is that no game should ever be remade.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Well, I mean, they've openly admitted that it is the original game repackaged with a new graphics engine.

So . . .

itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By itsmadness

Isn't...that the point? To make the original game look better?

intoblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By intoblivion

Its the original game updated so it looks good on a HDTV with better textures. Its got the ability to switch between old looks and new looks so you can compare certain parts of the game.

zyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By zyte

I'm pretty sure it will feature all weapons from Reach in Multiplayer. 
    And you can play 4 players Co-Op with Live. 

But no, there's nothing "all new", really. Buy it if you like the old campaign and multiplayer maps.

maddesthatter985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By maddesthatter985

Yeah I know its meant to be the same, but then why are we supposed to get it? Even if we liked the old campaign there are better games we could be playing ten yers on.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Sooperspy
    @maddesthatter985 said:
    Yeah I know its meant to be the same, but then why are we supposed to get it? Even if we liked the old campaign there are better games we could be playing ten yers on.
    You're basically saying that no game should ever be remade.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Zyte said:

I'm pretty sure it will feature all weapons from Reach in Multiplayer. And you can play 4 players Co-Op with Live.  But no, there's nothing "all new", really. Buy it if you like the old campaign and multiplayer maps.

It's 2 player co-op.  I thought it was pretty lame at first but then I realized 4 player wouldn't really work.  Warthogs only hold three people...the forth person would be fucked in the last mission lol.

edit... come to think of it, there are multiple warthogs on that last part, but there are sections where you only have the one warthog.
    zyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zyte
    @maddesthatter985: If there are better games to play, then do so.  
    I loved the campaign of Halo: Combat Evolved, and I look forward to replaying it with enhanced graphics and physics. 

Just like I can't wait for the HD version of Resident Evil 4.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vitor

Woah woah woa - hold up.

Does it include the original Halo multiplayer maps redone with Reach's graphics engine and online enabled or is it just the campaign?

Massively disappointed if just the latter (although I've been in a mood to replay the game recently anyway so would likely still get it).

zyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zyte
    @Vitor: It does include the Multiplayer of Reach. (But not Reach's new maps.)  
    EDIT: I wasn't very clear there; Yes, it includes the original Halo multiplayer maps redone with Reach's graphics. :P

@MAN_FLANNEL: Ah, makes sense.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vitor

@Zyte: So it's not the classic Halo multiplayer? I know they've redone a few maps but does that mean it'll have Reach's armour abilities and stuff? Hoping for some old school rulet set options along with that if so.

zyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zyte
    @Vitor: I'm not 100% sure, but I understood it as you will get the same vehicles, weapons and abilities as Reach, but just in the old Multiplayer maps. They should definitely add an Old School rule set, yeah.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vitor said:

@Zyte: So it's not the classic Halo multiplayer? I know they've redone a few maps but does that mean it'll have Reach's armour abilities and stuff? Hoping for some old school rulet set options along with that if so.

There is already a playlist in Reach wherein you can play the multiplayer with old school rules, so I'd be willing to guarantee that sort of thing will be available for the Combat Evolved maps on launch.

zyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zyte
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Oh, excellent.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Cincaid

I've never played a single Halo game (weird, I know), so I'm thankful for this remake at least since that gives me a chance to start the franchise from the beginning. I can even switch back and forth between old and new graphics if I so choose.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Tylea002

They couldn't specifically port the old multiplayer over - as the Netcode would not have handled that, so they're just moving the old maps to Reach, and I HOPE there's an old school playlist, where they put as many modifiers on the reach engine to make it as like the original as possible. I mean, those Pistols. I need them, always.

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kandycane2029
    @Tylea002 said:

They couldn't specifically port the old multiplayer over - as the Netcode would not have handled that, so they're just moving the old maps to Reach, and I HOPE there's an old school playlist, where they put as many modifiers on the reach engine to make it as like the original as possible. I mean, those Pistols. I need them, always.

I doubt the weapons will be changed back to their original counter parts if the multiplayer is running on the Reach engine. They'll probably just take what's already there and throw it on top of the remade maps.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CrazyChris said:

I've never played a single Halo game (weird, I know), so I'm thankful for this remake at least since that gives me a chance to start the franchise from the beginning. I can even switch back and forth between old and new graphics if I so choose.

I hope for your sake they decide to touch up Halo 2 as well.

Be sure to play through Combat Evolved with its original look sometime, though. I've always felt there was a really stark shift in art direction between the first and the second game, and that second iteration of Halo aesthetic has been the one to persist to the present day product.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Cincaid

@Sir_Ragnarok said:

@CrazyChris said:

I hope for your sake they decide to touch up Halo 2 as well.

Be sure to play through Combat Evolved with its original look sometime, though. I've always felt there was a really stark shift in art direction between the first and the second game, and that second iteration of Halo aesthetic has been the one to persist to the present day product.

Most definatly! What makes this remake so interesting is that they're keeping the original graphics in the package for those who want to give that a try. Really a cool move I have to say.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By asurastrike

@maddesthatter985 said:

THis game is probably going to sell really badly as most people have played the original and this looks exactly the same, it dosen't really even have new multiplayer, just Reach's. What I am trying to say is that no game should ever be remade.

I think you are underestimating the selling power of the words "Halo" on a video game box.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm actually looking forward to it.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Slaker117

This is probably going to sell really well, especially for the development cost, because it says "Halo" on it. And Halo is awesome.

Also, it's not like they are trying to hide that it's the exact same game. That's the point.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By dagas

The original looks pretty good for a decade old game. Sure it's dated, but it's not FF7 eye-bleedingly ugly. I can still play the game.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By redbliss
    @maddesthatter985 said:
    Because it is fun to go back and play old games that we once thought were great. That is really the only reason. You might not be interested in this game because maybe you didnt enjoy the original game too much, but there are enough people out there that would enjoy something like this. I think what 343 industries is doing with CE is pretty cool. I am glad they are just updating the graphics and you can switch to the old instead of completely remaking the game with the Reach engine. I kind of wish they would do the same thing with the CE multiplayer maps, but at the same time I understand there would be some problems with doing that. 

All that said, I do have a few issues with this project so far. I dont like how they are doing that pre-order skull stuff because that should be in the game no matter whether you preorder or not. Also, I hope they dont tweak the campaign too much, not even the Library (I didnt think that level was that bad, and it was actually one of my favorite levels in the game). They said they were planning on doing some things with that level specifically to make that level not as much of a chore I guess, but I hope they dont go too far with it. 
    SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By SomeDeliCook

So they're basically just up-resing the textures and lighting and stuff? Not re-doing any geometry? 
    This is the only Halo game I beat (much or less get past the second level) but I am not going to trudge through the library again unless its redone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas said:

The original looks pretty good for a decade old game. Sure it's dated, but it's not FF7 eye-bleedingly ugly. I can still play the game.

Yeah, but letterbox televisions compress the image into a 4:3 aspect ratio. Which kinda sucks.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    @Zyte said:

I'm pretty sure it will feature all weapons from Reach in Multiplayer. And you can play 4 players Co-Op with Live.  But no, there's nothing "all new", really. Buy it if you like the old campaign and multiplayer maps.

It's 2 player co-op.  I thought it was pretty lame at first but then I realized 4 player wouldn't really work.  Warthogs only hold three people...the forth person would be fucked in the last mission lol.  edit... come to think of it, there are multiple warthogs on that last part, but there are sections where you only have the one warthog.
    Even if there were numerous warthogs, the people I always end up playing Halo co-op with, at least one of them would take off and wreak one in a matter of seconds, leaving other to walk. :)
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MistaSparkle

I don't ever not want to play Kingdom Hearts again, so I'm hopeful sometime in the future Square Enix will make an HD version. 

Also, Battle Creek is the best map ever made. So that's why I'm getting it.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MisterChief
    @SomeDeliCook said:
    So they're basically just up-resing the textures and lighting and stuff? Not re-doing any geometry? This is the only Halo game I beat (much or less get past the second level) but I am not going to trudge through the library again unless its redone.
    The geometry is identical.
    EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 46

#31  Edited By EpicBenjamin
    @MisterChief said:
    @SomeDeliCook said:
    So they're basically just up-resing the textures and lighting and stuff? Not re-doing any geometry? This is the only Halo game I beat (much or less get past the second level) but I am not going to trudge through the library again unless its redone.
    I heard that they were doing something to The Library to make it less terrible.
    MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MisterChief

@EpicBenjamin said:

@MisterChief said:
    @SomeDeliCook said:
    So they're basically just up-resing the textures and lighting and stuff? Not re-doing any geometry? This is the only Halo game I beat (much or less get past the second level) but I am not going to trudge through the library again unless its redone.
    I heard that they were doing something to The Library to make it less terrible.

Every single person who saw the game asked about the library and they said that the geometry would be the same but they would give you different ways of playing the game that would alleviate it. That's all they would say.

thespartandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thespartandon

The game has 'Halo' in the title.

It's gonna sell a lot of copies.

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By spctre
    @Tylea002 said:

I mean, those Pistols. I need them, always.

Ahhh yes, the good old M6D. Those were the days.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By EpicSteve

For the reasons you think this won't sell well are the exact reasons it will sell.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By big_jon

This thread seems a bit dumb.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.