Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Combat Evolved

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Nov 15, 2001

One of the launch titles of the original Xbox, Halo: Combat Evolved is a sci-fi first-person shooter telling the tale of an advanced cybernetic super-soldier known as the "Master Chief".

I just wanted my pistol back

EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By EightBitShik

From what I read it seems like they aren't giving us Halo 1 multi player over Xbox live after all these years instead they are maps for Reach? God damn it I just want my pistol and I want to shoot people other then my friends in the face! We tried the Xbox connect back in the day but it was GHETTO.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

You may think you want the original Halo MP, but you don't. It's best to remember it with rose-tinted glasses than to break the illusion.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By iDarktread

I will be so sad if they mess this up.

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By jillsandwich
    @iDarktread said:
    I don't really know how you could mess it up. 
    EightBitShik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By EightBitShik
    @Enigma777: You know you maybe right on that except for the pistol, I know for A FACT I want that pistol in current day Halo.
    jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jetsetwillie
    @jillsandwich said:
    @iDarktread said:
    exactly... its Halo:CE with a new graphics pass which you can turn off. i'm sure some will find shit to bitch about though. 
    rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By rawrz

I loved the Halo pistol but I dont know if id ever want it back. It was so overpowered. Ive come to prefer the Reach pistol since its really useful while at the same time not totally making most of the other weapons useless like I thought the classic pistol did.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

Somebody help me understand why everybody loves Halo 1 so much. Please.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By phish09
    @nintendoeats said:

Because it was a really good game for it's time.  What more is there to explain?  I mean maybe it doesn't hold up great today, but neither do most 10 year old shooters.  Have you tried going back and playing System Shock 2 or the original Half Life?  They were amazing games at the time, but sooner or later every game shows it age...unless it's made by Miyamoto.  That man could see well into the future.

Anyway, I thought they said on one of these Bombcasts that the Halo: CE anniversary edition would include the 7 original Halo: CE multiplayer maps as well as the Halo Reach maps, not just the Halo Reach maps.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Pinworm45
    @nintendoeats said:

It was one of the most well done and seemless console FPS games at the time, and actually had a decent story and atmosphere as well as levels (The Library doesn't count) and seemless blend of vehicle use and FPS, allowing you to play your style. And while vehicles weren't unique to games at this point or anything, the way they were done was fairly unique. 

More than the sum of its parts.
    hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hero_swe

What Pirnworm45 said.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nintendoeats
    @phish09: You know why E.T. suck? Because it was a shit game for it's time. 
    See, that's not a very useful sentence is it.

@Pinworm45
    Ok, sure (well except the level design, I HATE the single player level design of Halo CE...and the narrative/story which I think are not as good as Bungie thinks they are...) but as far as I'm concerned every Halo game has been an improvement over the previous ones. Why does everybody hold CE as being some kind of beacon of Halo-ness?
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Slaker117
    @nintendoeats: Because it was the first so it made the biggest impact, and because a lot of people have different taste then you and simply think the single player design is really good.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pinworm45
    @nintendoeats said:
    @Pinworm45: Ok, sure (well except the level design, I HATE the single player level design of Halo CE...and the narrative/story which I think are not as good as Bungie thinks they are...) but as far as I'm concerned every Halo game has been an improvement over the previous ones. Why does everybody hold CE as being some kind of beacon of Halo-ness?
    I disagree. I think every halo game has been worse than the last, with the exception of Reach being ahead of Halo 3. 

it's not some nostalgia trip either, I played HaloCE recently and had more fun with it than any of the other Halo games. 

I liked Halo 2s story and thought it was interesting, but the actual game bored the shit out of me. The other halo games were just generic and mediocre. Reach was Generic but playable. 

I'm talking purely campaign, I don't care for Halo multiplayer. 

For me, nothing stands up to the originals campaign. The atmosphere, the story, the design.. I thought it was pretty damn good.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By phish09
    @nintendoeats: Yeah...well your question wasn't a very useful question was it?  Taste is subjective.  That's all you need to know regarding why anyone likes anything.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nintendoeats
    @phish09: If you asked me why Half Life is great, I could write a 4 page essay on the topic without breaking a sweat. As a person very analytically interested in video games, I need to know why people do and do not like things.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nintendoeats
    @Pinworm45: Ok, I think I see where this breaks down for me. I have always viewed Halo as being a multiplayer game first and foremost. I don't pretend to understand what people like about Halo single player, but at least I now know where the disagreement lies.

(oh, and in defense of my position I have completed every Halo game except for ODST. Halo 2 remains my favorite campaign but I'm hardly in love with it or anything)
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By toowalrus

If all you want is the Halo 1 multiplayer, just pick up the PC version. Problem solved.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Brendan

The original pistol is a terrible idea. Everyone running around with it (no matter how fondly you remember doing so) will not make for compelling multiplayer for long.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By MayorFeedback
    @TooWalrus said:

If all you want is the Halo 1 multiplayer, just pick up the PC version. Problem solved.

I was getting ready to post the exact same thing. That game will play on practically any PC or laptop you throw it on at this point, and you can still buy at any Best Buy around.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Slaker117
    @rebgav said:
    @EightBitShik said:

From what I read it seems like they aren't giving us Halo 1 multi player over Xbox live after all these years instead they are maps for Reach? 

I thought it was Halo 1 maps but the multiplayer is running on the Reach engine? It was suggested that you could install the game and play both sets of maps using the Reach disc which implies two different sets of maps. 
    They are essentially making DLC maps for Reach based off of Halo 1 maps.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phish09
    @nintendoeats: That's fair enough.  I'm sure you could write a 100 page essay on why Half Life is great and still all it would prove is that you enjoyed that game.  You liking a game does not make a game good, and you not liking a game doesn't make it bad.  That's my only real point here.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By zidd

@phish09 said:

Have you tried going back and playing System Shock 2 or the original Half Life? They were amazing games at the time, but sooner or later every game shows it age...unless it's made by Miyamoto. That man could see well into the future.

No its because every nintendo franchise has had pretty much the exact same game mechanics since the late '90s

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iDarktread
    @jetsetwillie said:

@jillsandwich said:

@iDarktread said:
    exactly... its Halo:CE with a new graphics pass which you can turn off. i'm sure some will find shit to bitch about though. 
    You two are actually right. I watched some more videos today, and it really does just look like a update. My main concern is the game's competitive multi-player matchmaking, because Halo: Reach really didn't handle it properly.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Really, the pistol was incredibly overpowered. As much fun as Halo 1's multiplayer was, it totally was not balanced for competitive online play. But I feel you, man. I really miss that freaking pistol. In all seriousness, it's probably my favorite video game gun of all time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.