Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Bungie is really F****** good at this.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Belonpopo

Has anyone noticed that Bungie is really good at makeing trailers? 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

The trailer for Halo 3 still nearly brings tears to my eyes. When I saw the trailer for ODST I thought it was really cool. This Reach trailer left me underwhelmed.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aetos

The Halo 3 teaser was amazing and one of the best I've ever seen.

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By William

Not really..

toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By toast_burner

yeah but thier games never look as good :(
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

No, video game trailer are almost always extremely embarrassing and Bungie's are no exception.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By triple07

Yeah I love their trailers too.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By vidiot
    Halo 2: Chief jumps out of starship, into space. This is followed in latter months by one of the best E3 demo's ever.
    Halo 3: Chief dramatically wanders into view, looks over the side of a cliff and watches a Forerunner structure activate including an entire battalion of Covenant ships. Trailer shows off impressing new technical improvements, specifically in the environment. 
    Halo ODST: For a single player expansion, the hype and even run up to the initial trailer was pretty excellent. One teaser at a time, cultivating in a very nice dramatic trailer showing nighttime stalking and a revamped musical score. Haunting and inviting.

Halo Reach: After a teaser that essentially...Announced what the project is, the next trailer features a bunch of Spartans getting together. Going off to fight.

From a technical perspective, the game looks modern...and that's about it. Nothing new was shown. A big praise I keep hearing is that the faces look more detailed. That's not a praise, that should be a given. 

The problem with prequels is that we know how they end. Reach is decimated, the Spartans all but extinguished. There was nothing new or fundamentally grabbing with this trailer, aside from a reiteration of the setting, which has promise but has yet to shown it can deliver, especially from a presentation side.

Bungie can make great trailers. This was not one of them. 
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By big_jon

Yes very good

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EthanML

As long as you don't count any of the god awful live-action shit they've done, I guess they've been pretty good.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By big_jon
    @vidiot said:
    "Halo 2: Chief jumps out of starship, into space. This is followed in latter months by one of the best E3 demo's ever.
    Halo 3: Chief dramatically wanders into view, looks over the side of a cliff and watches a Forerunner structure activate including an entire battalion of Covenant ships. Trailer shows off impressing new technical improvements, specifically in the environment. 
    Halo ODST: For a single player expansion, the hype and even run up to the initial trailer was pretty excellent. One teaser at a time, cultivating in a very nice dramatic trailer showing nighttime stalking and a revamped musical score. Haunting and inviting.

Halo Reach: After a teaser that essentially...Announced what the project is, the next trailer features a bunch of Spartans getting together. Going off to fight.

From a technical perspective, the game looks modern...and that's about it. Nothing new was shown. A big praise I keep hearing is that the faces look more detailed. That's not a praise, that should be a given. 

The problem with prequels is that we know how they end. Reach is decimated, the Spartans all but extinguished. There was nothing new or fundamentally grabbing with this trailer, aside from a reiteration of the setting, which has promise but has yet to shown it can deliver, especially from a presentation side. Bungie can make great trailers. This was not one of them.  "

Not sure what youre talking about, it was one of my favorite.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By big_jon
    @EthanML:
    God awful... Are you kiding me?
    CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By CABBAGES

I just watched the trailer and i think it looks terrible.  
    I really cant see how halo is so popular ?  
    I do try to like it. Now and a again i do try to play halo 3 but i just find it terribly boring.

GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GeneralTurkle

But one thing they hopefully do for all of you is shock you.

Especially the ones who just keep shooting down the game.  You still don't know whats coming, so don't say it won't work.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zereta

The funny thing is that this isn't a trailer, its part of the opening cinematic of the game. ;D

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SoothsayerGB
    @William said:
    " Not really.. "
    This pretty much.  Three was great, but then I played the game.   Which ruined ODST's and this one's.  The games just keep getting worse.

But maybe your on to something.  Maybe Bungi should just stop reselling Halo and make a movie.  Bet that would be awesome.
    gungrave45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By gungrave45

yes, bungie always makes amazing trailers

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cheapoz

I don't know what they were trying to show us?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By GunstarRed

Th Reach one was boring and seems like fanservice for people that analyze trailers frame by frame... but they are usually very good at makign trailers... I love the live action ones for ODST and the model ones for Halo 3.... but they have never topped the beautiful one with the kids chatting in the grass... going into an all out war sequence.
    nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By nrain

Yup a fantastic opening movie.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By MildMolasses
    @Zereta said:
    "The funny thing is that this isn't a trailer, its part of the opening cinematic of the game. ;D "

That's what I was going to say. So while I was impressed by the quality of the visuals,nothing that happened during it was very interesting.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By ThomasP

His armor was shiny! = )

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Whisperkill

Yep, the Halo trailers are pretty damn good
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Evilsbane

I thought this trailer was fantastic, they showed in game footage for once and the sheer majesty of what is possibly the last Halo game by Bungie sounds and looks great, this is the final push, this is Bungie's chance to finally live up to the promise of Halo 2 and 3 which I think no matter how avid a Halo fan can admit did not live up to the incredible game that was Halo: Combat Evolved, the end of this new trailer showing a symbol of doom hanging in the background, who cares if we know the outcome it has been said many times its not the destination its the journey itself, and to me the final stand of the Spartans against impossible odds is what I wanted in 3, this may be the best Halo and I hope it is, I am tired of the naysayers because I can't always say they are wrong. Halo is a great franchise and Everyone should want this to be amazing, and if Bungie can recapture the magic of the first I am all for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vidiot: I think Bungie's response to this sort of statement would be that they're not trying to sell the game based on what's "innovative" or "genre-bending". At this point, the studio knows its audience, and knows that Halo is one of those things that gamers either do or do not like. 

This game is almost entirely fan service. The Fall of Reach is, amongst Halo stalwarts, widely regarded as the most compelling of the novels, and to capitalize on that Bungie has gone back to flesh out the narrative of one of the most beloved (whilst, simultaneously, most ambiguous) points in the Halo fiction. As a result, the pitch isn't "check-out-what's-new-with-Halo", even though that stuff is still there in subtle touches, the pitch is more like, "Hey, now fans can experience this narrative section first hand." 

Bungie's a more mature studio now. The guys and gals there are making more mature games and taking strides to improve their narrative voice. The sun has set on the days when Halo's trailers were epic, one-note events. Because people know to expect that from the games. We don't need the Master Chief staring at some epic vista with Marty O'Donnell's score rising to a crescendo in every goddamn trailer, do we?
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vidiot
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Yes, and no. I am very excited to play / see the novel first-hand. ( I made my own about Halo: Reach here.) It's been great seeing Bungie slowly get comfortable telling the narrative of their game universe over time, something that (I feel) they strangely lost between the days of Marathon and the first Halo. 

This is most certainly fan-service, yet at the same time: This is being billed as Halo 4.
    Chalk it up to either Microsoft's heavy handed promoting, or it being the highlight of the VGA's, I bet every penny I have this product is/will be marketed in a similar fashion to Halo 3 versus ODST. Give it that this is (or not) supposedly the last Halo game made by Bungie, when Microsoft goes out of their way to release a press-release claiming: "It will be the biggest game of 2010". That's not an opinion, that's a deceleration. Get ready for your Spartan mountain dew gamer fuel.

That's not a bad thing. My comparison that I do agree that Bungie is great at making announcement trailers: In comparison to their previous work, this is simply not their best. Not from a technical perspective, and what they showed from a narrative point of view was very, very sparse. Based on their previous work, my expectations are simply higher, they could have done better on all fronts here.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By EVO

They could learn a thing or two from Team ICO.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dan_CiTi

This trailer was nothing special at all, I found it boring and I kind of enjoy Halo games.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho

Makeing.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Alexander
    @ryanwho: stop makeing fun. 

The best trailers were the live action ODST one and the CGI from Halo 3. Both of which have nothing to do with Bungie though.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Emilio

Are you kidding? It was so lame. And the the Elite at the at the end? That was so lame and cheesy.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xyzygy

I for one thought that the trailer was awesome. I loved how it really didn't focus on anything other than "HOLY SHIT, THERE WILL BE OTHER SPARTANS!". It wasn't like, ok here's this giant enemy, you have to kill it, it is really big, trailer ends. Like most trailers. It was just really subtle and showed how different the visuals are, and this is still a year away from it's release. 

I'm surprised no one is talking more about the music though. Epic beyond fuck! I think it's a lot of what makes it what it is... seeing the spartans fly away slowly towards this massive battle, not really knowing who they are yet knowing that you will get to know them soon. I dunno. It was just done really well.

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By imhuntad

The live action ODST trailer was one of the best trailers I have ever seen. I really want a Halo movie done in that style. It is fun to watch, and captivating. I'm not sure why i'm going crazy over it, I just really really dug it.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zereta

Again, this wasn't a trailer. It was a PART of the OPENING cinematic. Like last year's Uncharted 2 reveal. A part of the opening cinematic. Told us nothing but Drake's in deep shit. Same here, expect instead of Drake being in deep shit, its a planet that's in deep shit and there are Spartans waiting to do something.

Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jixashauser

I wonder if they are going to include the spartans that survived reach?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By natetodamax

Gearbox is better.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Castro

Honestly, I've never been that big of a Halo fan. I love my 360 (primarily for downloadable titles), but Halo really never did anything for me. However, I did like the Halo 3 teaser. The 'Halo Reach' trailer didn't really do much for me. Since I haven't been steeped in Halo lore myself, I probably didn't get what others got out of it. Probably. I don't know.

I will say that I think that Blizzard makes really great trailers. The Wrath of the Lich King trailer was pretty fantastic. I've been trying to think of other trailers that grabbed me, but I really can't think of anything. The only other thing that comes to mind was the Gears of War trailer with the "Mad World" song from Donnie Darko. That's only because of the song though. 

Also, I recall seeing the trailer for Muscle March for WiiWare. Is that a trailer or a commercial? Usually, trailers have a big reveal and it's a huge deal. Muscle March was just something I saw on YouTube earlier this year. Would you consider that a trailer? If so, the Muscle March developers win the "Best Trailer Makers" award.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fripplebubby

I liked the trailer quite a bit, seeing as how they kept much shrouded in mystery as far as gameplay, and only released some tidbits for the true Halo fans. Not to mention showing off the new engine, which looks pretty fine. As far as a trailer for a game that is still a year away, I think it's pretty epic.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By kenzo287

the only one iever liked was the live action odst one

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pweidman

The trailer was good because it really showed off the new engine, and it was also  filled with clues about the game's story and the connection to the cannon; and specifically the whole story of what happened on Reach.  As far as great trailers and how good devs are at hyping games, it was great for Halo fans but others who don't get the addiction to the games are kinda lost obviously, hence the unimpressed takes.  

Rockstar on the other hand can really make a trailer that hypes the vibe of what they're trying to make and what gamers can expect.  See the new stuff for their coming western(Red Dead Redemtion) for proof.  The difference is in the actual gameplay imo.  Bungie does the 'three minutes of fun' (and of course their mp innovations)better than most devs,  and that's their strength.  

That said, the franchise does need a freshen-up gameplay-wise.  And we'll have to wait and see how the game will be structured, and some gameplay footage, to see about that in the near future.  I love the franchise, but even I see the need for that type of change.  I'll bet Bungie get's that as well.  Personally, I can't wait to see more of what they have been working on these past 2 years plus, and where this franchise will go, be it safe and familiar, or more different than previous games. 
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Metroid545

you mean lame? sure it looks alright but where's the gameplay or anything else I care about

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.