Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

I come before you humbled

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EvilTwin

People of Giantbomb.  I suck at Halo: Reach multiplayer.  When I first started I did quite well.  I'm assuming that was because I was playing other new/bad players.  Now, I apparently play good players, and I cannot compete.  I know this is an extremely broad question, but does anyone have any tips?  It's just gotten extremely frustrating to the point of me not really wanting to play anymore even though I'm like 80% of the way to Captain. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

If you go on Halo Waypoint they do daily videos with tips on playing the game which are actually pretty good.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

Practice makes perfect. 

Don't underestimate the Magnum.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By uniform

You may not necessarily be bad, but the competition is possibly a little too experienced. Some matches you can really spot the veterans. I'm very inexperienced and I can get a very respectable k/d ratio, while others I will go the match with 1 or 2 kills.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Djeffers03

Remember to time your shots, bloom is very important to control, trust me. Also pick you battles wisely, don't be afraid to GTFO is you feel like the situation might not go your way. Don't give chase unless your enemy has no shields and is pretty much a 1 shot, they can just as easily kill you if you meet a grenade at your feet and a bullet to the head.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Gamer_152 said:
    " If you go on Halo Waypoint they do daily videos with tips on playing the game which are actually pretty good. "
    Can't hurt to check it out I suppose.

@Axxol said:
    " Practice makes perfect.   Don't underestimate the Magnum. "
    See, I'd have no problem with practicing if I thought I was getting any better.  As it stands I feel like I'm getting worse.  I do use the magnum, but part of my problem is probably knowing when to use what weapons. 
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Djeffers03 said:
    " Remember to time your shots, bloom is very important to control, trust me."
    I try to, but sometimes it just seems like everyone is killing me so much faster than I'm killing them.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Shadow

Try different game modes.  I find Big Team Battle has the largest percentage of people that are new to the game...or at least aren't as good as those playing other game modes

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uniform

Personally, I would recommend always picking armor lock. It's saved my butt so many times. Whether it's another player trying to mow you down with a vehicle, or saving you from grenades, or just buying time for your teammates to bail you out of trouble, it's invaluable.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By DystopiaX
    @EvilTwin keep playing. Trueskill will eventually get you to where you should be eventually, it just needs more data.

In terms of gameplay, basic tips you may/may not know:
    Strafe when shooting, always. Circle strafe, vary your interval timings, jump at the end in close quarters, etc. Make it hard for them to hit you.
    Time your shots: when using dmr/nr, get the timing down so you hit every shot. It's been proven that in pacing vs spamming, pacing will win 9/10 times.
    Use the right weapon at the right time: the ar is a very close range weapon and spamming distances won't do you well. Also, don't exclusively use shorties/sword when you have it: i have won battles by 5shotting people who are sword sprinting at me. Likewise, don't melée charge because the guy shooting you cam get of the 4shot beatdown before you can get the double.
    Other than that, stick wih your teammates and always try to control the high ground.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BraveToaster
    @EvilTwin said:

See, I'd have no problem with practicing if I thought I was getting any better.  As it stands I feel like I'm getting worse. "
    You're not going to get better if you have that mindset. 

Also, you should test out every weapon until you find what works for you.
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mikeeegeee

If any of these tips come across as condescending, I apologize. But this is what I tell my friends who have trouble:

• Your "radar" is actually a motion tracker. If you see someone coming towards you on your motion tracker, but they are around a corner, crouch and move into a position where you'll be able to get the drop on your opponent. When you crouch and move, you are invisible to enemy motion trackers (ie: you don't show up as a red dot).

• It takes two melee shots to kill someone who has shields. If you are close enough, go for the two melee shots. If you are skilled enough, an even quicker (and generally more reliable) way to dispose of enemies is to connect with one melee shot and then immediately headshot with a DMR, Needle Rifle, or magnum.

• Go for headshots with the three aforementioned weapons. I notice that usually around 2/3 of my kills come from headshots, whereas many of my opponents only get between 5-10 a match. In order to be successful in this regard, you've gotta learn the rhythms associated with firing each of the rifles and the magnum. Sniping with the magnum from mid-long range is possible, and in some cases you should go for it, but remember that it's a much slower process than with the DMR or needle rifle. I've noticed that the needle rifle seems to hold its accuracy better (or maybe I'm crazy). It also has the possibility of supercombining, which is superconvenient against unshielded oponents who you just can't seem to headshot (3 shots and they explode).

• Use the jetpack on maps that call for it (maps with a good deal of vertical play area) such as Countdown, and in some cases Sword Base. The jetpack allows you to get the drop on so many unsuspecting players on these maps. Defend against the jetpack by listening for it. It's pretty loud.

• When not jetpacking, I generally go with sprint because it enables me to:

• Avoid fights. Yes, Halo is all about kicking ass and getting those huge killstreaks. But it's nigh impossible to achieve anything of worth by approaching every encounter full on. After dispatching one opponent, if you notice another coming after you, run around a corner. This enables you to:

• Reload your weapons, and

• Lead off with a grenade. A well placed grenade and headshot, as usual, makes for easy encounters.

• Be mindful of your shields in relation to your opponent's. If he pops your shields, keep your distance (or even run away). If he lands a melee attack, you're dead. If you pop his shields, aim for that headshot while closing the distance between you two. If you don't land the headshot, you can take him out with a melee attack.

• When engaged in a heated rifle duel, jump. Headshots are king in rifle duels, and jumping forces your enemy to shift his aim and potentially miss a headshot. More often than not, they'll hit your legs or chest, and you'll still be alive while hopefully popping them in the face another couple of times mid-jump. It's kind of like the battle room in Ender's Game...

• Finally, be an opportunist. It's cheap, but it's effective. If you see a big brawl going on, hang out at a distance. Lob some grenades, pick people off with headshots. Many a triple kill was achieved in this manner.

There's a science to this game, and the most effective means of approach are often the ones that tip the balance of power in your favor. Pop shields as soon as you can, either from a grenade, a plasma pistol overcharge, or successive headshots. Use the shotgun and other weaponry when appropriate, as they trump the rifles in the correct circumstances. Take it slow, pick your fights, be able to place a grenade and land a headshot, and you should do okay.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EvilTwin
    @uniform:  Any time I have a choice I do generally pick armor lock.

@DystopiaX:  Thanks for the tips.  I'll definitely work on strafing and timing my shots more.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Bollard
    @mikeeegeee: Very good tips, pretty much all I could think you need to say on the matter.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Axxol said:
    " @EvilTwin said:

See, I'd have no problem with practicing if I thought I was getting any better.  As it stands I feel like I'm getting worse. "
    You're not going to get better if you have that mindset."
    I understand.  I'm not trying to have a bad attitude, but I'm also not going to get any better if I don't have a good foundation for learning.  If you teach someone the alphabet incorrectly, then reading is going to be a bit of a problem for them.  

@mikeeegeee:  Not condescending at all, thank you good sir.  Some of it is definitely a little basic though.  I do understand how the motion tracker and melee works, and I know what weapons to headshot with.  But I didn't really give anyone a lot of information to go off of so all tips are appreciated regardless.  I'll try using sprint more.  Seems like the most popular armor ability, maybe that's for a reason.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BraveToaster
    @EvilTwin said:

I understand.  I'm not trying to have a bad attitude, but I'm also not going to get any better if I don't have a good foundation for learning.  If you teach someone the alphabet incorrectly, then reading is going to be a bit of a problem for them.  

Play people that are better than you. Sure you'll get your ass kicked at first, but you'll learn how to defend yourself eventually. 

Teaching someone the alphabet is different from simply pointing your weapon and shooting.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Raymayne
    @EvilTwin said:

See, I'd have no problem with practicing if I thought I was getting any better.  As it stands I feel like I'm getting worse.  I do use the magnum, but part of my problem is probably knowing when to use what weapons.  "

Always use the DMR or Needle Rifle, and pace you shots...that is pretty much all you need to know, it's still kind of a talent I guess, and there's always gonna be someone with a more accurate shot. 

Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.    
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Axxol:  At this point every person I play is better than me. :P

I guess I'll just keep at it.
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Fosssil
    @EvilTwin: If you want some really specific advice, upload a full gameplay to your File Share and then post the link here for people to download and critique.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Vinchenzo

Big team battle. I've improved my k/d ratio thanks to vehicles.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Fosssil said:
    " @EvilTwin: If you want some really specific advice, upload a full gameplay to your File Share and then post the link here for people to download and critique. "
    I'll attempt to do that later.  What kind of game would you like to see?
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fosssil
    @EvilTwin: Well, I suppose that depends on what type of game you want to improve your skills in. What playlist/gametype most inspired you to create this thread asking for tips?
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Fosssil said:
    " @EvilTwin: Well, I suppose that depends on what type of game you want to improve your skills in. What playlist/gametype most inspired you to create this thread asking for tips? "
    I suppose team slayer.  Basically I have little confidence in myself at this point to kill anyone in a 1 on 1 situation.  If I could get past that point, it would probably help me in any game type.
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DystopiaX
    @EvilTwin I saw you said you use armor lock. May be a preference thing but IMO sprint and drop shield are better. Sprint because you can run away from dangerous situations/track down that one shot. Drop shield is better because you're protected but not immobile and replenishes health, which can help if your opponent hits the body and not the head, whereas with AL your opponent can grenade time/get the jump in you when you pop back out.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EvilTwin
    @DystopiaX:  This coming from a guy with an armor locked spartan in his avatar. :P  

I'll be trying to use sprint more in the future.  Unless I'm wrong, though, drop shield doesn't seem to be an option in most variants.
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Jackel2072
    @Raymayne said:
    " @EvilTwin said:

See, I'd have no problem with practicing if I thought I was getting any better.  As it stands I feel like I'm getting worse.  I do use the magnum, but part of my problem is probably knowing when to use what weapons.  "

Always use the DMR or Needle Rifle, and pace you shots...that is pretty much all you need to know, it's still kind of a talent I guess, and there's always gonna be someone with a more accurate shot. 

Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.     "
    this. play swat too. you may suck at first but if you stick with it, it will make you a better shot. i always treat the DMR like i only have 1 bullet. 
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Jackel2072:  Actually, I'm not too bad at SWAT.  Taking one shot at someone's head isn't too bad.  It's the whole shield thing that is getting in my way.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By jkz

I'm by no means great (1.42 or so KDR), but I've found that the most helpful thing I've done was really learn the firing cadences for the DMR, Needle Rifle, and Magnum. I'm getting about 70% of my kills off of head-shots now, and I'm winning the majority of 1v1 rifle battles where my opponent gets off more shots simply because I've learned the weapons' cadences.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EvilTwin
    @jukezypoo said:
    " I'm by no means great (1.42 or so KDR), but I've found that the most helpful thing I've done was really learn the firing cadences for the DMR, Needle Rifle, and Magnum. I'm getting about 70% of my kills off of head-shots now, and I'm winning the majority of 1v1 rifle battles where my opponent gets off more shots simply because I've learned the weapons' cadences. "
    This is starting to seem like very sound advice.  Thanks for sharing.
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Fosssil
    @EvilTwin: Sorry for the late reply (didn't have a chance to get to my Xbox and review the film until now). Here's a quick breakdown of what I think you did right/wrong in the game you shared, and how to improve:

- 0:00: First mistake right off the bat was running to bottom yellow. Blue team always spawns 2a side on Sword Base to my knowledge, and Red team spawns by the health pack underneath Break Room. This is flawed by design and unfairly favors Red team (thanks Bungie!), so you have to make the best of it. Running bottom yellow to start is only really viable if you immediately lift up and nade around the corner to weaken any Reds who already ran up the stairs and might be waiting there for you. Your teammate in the game BAdams06 did just that, and managed to get a quick kill to start the game (though I wouldn't recommend charging in there with a Needler like he did). If you hesitate getting over to yellow lift you give them time to get set up and wait for you. In a game with Motion tracker enabled, you're pretty much dead as soon as you go up if you're playing a semi-competent team (again, thanks Bungie for such elegant and thoughtful map design /sarcasm). The best thing to do in this situation would be to run to the bridge at the end of the 2nd floor hallway, grab the Needle Rifle, and then push towards bottom Break Room. If no one is at the top of the bridge to fight you, then you can continue up to the Break Room to help pinch while your teammates push from Yellow, or you can drop down and grab the Grenade Launcher and lift up red vent to the top floor.

- 0:31: Lack of awareness right here. A Red guy drops down onto the bridge right next to you, and you turn your back to him. You should be able to tell that he is right behind because of your radar. Enemies above you appear as bright red triangles on radar, enemies below you appear as burgundy dots, and enemies on your plane appear as bright red dots. If you would have spun around to engage him as soon as he dropped, you probably would have been able to get the kill (though he had a Concussion Rifle, so maybe not). You should be able to tell his exact position just by seeing on your radar that he is on the same elevation as you are, and then intuiting that he could only possibly be on the bridge based on the map's layout. As you get more familiar with the geometry of the various maps and get better at reading the motion tracker, this won't be a problem.

- 0:50: Good idea being cautious when advancing up the Break Room stairs -- most of the time there will be someone camping up there.

- 1:10: Smart play to wait at the top of the lift for that assassination.

- 1:42: Not sure why you decided to let this guy live. Instead of finishing the kill after reloading, you just turned and walked away. I'm going to guess you were frustrated that you hadn't finished him yet after a full clip, but he was literally one body-shot away from dying.

- 2:20 - 2:30: You seem indecisive here about where to go. On Sword Base, you should always be trying to get to the top of the map. Pay attention to your radar and your teammates' callouts and then head to the highest part of the map that you safely can. Running back and forth between Low Bridge and Lobby for no reason isn't accomplishing anything (disregard this part if you were doing that in order to check if Sword was up).

- 3:02: Needle Rifle vs. Magnum doesn't go in your favor at that range. Smart of you to back down.

- 3:50: You should have probably won this battle, even though he had the weapon advantage, because you had a height advantage and got first shot. Your cadence with the Needle Rifle wasn't fast enough, and you simply stopped shooting for a few seconds after zooming out. Control of the bloom and quick aiming abilities will come with practice.

- 5:07: Unlucky. You get caught in a bad spot here. The only way you survive this is if you sprint straight to break room right after that first nade goes off and while he's still throwing the second one.

That's as far as I can review for tonight (have to write a paper and study for a midterm, unfortunately). Right now the only things that you are doing wrong are related to positioning and awareness, which will become second-nature with enough experience. Your actual gameplay skills seem very competent, and nothing really jumped out at me as needing much work. There's not a lot of pro player footage out yet, but If you're interested in watching/studying some gameplay I recommend you download the "How to Play Asylum" videos in Ogre 2's File Share. Hope that helps!
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Fosssil:  Wow.  Timestamps and everything. :D  

Thanks a lot man, very cool of you to do.  It helped a bunch and I'll definitely be checking out those videos you linked to.  
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TwoOneFive

i think its a boring game.  

and from my experience, nobody is using mics ever. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.