Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Recommended Halo Novel

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Vinny_Says

So I just finished the Fall of reach and that got me way interested in the Halo fiction. Are there any other books that I should read? Preferably with covenant and John-117

Also which rank is higher? Master Chief or Captain?

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By thebeast

Have you read the rest of the series The Flood, First Strike, etc?

Artikay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Artikay

The Flood is just a novelization of the first game, its alright but not really required to read. It does pick up exactly where Fall of Reach leaves off though. First Strike takes place between Halo 1 and 2. 

Contact Harvest and Ghosts of Onyx were good, but dont feature the Chief. Onyx has Dr. Halsey and Officer Mendez from Fall of Reach and Contact Harvest features Sgt. Johnson from the Halo games, which is cool. 

I havnt read the Cole Protocol, but I'll get around to it sooner or later.  

To directy answer your question, I'd say go with The Flood next and then First Strike, just because they are the ones with the most info concerning the games directly.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Interesting. I didn't know they had any books.  They don't seem to have the 
    whole set on the Kindle just yet. I wish they did though.  I think I'll pick some
    of these up.

Space opera is usually fun to read.  There are probably thousands of books 
    on space opera out there to which I've read a few (just recently completed
    the Right Ascension/Declination books as of yesterday).

Still need to read the Mass Effect books too (possibly EVE too)

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CaptainCody

Why read a book based off of a videogame?
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew
    @CaptainCody: Why play a game based on a book?
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CaptainCody

@LordAndrew:

Problem sir? 
    Etan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Etan

The Flood is definitely the worst one I've read, part of the book is new content from the covenant side but all the parts from Master Chief's perspective are pretty bad. The other two I've read are First Strike and Fall of Reach which both were pretty good, unfortunately Reach contradicts some of what happens in the books which makes it even harder to keep the fiction straight. It's a shame because if they are just going to contradict what the books say I don't want to read them anymore.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By octaslash

I recommend reading the other two Eric Nylund books. 

First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx are almost direct sequels of Fall of Reach. All of them feature the Blue Team, but the Master Chief is absent in GoO.

Artikay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Artikay
    @CaptainCody said:
    "Why read a book based off of a videogame? "

Dont discount them so easily, they tend to be far better than Video Game to Movie conversions. 

Halo books are pretty good, I was also a fan of the Myst novels.  

If you like the fiction, read the books. Reading is FUN!
    Wasara88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wasara88

You should read them all (well Flood sucks) They are really entertaining even without the Chief, to be honest Masterchief is probably the most boring charachter in the Halo universe. Fall of Reach, Contact Harvest and Cole Protocol are my personal favourites.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By White_Silhouette

I would say Contact Harvest and Ghost of Onyx are my two favorite of the series. Have yet to get in to cole protocol yet.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By EmuLeader
    @Etan said:
    " The Flood is definitely the worst one I've read, part of the book is new content from the covenant side but all the parts from Master Chief's perspective are pretty bad. The other two I've read are First Strike and Fall of Reach which both were pretty good, unfortunately Reach contradicts some of what happens in the books which makes it even harder to keep the fiction straight. It's a shame because if they are just going to contradict what the books say I don't want to read them anymore. "
    The books and the game weren't written by the same people, and bungie has said that the games take priority in the cannon of the story.  Every part of me argues with parts in Reach that don't go along with facts in the book, bungie had to make the decision about what to make their game about.  They probably felt that basing the game off the book just didn't work well, or just want new original material.  I personally can get past it and still love the books.
    krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By krystians
    @LordAndrew said:
    " @CaptainCody: Why play a game based on a book? "
    Kills it!
    HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By HadesTimes

I just started Halo Evolutions, it is a short story collection that has a little bit of everything and it's like $5 on Amazon right now, so how could you go wrong... :) 

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Etan said:

" The Flood is definitely the worst one I've read, part of the book is new content from the covenant side but all the parts from Master Chief's perspective are pretty bad. The other two I've read are First Strike and Fall of Reach which both were pretty good, unfortunately Reach contradicts some of what happens in the books which makes it even harder to keep the fiction straight. It's a shame because if they are just going to contradict what the books say I don't want to read them anymore. "

This is actually a huge issue, from what I've read recently. Reach basically retcons a lot of the novel fiction, including most of the back end of The Fall of Reach and some of Ghosts of Onyx.  

It's sort of the way it works, though. The Game Canon is greater, more important than--and takes precedence over--the other fiction that fleshes out the franchise (the books and comics and what have you). It's more supplementary than anything, to give you an idea of what was happening in this universe. Specificity is pretty much overwritten by the events in the games. A shame, really. 

@blacklabeldomm: Anyhow, as for the original question, The Flood is a novelization of Combat Evolved. It's kind of interesting if you want backstory on the Marine occupation of Halo. What they did, where they organized, how they dealt with the Covenant and then The Flood outbreak. But most of it is redundant information, though it's neat to see the game contextualized in the space of a novel.  

First Strike fills the gap between Halo:CE and Halo 2, and is also from the Master Chief's POV primarily. It's probably the best of the three Master Chief-centric novels, though Fall of Reach does a fuckton to expand the texture of the universe, so it might be the most important of the three.  

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To answer your other question: 

From what I understand, John-117's rank is pretty far beneath that of Captain. He's just a Master Chief Petty Officer, which means he's not really very esteemed at all. In fact, if I'm looking at this correctly, Noble Six in Halo Reach is actually of a higher rank (Lieutenant) than the Master Chief. Which means he'd be able to boss the Chief around, had the two the opportunity to fight together.  

But the rank of Captain is extremely high up the chain. The only thing above the Captain rank are the numerous Admiral ranks, and the way Admirals are treated in the Halo fiction, you'd think they were demi-gods of some sort.  

The only hitch here is that the Master Chief carries a certain gravitas symbolically. As the last official Spartan, he's basically the vanguard for all human hope, regardless of his rank. So when he's around everyone sort of assumes he's got the shit taken care of. 

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @Artikay said:
    " @CaptainCody said:
    "Why read a book based off of a videogame? "
    Dont discount them so easily, they tend to be far better than Video Game to Movie conversions.  Halo books are pretty good, I was also a fan of the Myst novels.   If you like the fiction, read the books. Reading is FUN! "
    With a book, you don't have to spend tens or hundreds of millions
    creating the work. Just bring your imagination which can outspend
    anything with a budget.

@Etan said:
    All you have to do is separate book canon from game canon &
    then there is no reason to compare.  I had to do this with Aliens.
    I read at least 10+ books on Alien stuff & didn't bother to integrate
    the movies at all.  In fact, there was an Aliens trilogy that would
    have started with Aliens 3. It was fucking awesome. Way better
    than the real Aliens 3 & other Aliens movies that followed.

Think of them (movies, books, video games for halo) as 
    alternate realities of each other. :-)
    rhacer63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rhacer63
    Ghosts of Onyx is by far the best, and The Flood is by far the worst. The others all fall somewhere in between.

I was moved to tears by Ghosts.
    core1065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By core1065
    @blacklabeldomm: Master Chief is a top NCO (Non-commission Officer) position, They are the head of all enlisted (Privates, Corporals) and lower NCO's (Sergent's, Staff Sergent's, SFC, ,etc) A captain is a Officer and is inherently higher on the command structure.

UPPER: Officers
    MIDDLE: Warrent Officers
    BASE: Enlisted
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yinstarrunner

The Halo books aren't that great.  The only one I would even consider to be "good" is The Fall of Reach.  Even then, there are some glaring, and I mean GLARING, continuity flaws between all the books and the games. 

I know, I know: "Game Canon takes priority", but it's still pretty jarring in a lot of ways.  I feel consistency is important, and if they're just going to disregard established story points, then there's really no reason to read the books at all.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " The Halo books aren't that great.  The only one I would even consider to be "good" is The Fall of Reach.  Even then, there are some glaring, and I mean GLARING, continuity flaws between all the books and the games.   I know, I know: "Game Canon takes priority", but it's still pretty jarring in a lot of ways.  I feel consistency is important, and if they're just going to disregard established story points, then there's really no reason to read the books at all. "

Well the canon is usually one-way.  Game canon flows into book canon but never
    flows back.  Book canon is basically a sink.  Just don't bother trying to distinguish between
    the continuity.  People may change the story for dramatic effect, bring somebody
    back from the dead, whatever it takes to better the story being told.

Most of the time books based on video games can be pretty crappy. Not sure I've
    ever read one, but it also depends on who is writing it & the quality of the writing.
    Sometimes it can be a treat.  I'll have to download some of these books in sample
    form on my Kindle & see if I'll enjoy them.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fjordson
    @CaptainCody said:
    " Why read a book based off of a videogame? "
    He didn't read a book based off a video game. None of the Halo titles on Xbox or 360 cover the events of that book. Nice try, though.

Skip The Flood. It's simply a retelling of the first game and it isn't by Eric Nylund. After Fall of Reach, I would check out First Strike. It basically bridges the gap between Halo 1 and 2. After that I'd read Ghosts of Onyx. Both of those are quality books by Nylund and they aren't based on any of the games so it's new fiction. I enjoyed them quite a bit.
    SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By SenatorSpacer

In my opinion:

The Flood is garbage, First Strike is OK, Ghosts of Onxy is excellent, Contact Harvest was meh, the Cole Protocol is also meh, and Evolutions is good. I can get into more detail if you want me to. That's just the quick and dirty version.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " @yinstarrunner said:
    " The Halo books aren't that great.  The only one I would even consider to be "good" is The Fall of Reach.  Even then, there are some glaring, and I mean GLARING, continuity flaws between all the books and the games.   I know, I know: "Game Canon takes priority", but it's still pretty jarring in a lot of ways.  I feel consistency is important, and if they're just going to disregard established story points, then there's really no reason to read the books at all. "
     Well the canon is usually one-way.  Game canon flows into book canon but never flows back.  Book canon is basically a sink.  Just don't bother trying to distinguish between the continuity.  People may change the story for dramatic effect, bring somebody back from the dead, whatever it takes to better the story being told.  Most of the time books based on video games can be pretty crappy. Not sure I've ever read one, but it also depends on who is writing it & the quality of the writing. Sometimes it can be a treat.  I'll have to download some of these books in sample form on my Kindle & see if I'll enjoy them. "
    Contradicting oneself does not a better story make.  It pulls me out of the experience more than anything.  Fall of Reach was genuinely interesting to me and now a good portion of that book is rendered moot.   Bungie are the lore-keepers of the Halo Universe, it's not out of the question to expect them to tell a story within it without tripping all over themselves.  Yeah, I know they didn't write the books, but Halo is still their creative property, and that's obviously the universe they wanted to create, otherwise they wouldn't have greenlit the book.  

I guess its just confusing because I didn't find the story in Reach too compelling, and I could have easily thought of a different perspective on the fall of reach that would not have retconned the canon.  I probably wouldn't be so annoyed if Reach's story was actually great, but it's not, so all I see is making the Halo lore even more of a mess than it already is.

Good thing I'm not one to overly care about story in a video game, though.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#26  Edited By wefwefasdf

Only read the stuff by Eric Nylund. The rest is pretty bad.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @yinstarrunner said:

" @Lind_L_Taylor said:

" @yinstarrunner said:
     Well the canon is usually one-way.  Game canon flows into book canon but never flows back.  Book canon is basically a sink.  Just don't bother trying to distinguish between the continuity.  People may change the story for dramatic effect, bring somebody back from the dead, whatever it takes to better the story being told.  Most of the time books based on video games can be pretty crappy. Not sure I've ever read one, but it also depends on who is writing it & the quality of the writing. Sometimes it can be a treat.  I'll have to download some of these books in sample form on my Kindle & see if I'll enjoy them. "
    Contradicting oneself does not a better story make.  It pulls me out of the experience more than anything.  Fall of Reach was genuinely interesting to me and now a good portion of that book is rendered moot.   Bungie are the lore-keepers of the Halo Universe, it's not out of the question to expect them to tell a story within it without tripping all over themselves.  Yeah, I know they didn't write the books, but Halo is still their creative property, and that's obviously the universe they wanted to create, otherwise they wouldn't have greenlit the book.    I guess its just confusing because I didn't find the story in Reach too compelling, and I could have easily thought of a different perspective on the fall of reach that would not have retconned the canon.  I probably wouldn't be so annoyed if Reach's story was actually great, but it's not, so all I see is making the Halo lore even more of a mess than it already is.  Good thing I'm not one to overly care about story in a video game, though. "
    You mean Microsoft are the lore-keepers. Bungie checked out.  You
    know I never really understood the "story" of Halo 1-3.  I probably need to go
    read the synopsis. Big part of the problem for me is that I started with Halo 2
    & didn't really grok the storyline from the middle. When I went back through it
    starting with Halo 1 - 2 for storyline later, it still didn't make a ton of sense.  The
    writing might make the universe more interesting.

With all this trash talk about The Flood, I think I'm gonna have to check it out
    at the local library & see just how bad it is.  I've read some Star Trek books &
    you should see how bad some of those can be.  It couldn't possibly be as 
    bad as Star Trek books!  LOL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yinstarrunner said:
    I think "good" is being used with a heavy dose of relativity in mind. No one's coming out and saying Nylund's books are Pulitzer-winners, but in relation to other subsidiary pieces of game-fiction, it's pretty okay. Don't make me bring up those Resident Evil novels. 
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @CaptainCody: why book a play based off a video?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.