Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Sarcastic Gamer Poo Poo's All Over Reach

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By metalmoog

I listen to these guys on a regular basis, and find them quite hilarious and entertaining. On their latest podcast they poo poo all over Reach. Points of disappointment were:

• Lack of large epic battles as depicted by the big budget marketing.
    • Unrealistic vehicles for time period.  Set in the future yet, still driving Jeeps and flying Helicopters into war against an enemy in spaceships?
    • Hilarity of the only real grand battle scene, racing headfirst into a far superior enemy in jeeps? Where are all of the tanks?
    • Lack of epic "holy shit" moments the other Halo games had.
    • Underpowered "pew-pew" weapons.
    • Idiotic team-mate AI that barely kill anything.
    • Enemies that only focus on you, and not the huge Spartan with the Gatling gun.
    • Crappy matchmaking system that doesn't allow for joining of games in progress leaving teams lopsided by quitters.

Honestly kinda disappointed that I listened to that particular podcast, because it does indeed point out a bunch of flaws that I hadn't noticed and will probably notice a lot more now during subsequent playthroughs.

I still think the game is awesome and amazingly fun, but this does take the shine off a bit for me.

Do you guys think these are valid points, or just nitpicking done by non Halo fans?
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By huntad

I think a lot of these are just nitpicks, because Halo games have always lacked in a few of those areas. However, enemies focusing only on you is a bit new, because I remember in Halo one seeing the marines getting completely destroyed! Also, matchmaking is still stupid in that if someone quits, it's almost impossible for that team to win. Why no join in progress? I don't understand...do people really care if they join a match that's ending? I guess stat whores. But isn't it worse playing an entire match 2 v 5? 

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By pweidman

Their first point I agree with on your list , but the rest are either not true or just silly to point out(vehicles one particularlly).  And quitters infest and ruin online gaming in all games routinely; this isn't a problem unique to Reach.  It's always in fashion though to critique the big games...kudos to them ;).
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Most of these are just plain dumb.  
    - The AI kills a lot, especially Emile who will take out a whole group of enemies including the leader Elite.  
    - Enemies are meant to focus on you because you're the one playing the game... not the AI. 
    - Why join a match that's already half done? I'd rather play a full game than half a game. 
    - Underpowered pew pew weapons? Those types of weapons are made to lower shields, not take down health. Plus, there are weapons like the Plasma Launcher and Fuel Rod Cannon which are obviously not underpowered. 
    - Lack of "Holy Shit" moments... I don't even know if this guy played the game -_- 
    - That scene with the warthogs wasn't so all the warthogs could partake in a battle. It was to transport the soldiers to the spire as fast as possible. Tanks are slow. 

I guess that's the reason why it's called the Sarcastic Gamer though :P

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HaltIamReptar

I think that the original problem is listening to Sarcastic Gamer.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By zombie2011

That second to last point is complete bullshit.  

During the mission where you have to defend the Pelican, i just sniped from a distance while all the enemies were shooting at Jorge. 

Also all the other points are just retarded. 

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vaiz

Son, we say "Shit" here.
    Seriously though;

Alright, I'll concede this one, though some of the battles still feel much larger than previous Halos.
    • Unrealistic vehicles for time period.  Set in the future yet, still driving Jeeps and flying Helicopters into war against an enemy in spaceships?
      In one hundred years, all we've managed to do is improve the wheel, not invent the hovercar. Do you really think we're gonna make it that much further in a few more?
    • Hilarity of the only real grand battle scene, racing headfirst into a far superior enemy in jeeps? Where are all of the tanks?
      Blown the fuck up. These are really petty complaints.
      Like what, a giant venus fly trap that waxes philosophical with impromptu raps?
      Have they fired the DRM? Shit sounds like a real rifle, and it's far from underpowered.
      Actually, I found that several portions in the game, even on Heroic and Legendary, my AI buddies saved my ass a few times. Maybe I just have a magical copy of the game.
    • Enemies that only focus on you, and not the huge Spartan with the Gatling gun.
      Well, I'm the one running like an idiot into the open. I guess they go for target of opportunity?
    • Crappy matchmaking system that doesn't allow for joining of games in progress leaving teams lopsided by quitters.
      That wouldn't fix the problem. In fact, one of my biggest frustrations is joining a game in progress in Battlefield or MW2 only to be greeted with YOUR TEAM WON, or worse, YOUR TEAM LOST. The first one feels undeserved, the second one feels straight up depressing. The best they can do is punish the quitters.

I end my case, your honor.
    Tonic7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tonic7

With all those nitpicky complaints, I'd suggest they read up on the back story or something in search for answers. Like, why aren't there more tanks? Well, I could be wrong, but the tanks in the Halo universe always feel like an extremely rare commodity reserved for special moments/missions. Maybe the energy source required to fuel them is rare? Lack of "epic" battle scenes may be a fair complaint (especially considering the marketing), though there were a few large scale battles when compared to the scope of other Halo games. I did find the narrow focus of the missions to be meaningful though, considering the overall chaos that was the fall of Reach it was nice to glimpse into the individual, smaller-scale missions of some Spartans. Lastly, I found the friendly AI to be adequate. I did, however, take issue with the seemingly limitless ammo some of the enemies had.

Applying such "thoughtful" logic to a lot of games makes them seem rather absurd.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Interfect
    That's just Sarcastic Gamer being Sarcastic Gamer. I love em cause their funny. Not because they are accurate about what they say
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster
    @punkxblaze said:
    " Son, we say "Shit" here.
    Seriously though;

Alright, I'll concede this one, though some of the battles still feel much larger than previous Halos.
      In one hundred years, all we've managed to do is improve the wheel, not invent the hovercar. Do you really think we're gonna make it that much further in a few more?
      Blown the fuck up. These are really petty complaints.
      Like what, a giant venus fly trap that waxes philosophical with impromptu raps?
      Have they fired the DRM? Shit sounds like a real rifle, and it's far from underpowered.
      Actually, I found that several portions in the game, even on Heroic and Legendary, my AI buddies saved my ass a few times. Maybe I just have a magical copy of the game.
      Well, I'm the one running like an idiot into the open. I guess they go for target of opportunity?
      That wouldn't fix the problem. In fact, one of my biggest frustrations is joining a game in progress in Battlefield or MW2 only to be greeted with YOUR TEAM WON, or worse, YOUR TEAM LOST. The first one feels undeserved, the second one feels straight up depressing. The best they can do is punish the quitters.
      I end my case, your honor. "
    I like this a lot.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @punkxblaze said:
    • Like what, a giant venus fly trap that waxes philosophical with impromptu raps?

All I have played of Halo is three hours of Halo 2 skipping cut scenes because I was having a hard enough time enjoying the game, so I could be wrong.  Is this a Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life reference?
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By apathylad

I can see the last complaint being a valid point. Gears of War 2 provides bots to make even sized teams, and Call of Duty does the whole joining in session in-progress. Eh..I'm not sure which of these options would be preferential. 

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By pickassoreborn

I think that Reach is a different experience from traditional Halo titles in that it's paced extremely well. The whole story arc is an impressive thing and there's no disjointed parts to it. I think my only niggles with the game is the checkpoint/save system being completely broken and the AI can't drive vehicles very well. Other than that, really love Reach.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Lukeweizer

I remember being o disappointed with Halo 3 because of their over-hyped Marketing campaign.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vaiz
    @HaltIamReptar said:
    " @punkxblaze said:
    • Like what, a giant venus fly trap that waxes philosophical with impromptu raps?

All I have played of Halo is three hours of Halo 2 skipping cut scenes because I was having a hard enough time enjoying the game, so I could be wrong.  Is this a Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life reference? "
    Youtube " Gravemind", you'll understand.

@Axxol said:
    " @punkxblaze said:
    " My being awesome. "
    I like this a lot. "

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all forever.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Some of these are valid points, some of these are invalid points but I feel like they're all pretty much nitpicking. I could break down these points and give a proper rebuttal but I don't think it's worth it, if we analysed every game the way Sarcastic Gamer seem to be analysing this one then I think we'd conclude there are almost no good video games at all.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @punkxblaze: Okie dokie!  Will do.  I asked because that description was an OK match for a character in HM: AWL.  Tartan, a two-headed Venus flytrap, would not only hybridize your seeds for you, but also tell you about the finer things in life.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Who are these guys again?

Oh right, nobody I should care about.

Brb playing and enjoying Reach.

Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Spikester

Sarcasticgamer are bunch of sensationalist attention seekers. Say a bunch of crap for the sake of controversy and controversy only. At least Yahtzee makes a few good points.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Apathylad said:
    " I can see the last complaint being a valid point. Gears of War 2 provides bots to make even sized teams, and Call of Duty does the whole joining in session in-progress. Eh..I'm not sure which of these options would be preferential.  "
    Neither really. Bots in a multiplayer game are fucking useless, and with my experience of COD, it's never fun to pop into a match only to have it end before you even get to fire a shot.

I like to think that the experience with Reach is pretty well thought out and for the most part works really well, but far from perfect. For that you of course need *ahem* dedicated servers. ;P
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By ch13696

So it's all cool of they "poo poo" on other games, but once they "poo poo" on a game that you like then you just can't stand them. 

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @Apathylad said:
    " I can see the last complaint being a valid point. Gears of War 2 provides bots to make even sized teams, and Call of Duty does the whole joining in session in-progress. Eh..I'm not sure which of these options would be preferential.  "
    Neither really. Bots in a multiplayer game are fucking useless, and with my experience of COD, it's never fun to pop into a match only to have it end before you even get to fire a shot.  I like to think that the experience with Reach is pretty well thought out and for the most part works really well, but far from perfect. For that you of course need *ahem* dedicated servers. ;P "
    I sort of agree with this, but I think the bigger issue is that the matchmaking system isn't based around a linear progression like Call of Duty. Call of Duty can get away with substituting players mid-match because it doesn't really matter one way or the other. In Halo, you're dealing with skill-based ranks almost universally, so it wouldn't be fair to players to just plug them into an unwinnable match on a team that is losing by thirty points and then dock that player's merit by virtue of something they had no control over. 
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By vaiz
    @HaltIamReptar said:
    " @punkxblaze: Okie dokie!  Will do.  I asked because that description was an OK match for a character in HM: AWL.  Tartan, a two-headed Venus flytrap, would not only hybridize your seeds for you, but also tell you about the finer things in life. "
    That sounds way cooler than gravemind. Gravemind was useless and doomsaying and would never tell me about the fine things in life. It was always "Your sins" this and "This betrayal" that. It would be nice if once, JUST ONCE, it offered me some life advice, or some fine wine or something.
    Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Mighty
    @Spikester said:

"Sarcasticgamer are bunch of sensationalist attention seekers. Say a bunch of crap for the sake of controversy and controversy only. At least Yahtzee makes a few good points. "

Yep 

No dice. 

They also poo poo'd the Bombcast.    
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By big_jon
    @Empirepaintball said:
    "@Spikester said:

"Sarcasticgamer are bunch of sensationalist attention seekers. Say a bunch of crap for the sake of controversy and controversy only. At least Yahtzee makes a few good points. "

Yep  No dice.  They also poo poo'd the Bombcast.     "
    What did thhose fuckers say about the Bombcast?
    Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Interfect
    @big_jon:  

They were joking about how their podcast will always be free and never split up. Like they though the bombcast would.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By natetodamax

lol, I kinda agree with all of those.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Bones8677
    @punkxblaze said:

I end my case, your honor. "
    You're not a lawyer, How'd you get in here?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By jakob187

You know what's funny, though?  Despite all those problems...and as someone who hated Halo 3, I'm glad to be able to say that Halo: Reach is fucking awesome.

Spikester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Spikester
    MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MisterChief

These guys do nothing but whine about how popular the Halo games are. They always referred to Halo 3 as "Halo Jesus". Seriously. They're fucking morons.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.