Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

The checkpointing system

Avatar image for anthropomorphic_bear
    Anthropomorphic_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I've just finished Halo Reach and there's one thing that annoyed me, more than the repetitive mission templates, more than the lack of autosave, more than that last horrible mission: The checkpointing system. From what I can gather, the game's checkpointing system seems to consist of 'whenever we damn well fee like it'; there was no logic to the checkpointing. Sometimes I would be checkpointed no less than three times down some hallway, others I would go for five minutes without being checkpointed. There's no consistency, no logic, no common sense whatsoever to Halo's checkpointing system, and it's something which has plagued the franchise since the very first Halo.  

Can someone explain how Halo's checkpoining system is supposed to work?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I'm pretty sure it tries to give you a checkpoint after each major fight or after defeating a major enemy like a Wraith vehicle.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster
    @natetodamax said:

" I'm pretty sure it tries to give you a checkpoint after each major fight or after defeating a major enemy like a Wraith vehicle. "

This also when you reach specific locations there is a checkpoint.  
    Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I had no problem with the checkpointing, so yeah...

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By wefwefasdf

You get a checkpoint for several things. Defeating so many enemies/certain enemies, place on the map and several other things. I never had a problem with it...

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By slax

I didn't have a problem with it either. Nor with any of your other complaints...

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

It basically checkpoints you whenever you fight something big, like a hunter or a wraith. Or whenever you defeat a wave of enemies. And whenever you go from one setpiece to another. It's actually pretty ingenious. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Vinny_Says

....or whenever a new wave of enemies is about to attack you in the "firefight-like stages.

odinez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By odinez

Yup, ot's a very dynamic system but that can also cause a few problems. If you happen to complete an objective at the moment of your death you could wind up reverting to a dead state over and over. I do believe that if this happens the game will eventually revert you to the checkpoint before that one. But I digress.

Avatar image for white_silhouette
    White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By White_Silhouette

I found if you want a check point and have a vehicle, change which position of the vehicle you are in. It's been helping a lot on my legendary run.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Raymayne

Never had a problem, you just suck.

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By killer_meatballs

No problems yet.

Korrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Korrz

I did notice that sometimes I would complete an objective, fight through a wave of enemies,  start on an on rails vehicle sequence only to die and end up having to fight through the wave of enemies again. Then after that it would checkpoint at the vehicle sequence. Why did it not just checkpoint me there the first time? (just one example)

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I've definitely noticed how weird the checkpoint system works. I'm fighting through tons of bad guys only to get a little breather. No checkpoint. Okay, whatever. I move on, only to get stuck by some ass wipe covenant in the next room. Sweet so now I have to star that push all over again, however this time, when I get a breather in the SAME DAMN SPOT I was before, now the game decides to checkpoint.

Also there were a few times the game would go checkpoint happy and I would get about 5 of them seconds apart from each other.

It hasn't been that big of a deal, it's just the lack of consistency and reliability that kinda ruins the whole point of checkpoints.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Zippedbinders

Its been a source of frustration, probably my only real one so far (other than the questionable friendly AI, but no one's ever got that right). There was a section, the third chapter I think, where I had to fight through the same wave of enemies 4 or 5 times because I died at the heavily armored enemies each time with absolutely no reasonable check point in between, and then later, be checkpointed twice while fighting one enemy in a ghost. I can understand what they're trying to do, but its completely stupid sometimes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.