Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

UK Release Day Sales Figures

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Hamz

Thanks to the twittering from a Mr. Alex "SebFlyte" Sassoon Coby of Gamespot UK fame I figured folks here might enjoy finding out that Halo: Reach sold a little over 300,000 copies on release day in the UK according to this article by MCV which is more than the 260,000 plus copies Halo 3 sold on its UK release day. Still a fair bit shy of Modern Warfare 2's 1.2 million copies sold on release day in the UK with a fair percentage of that number being on he 360 itself. 

Noble 6 confirmed as being more popular than Master Chief perhaps? What do you guys think of the sales figures, did it sell better or worse in the UK than you expected it to?

Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

The fact that it sold more makes sense, just on a pure numbers perspective.  Halo 3 came out 2 years after the 360 came out.  Halo Reach came out 5 years after the 360 came out, providing time for the install base to increase. 

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By CandleJakk

Acoording to this Kotaku article, first day sales across the UK, US & Mainland Europe were over $200,000,000.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#4  Edited By citizenkane

Thinking Noble 6 is more popular than Master Chief is just a stupid thing to contemplate.  As far as the sales figures go, I have no idea how many Xbox 360s there are in the UK to giver a fair comparison of the percentage of actual Xbox 360 owners who bought Halo: Reach versus the number I predicted.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz
    @CitizenKane said:
    " Thinking Noble 6 is more popular than Master Chief is just a stupid thing to contemplate. "
    A gauntlet being thrown if ever I saw one. Who's a bad enough dude to pick it up!? :O 

On a serious note. At a guess I'd imagine the 360 has sold just over 4million units in the UK by now. Back in early 2009 it was like 3.8 million or something so a gradual increase since then I bet. Does that help?
    flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By flufflogic

I'll be the dour Brit here: 

90% of people who bought it here didn't even realise it's NOT Master Chief. It's sold so much because in the UK the 360 is this generation's PS2,  usually bought by the same people to boot. Every shop said Halo is the biggest game ever, and most consumers do what the shops say, as they don't have any knowledge of games coming out beyond what they saw on TV or in stores. 

I live in a nation of gaming sheep.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Vorbis

I've long given up trying to understand the average gamer demographic over here, I think it was around the time Just Dance had been in the top 5 for 6 months.

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By paradox121
    @Vorbis said:

" I've long given up trying to understand the average gamer demographic over here, I think it was around the time Just Dance had been in the top 5 for 6 months. "

Youve gotta at least admire a game that was written off by every single reviewer as pure crap and yet I think still remains in the charts even now. As for Reach, I'm a little surprised it didnt sell more to be perfectly honest. A great number, yeah, but this had people dressed up in Noble armour flying around in jet packs for the launch. I hate to dumb down our dear nation anymore but I think calling it 'Reach' may have put them off it. Confused their little gaming brains. Call it Halo 4, people assume itll be a slightly better Halo 3. Calling it Reach may confuse people, what with the somewhat average ODST and Wars.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.