Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

When Does Value Overtake A Game's Problems?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

Looking at the package that is Halo: Reach, there's a lot to be excited about:  it's the final Bungie-developed Halo title before 343 takes over the franchise, it's got some of the biggest multiplayer leaps and bounds that the franchise (and possibly any multiplayer shooter) has ever seen in depth and scope, and above all, it's the portion of the story that I personally have wanted to see visually.  For anyone that has read The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund, the story of Reach's downfall sparking the way between the humans, the Covenant, the Flood, and everything that we've seen in the Halo Universe is the linchpin for me.  It's one of the reasons I dumped the extra $20 for the limited edition to get Dr. Halsey's journal (which happens to be an amazingly in-depth read and a great supplement for fans of The Fall of Reach). 

Regardless of all the ups, there's a ton of downs that I've seen over my time with the game...and it kind of saddens me.  Technical and concept issues abound: 

• Heavy motion blur - This standard of most modern day games seems to be a bit overwrought throughout any play session on Reach, to the point that some folks are citing headaches, nauseousness, and other health issues while playing.  Mind you, all video games have a warning stating that some of the technical aspects of the graphics and/or presentation might cause issues like this, but it's odd to see it happening so late in the franchise.  While the game is absolutely gorgeous, the motion blur can be a massive distraction at times.
    • Depth-of-field weirdness - Most games handle depth-of-field with ease, like the Call of Duty franchise.  Personally, those games set the standard for how to properly handle depth-of-field in a game.  Nonetheless, Reach has a problem with this.  Since there is no aim-down-sights feature (which will be referred to as ADS for the rest of this, if I type it again at all), the way your character focuses on stuff and how that affects the background is incredibly awkward.  In the beginning mission of the campaign, there is a moment where you are flying in to a distress beacon.  Looking directly at your teammates flying next to you will result in proper texture work.  Looking at something else turns them into a blurry mess, and frankly, it's a bit disheartening to see that happen.  There's no real reason why that should happen other than Bungie trying to use some fancy graphical trickery to simulate something that didn't really need to be simulated in the first place.
    • Dramatic frame rate drops - I had heard from a friend that there were points later in the game where the frame rate is nigh unbearable.  I didn't believe that it was that bad...until he showed me.  I'm absolutely surprised at how bad the frame rate gets in those later missions, and I could even see it being a hitch that keeps me from getting the Legendary achievement for playing through it myself.  I'd hate to think what that would be like with 4-player co-op going.
    • No penalty for leaving a multiplayer match - This is one of the most mind-boggling things possible.  In previous Halo games over Xbox Live, leaving a match resulted in a penalty that led to you having to work harder in order to get your ranking back up.  It helped to make sure that people weren't just jumping ship because they were losing or because they weren't getting the high KDRs or whatever that they felt they deserved.  Unfortunately, Reach has NO penalty system whatsoever, which has led to plenty of matches that left me as the only player on a team against three others.  In turn, the online is a little less fun.  Why?  This lack of penalty leading to people jumping ship has caused another serious problem to rear its ugly head...
    • Poor host migration - I can't count on two hands and two feet how many times I have seen a match lead to staring at the score screen while someone is being picked as the new host.  The wait time on this is even longer than the moments that it happens on Modern Warfare 2, leading to many people leaving the match rather than sticking around because...again...there's no penalty.  All that does is cause more host migration issues, and in turn, it's a massive clusterfuck.  It could, quite literally, drive a man insane.
    • Depending too heavily on Firefight-style fights in campaign - So far, I'm only two missions in on Heroic.  I'm going to be starting over on Legendary after seeing my friend basically walking through it, knowing that I'm on the same skill level as he is.  Despite that fact, I've noticed a lot in the campaign how I'm finding myself basically pinned up at an outpost or a particular area, dropships come in to bring down waves of enemies, and I've got to either kill them all or defend against them until someone completes hacking a door or something.  It's one of the issues I had with the ODST campaign as well, since many of the missions in that felt the same way - sectioned-off areas where enemies just swarm you.  It was understandable in ODST, though, as that was the big thing that game brought to the Halo franchise.  The first two Halo games did not have this issue, and even Halo 3's campaign never felt like a Firefight-style setup.  It's a little saddening that the campaign has been brought to this rather than following the tried-and-true formula of previous games.
    • Multiplayer relies heavily on old maps - Many of the Team Slayer maps that I've played are essentially remakes or inspirations of maps from the first three Halo games, particularly Halo 2 it seems.  While those maps are great (and I personally love the remake of Ivory Tower, called Reflection in Reach), I never feel like I'm seeing enough of a rotation in those maps.  A lot of that probably has to do with the "choose your match" setup, where you are allowed to decide which of three game types you want to vote for.  Unfortunately, most of the Halo community seems to only want to play three game types:  SWAT, Slayer DMR, and Snipers.  Notice anything similar there?  It feels as though multiplayer games in general have all succumb to this "almighty headshot" theory, and it's fucking tragic in many ways.  Despite the fun that I have with SWAT, I want to play Halo the way Halo was meant to be played.  Maybe I'm too nostalgic for Halo and Halo 2, and I never played a whole hell of a lot of Halo 3 (as I've been pretty vocal about my feelings on that game many times).  Nonetheless, it'd be nice to see the community offer a little more variety, and if not that, then it'd be nice to see Bungie have a stronger rotation.

All in all, there's a ton of problems I can point out with the game.  Here's the funny thing: 

Halo: Reach is fucking awesome.

Despite all of these problems, I can't put it down.  It's pulled my attention from Starcraft II (at least for now).  The depth of the multiplayer, the commendation system, the armory stuff, the achievements, the avatar awards, the Halo Waypoint connectivity, the modes, the Firefight maps and all the improvements in that mode in general...there is soooooo much about this game that trumps many of these problems in the big picture of it all. 

So, the question I ask is this:  when does the value of a game and everything that package offers end up overriding its problems?  I'd like to think that Bungie will offer some title updates that allow you to turn motion blur and depth-of-field off or at least fixes it, something that adds penalties to multiplayer, better host migration, whatever.  In the end, though, I realize that those things never being fixed...still won't make this a bad game in the least bit. 

Congratulations, Bungie, on making an incredible swan song to your legacy with the Halo franchise.  We applaud you, and I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I have been. 

Until next time, piece. 

P.S. - This is replacing my Uninteresting $#!% blog for the week.  You're welcome.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

Looking at the package that is Halo: Reach, there's a lot to be excited about:  it's the final Bungie-developed Halo title before 343 takes over the franchise, it's got some of the biggest multiplayer leaps and bounds that the franchise (and possibly any multiplayer shooter) has ever seen in depth and scope, and above all, it's the portion of the story that I personally have wanted to see visually.  For anyone that has read The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund, the story of Reach's downfall sparking the way between the humans, the Covenant, the Flood, and everything that we've seen in the Halo Universe is the linchpin for me.  It's one of the reasons I dumped the extra $20 for the limited edition to get Dr. Halsey's journal (which happens to be an amazingly in-depth read and a great supplement for fans of The Fall of Reach). 

Regardless of all the ups, there's a ton of downs that I've seen over my time with the game...and it kind of saddens me.  Technical and concept issues abound: 

• Heavy motion blur - This standard of most modern day games seems to be a bit overwrought throughout any play session on Reach, to the point that some folks are citing headaches, nauseousness, and other health issues while playing.  Mind you, all video games have a warning stating that some of the technical aspects of the graphics and/or presentation might cause issues like this, but it's odd to see it happening so late in the franchise.  While the game is absolutely gorgeous, the motion blur can be a massive distraction at times.
    • Depth-of-field weirdness - Most games handle depth-of-field with ease, like the Call of Duty franchise.  Personally, those games set the standard for how to properly handle depth-of-field in a game.  Nonetheless, Reach has a problem with this.  Since there is no aim-down-sights feature (which will be referred to as ADS for the rest of this, if I type it again at all), the way your character focuses on stuff and how that affects the background is incredibly awkward.  In the beginning mission of the campaign, there is a moment where you are flying in to a distress beacon.  Looking directly at your teammates flying next to you will result in proper texture work.  Looking at something else turns them into a blurry mess, and frankly, it's a bit disheartening to see that happen.  There's no real reason why that should happen other than Bungie trying to use some fancy graphical trickery to simulate something that didn't really need to be simulated in the first place.
    • Dramatic frame rate drops - I had heard from a friend that there were points later in the game where the frame rate is nigh unbearable.  I didn't believe that it was that bad...until he showed me.  I'm absolutely surprised at how bad the frame rate gets in those later missions, and I could even see it being a hitch that keeps me from getting the Legendary achievement for playing through it myself.  I'd hate to think what that would be like with 4-player co-op going.
    • No penalty for leaving a multiplayer match - This is one of the most mind-boggling things possible.  In previous Halo games over Xbox Live, leaving a match resulted in a penalty that led to you having to work harder in order to get your ranking back up.  It helped to make sure that people weren't just jumping ship because they were losing or because they weren't getting the high KDRs or whatever that they felt they deserved.  Unfortunately, Reach has NO penalty system whatsoever, which has led to plenty of matches that left me as the only player on a team against three others.  In turn, the online is a little less fun.  Why?  This lack of penalty leading to people jumping ship has caused another serious problem to rear its ugly head...
    • Poor host migration - I can't count on two hands and two feet how many times I have seen a match lead to staring at the score screen while someone is being picked as the new host.  The wait time on this is even longer than the moments that it happens on Modern Warfare 2, leading to many people leaving the match rather than sticking around because...again...there's no penalty.  All that does is cause more host migration issues, and in turn, it's a massive clusterfuck.  It could, quite literally, drive a man insane.
    • Depending too heavily on Firefight-style fights in campaign - So far, I'm only two missions in on Heroic.  I'm going to be starting over on Legendary after seeing my friend basically walking through it, knowing that I'm on the same skill level as he is.  Despite that fact, I've noticed a lot in the campaign how I'm finding myself basically pinned up at an outpost or a particular area, dropships come in to bring down waves of enemies, and I've got to either kill them all or defend against them until someone completes hacking a door or something.  It's one of the issues I had with the ODST campaign as well, since many of the missions in that felt the same way - sectioned-off areas where enemies just swarm you.  It was understandable in ODST, though, as that was the big thing that game brought to the Halo franchise.  The first two Halo games did not have this issue, and even Halo 3's campaign never felt like a Firefight-style setup.  It's a little saddening that the campaign has been brought to this rather than following the tried-and-true formula of previous games.
    • Multiplayer relies heavily on old maps - Many of the Team Slayer maps that I've played are essentially remakes or inspirations of maps from the first three Halo games, particularly Halo 2 it seems.  While those maps are great (and I personally love the remake of Ivory Tower, called Reflection in Reach), I never feel like I'm seeing enough of a rotation in those maps.  A lot of that probably has to do with the "choose your match" setup, where you are allowed to decide which of three game types you want to vote for.  Unfortunately, most of the Halo community seems to only want to play three game types:  SWAT, Slayer DMR, and Snipers.  Notice anything similar there?  It feels as though multiplayer games in general have all succumb to this "almighty headshot" theory, and it's fucking tragic in many ways.  Despite the fun that I have with SWAT, I want to play Halo the way Halo was meant to be played.  Maybe I'm too nostalgic for Halo and Halo 2, and I never played a whole hell of a lot of Halo 3 (as I've been pretty vocal about my feelings on that game many times).  Nonetheless, it'd be nice to see the community offer a little more variety, and if not that, then it'd be nice to see Bungie have a stronger rotation.

All in all, there's a ton of problems I can point out with the game.  Here's the funny thing: 

Halo: Reach is fucking awesome.

Despite all of these problems, I can't put it down.  It's pulled my attention from Starcraft II (at least for now).  The depth of the multiplayer, the commendation system, the armory stuff, the achievements, the avatar awards, the Halo Waypoint connectivity, the modes, the Firefight maps and all the improvements in that mode in general...there is soooooo much about this game that trumps many of these problems in the big picture of it all. 

So, the question I ask is this:  when does the value of a game and everything that package offers end up overriding its problems?  I'd like to think that Bungie will offer some title updates that allow you to turn motion blur and depth-of-field off or at least fixes it, something that adds penalties to multiplayer, better host migration, whatever.  In the end, though, I realize that those things never being fixed...still won't make this a bad game in the least bit. 

Congratulations, Bungie, on making an incredible swan song to your legacy with the Halo franchise.  We applaud you, and I hope you all enjoy the game as much as I have been. 

Until next time, piece. 

P.S. - This is replacing my Uninteresting $#!% blog for the week.  You're welcome.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

How many people are really getting sick from the motion blur? Is it really that bad? 

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i must by reach 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jakob187
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " How many people are really getting sick from the motion blur? Is it really that bad?  "
    It's called simulator sickness, aka motion sickness.  It's just something that happens, but I can say that the motion blur in Reach is layered on pretty damn heavy.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @jakob187 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " How many people are really getting sick from the motion blur? Is it really that bad?  "
    It's called simulator sickness, aka motion sickness.  It's just something that happens, but I can say that the motion blur in Reach is layered on pretty damn heavy. "
    I guess when I get it I will be fine. Im used to fast moving games and motion blur. None of that bothers me. But it seems a poor pick on Bungies part to employ it to make the game run better. 
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TheFreeMan

I've only experienced one really awful frame-rate dip, and that was online multiplayer (two drop shields and six people in extremely close quarters going absolutely batshit with all guns blazing). I'm just about through the campaign now, from what I can tell, so maybe I just haven't been looking at the right spots?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By natetodamax

When you quit a match in Reach you cannot get into another multiplayer match for 15 minutes. That's what I read yesterday.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@The_Laughing_Man: Yeah, it's definitely more noticeable than any previous Halo game, for sure. And given the right television, there are some weird ghosting effects that are still taking place, so shit can get real psychedelic real quick. 
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: Yeah, it's definitely more noticeable than any previous Halo game, for sure. And given the right television, there are some weird ghosting effects that are still taking place, so shit can get real psychedelic real quick.  "
    I never saw it on a quicklook or the short time I played a bit. So maybe I will be fine. 
    illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By illmatic19

I can't even imagine how bad the frame rate would on 4 player local co-op, I shudder at the thought of it.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mikeeegeee
    @The_Laughing_Man:
    I've not found the motion blur to be "that bad." I have found it noticeable, however. Particularly in the very first cinematic... or one of the early ones anyway, just before you start to play the game. Looking across at the other Falcon.... yuck. It's the motion blur. And it's a shame, because had it not been there, it would've looked just fine. Moreover, the Falcon opposite your own was traveling the same speed as you. Sooooo there shouldn't be any blur. When it works, it works. But it's times like that are noticeable and unfortunate.

I've found the campaign to be an absolute blast. The mission variety is excellent thus far (I think I'm halfway through), the AI is awesome (but I've figure those fuckers out), and can I just say that
    I expected it to be filler and poorly done, but it was a blast, and I would whole heartedly support a patched-in multiplayer component with it.

@jakob187:
    Tried online for the first time today. Experienced one host migration and the same community voting issues you spoke of. Seems everyone reallllly loves snipers, DMRs, and Swat. Fortunately, I'm a fan of SWAT... at least for now. Good christ Swat was fun on Cage. I forgot how much the online in these games gets my blood pumping. I don't think I've said "cunt" so much in my life.
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @mikeeegeee said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:
    I've not found the motion blur to be "that bad." I have found it noticeable, however. Particularly in the very first cinematic... or one of the early ones anyway, just before you start to play the game. Looking across at the other Falcon.... yuck. It's the motion blur. And it's a shame, because had it not been there, it would've looked just fine. Moreover, the Falcon opposite your own was traveling the same speed as you. Sooooo there shouldn't be any blur. When it works, it works. But it's times like that are noticeable and unfortunate.

I've found the campaign to be an absolute blast. The mission variety is excellent thus far (I think I'm halfway through), the AI is awesome (but I've figure those fuckers out), and can I just say that
    I expected it to be filler and poorly done, but it was a blast, and I would whole heartedly support a patched-in multiplayer component with it.

@jakob187: Tried online for the first time today. Experienced one host migration and the same community voting issues you spoke of. Seems everyone reallllly loves snipers, DMRs, and Swat. Fortunately, I'm a fan of SWAT... at least for now. Good christ Swat was fun on Cage. I forgot how much the online in these games gets my blood pumping. I don't think I've said "cunt" so much in my life. "
    I did notice that in the quicklook. Right at the start I saw the edges seeming fuzzy. But never again after that. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man: From what I've seen/played, it's mostly in cutscenes where the motion blur is most prominent. Like you said, you might be alright. There was another thread a few days ago that seemed to suggest it's all dependent on what sort of TV you're working with.  

I hope you don't have any problems though, because the game is pretty fucking good. 
    octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By octaslash

You can get a 15 minute "quit ban" if you make a habit out of it.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: From what I've seen/played, it's mostly in cutscenes where the motion blur is most prominent. Like you said, you might be alright. There was another thread a few days ago that seemed to suggest it's all dependent on what sort of TV you're working with.   I hope you don't have any problems though, because the game is pretty fucking good.  "
    I gotta trade in my old 360 and get a new one. 250gig * wanna donate to the cause? lol* then get the game. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187
    @natetodamax said:

" When you quit a match in Reach you cannot get into another multiplayer match for 15 minutes. That's what I read yesterday. "

That's a lie.  If you leave MULTIPLE matches over a course of time, you can't go into another match.  If you leave A match, you are just fine. 

@mikeeegeee: Don't get me wrong - I enjoy SWAT on this game.  However, I think Snipers and DMR is just fucking dull, and I only enjoy SWAT every so often.  It just feels too much like the Halo community saying "oh, hey, these modes make it more like Modern Warfare" without remembering what made Halo awesome in the first place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:
    " @natetodamax said:

" When you quit a match in Reach you cannot get into another multiplayer match for 15 minutes. That's what I read yesterday. "

That's a lie.  If you leave MULTIPLE matches over a course of time, you can't go into another match.  If you leave A match, you are just fine. 

@mikeeegeee: Don't get me wrong - I enjoy SWAT on this game.  However, I think Snipers and DMR is just fucking dull, and I only enjoy SWAT every so often.  It just feels too much like the Halo community saying "oh, hey, these modes make it more like Modern Warfare" without remembering what made Halo awesome in the first place. "
    I agree.  

I mean, the thing that makes Halo, well, Halo is the energy shield/tactical methodology of the combat. I don't mean to just parakeet what the dude-fellas said on the Bombcast, but the game isn't really about being faster at the trigger than your enemy so much as it is outsmarting and outplaying your opponent. 
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By trophyhunter

That's a very odd question actually.
    I would think if a game had good value, it wouldn't have any problems.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jakob187
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @jakob187 said:
    " @natetodamax said:

@mikeeegeee: Don't get me wrong - I enjoy SWAT on this game.  However, I think Snipers and DMR is just fucking dull, and I only enjoy SWAT every so often.  It just feels too much like the Halo community saying "oh, hey, these modes make it more like Modern Warfare" without remembering what made Halo awesome in the first place. "
    I agree.  

I mean, the thing that makes Halo, well, Halo is the energy shield/tactical methodology of the combat. I don't mean to just parakeet what the dude-fellas said on the Bombcast, but the game isn't really about being faster at the trigger than your enemy so much as it is outsmarting and outplaying your opponent.  "
    I wonder if things would be different if they put SWAT/Slayer DMR/Snipers into its own playlist option.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.