Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hard Corps: Uprising

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Feb 16, 2011

Developed by Arc System Works, Hard Corps: Uprising is the spiritual sequel to Contra: Hard Corps available as a downloadable game on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network.

I wasn't sure, but then I saw the intro.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SuperWristBands

I downloaded the trial, didn't really like the 1200 point price tag but gave it a shot because Arc System Works was involved I wanted to check it out.

Then the intro played...

And it was amazing. It's everything right about anime. There are stupid costumes, explosions all over the place, a dude who is always smoking a cigar with a pompadour, samurai ninja ladies, people flying through the air, grabbing onto missiles and using them as transportation, ridiculously over-sized guns, eye-patches, and of course big ass mechs. Oh It also has some kick-ass rock music to go along with it. I think I covered all the bases. 

After watching this I went to the dashboard and gave Microsoft ~$22 so that I could buy this $15 game... stupid point system  :|

Now its time to actually play it!

EDIT: FFS two of the characters in the intro are DLC

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iDarktread
    @Sasran said: 

After watching this I went to the dashboard and gave Microsoft ~$22 so that I could buy this $15 game... stupid point system  :| 

I'll try downloading the demo later, but what do you mean about the point conversion? 

PS: I see you play fighting games, and since today was my first day online with both BBCS and my new, first FightStick, I'll add your PSN in case I get MvC3, which hopefully will be soon.
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @iDarktread said:
    " @Sasran said: 

I'll try downloading the demo later, but what do you mean about the point conversion?  PS: I see you play fighting games, and since today was my first day online with both BBCS and my new, first FightStick, I'll add your PSN in case I get MvC3, which hopefully will be soon. "
    Aw yeah. It's always good to see more people playing BB on here.

By the point system I just mean that to add points I have add 1000 points for ~$14 and then 500 for ~$7.

Oh well, MS already has my money so I might buy one of the DLC characters.
    PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By PatPandaHat

I didn't so much mind the additional two characters being DLC, particularly since my primary interest was solely in the odd samurai-girl and less so the pompadour'd greaser-dude. At an additional 200 points, plus the costs of the original game, I still came in under 20 dollars. Kind of janky, but considering the way playing Sayuri (samurai-girl) changes a lot of how to play, kind of worth it.

I mean, who hasn't wanted to meld Strider and Contra? Just me?

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @PatPandaHat said:
    " I didn't so much mind the additional two characters being DLC, particularly since my primary interest was solely in the odd samurai-girl and less so the pompadour'd greaser-dude. At an additional 200 points, plus the costs of the original game, I still came in under 20 dollars. Kind of janky, but considering the way playing Sayuri (samurai-girl) changes a lot of how to play, kind of worth it.  I mean, who hasn't wanted to meld Strider and Contra? Just me? "
    That does pretty inciting. You have sold me good sir.

Now I just need to finish the first level. I have my doubts that that thing actually ends. For realz, it's got boss's for the mini boss's-mini boss's boss.
    PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PatPandaHat
    @Sasran said:
    "That does pretty inciting. You have sold me good sir.  Now I just need to finish the first level. I have my doubts that that thing actually ends. For realz, it's got boss's for the mini boss's-mini boss's boss. "
    Yeah, it's kind of a pain. I still haven't managed to do it in Arcade mode (it doesn't help that trying to go through as Krystal gives you two freakin' hits), and in Rising mode, I had to grind through a couple times for something like four hits per life, four lives total, plus use a few of my continues just to get through it all. I think I have most of the patterns worked out, it's just a matter of applying them.

Well, that and making that goddamn jump at the end.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The intro was alright but I'm not big on anime.  The actual gameplay didn't impress me as much as I thought it would either. 
    I assumed they only gave you two characters for the demo, considering how much effort clearly went into the game, I can understand the 1,200 point price tag..  But making you pay more for characters that were actually in the intro is just a huge slap in the face.  That's really turned me off buying it, even when it's cheaper.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By JCGamer

This game looks pretty awesome. My question is how hard is it? I would love to play co-op with my wife bit she would get frustrated if the game is impossible. What do you think? Could I play through this withy wife or should I get the Lara Croft game instead?

The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By The_Joker
    @JCGamer said:
    " This game looks pretty awesome. My question is how hard is it? I would love to play co-op with my wife bit she would get frustrated if the game is impossible. What do you think? Could I play through this withy wife or should I get the Lara Croft game instead? "
    This game is needlessly hard. As someone in literally the Exact same boat as you, my gf, who is actually fine with most video games, got frustrated almost immediately. It probably didn't help for her to realize the game is Much easier played alone. After she died. I made it way further because I could focus on dodging way more easily. It really discouraged her. Hard Crops: Uprising just isn't a two player game. With very limited lives and fair...but unfun checkpoints, it's not the feel good side scroller vibe that my gf and I got out of Deathsmiles. Although that game has limited appeal for a myriad of other reasons, Deathsmiles at least had systems in place that encouraged casual play even if you or your player 2 arn't really great at these types of games. I feel like this game is a really weird choice to lead off a promotion because of how niche it is.
    Kaineda77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Kaineda77
    @JCGamer: Why dont you get this and world of keflings, so whenever hard corps get too hard, you can take a break and build a few houses.
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @Kaineda77 said:
    " @JCGamer: Why dont you get this and world of keflings, so whenever hard corps get too hard, you can take a break and build a few houses. "
    Then he'll be building a lot of houses! Zing!

Seriously though, the game is super hard.
    PatPandaHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PatPandaHat
    @The_Joker said:
    "I feel like this game is a really weird choice to lead off a promotion because of how niche it is. "
     Well, I dunno about niche. Under the glossy animated finish, it's still Contra, which is about as non-niche as one can be in the side-scrolling shoot-'em-up genre. Now, Beyond Good & Evil HD, that's going to be a niche game, considering it's an HD remix of what was already a niche game the first time through.

Although, to be absolutely accurate, Bejeweled Blitz is probably the least niche of them all, considering the casual market what outnumbers us all will be buying that. Probably.
    The_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By The_Joker
    @PatPandaHat:  They made it a point to remind us that this game is like Contra, but aside from having Konami's name on it, this isn't really a new Contra. One thing I say to Hard Corps credit is it has an excellent "WARNING MAD BIG BOSS COMMIN ATCHA" sequence. I feel like any game like this needs a really good one of those. Yar's Revenge didn't have one at all, and it's absence was felt in the QL.

I never actually played Beyond Good and Evil but always actively meant to. I always felt like this remake was just for me, but I get the impression even the people who loved it back then arn't really pumped for this HD reboot now. 

While Bejeweled is a casual game to its core, you can't tell me you don't kind of want Bejeweled on your 360.
    Raikoh_oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Raikoh_oni

The intro is sweet and reminds me strongly of the amazing Guilty Gear intros. I can't wait to buy this game but I can't yet tsk tsk...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.