Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heart of Darkness

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released July 1998

When Andy's dog Whisky is kidnapped during a solar eclipse, the brave youth embarks on a 2D platforming adventure across dangerous alien landscapes to rescue him.

Great game.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

This game was great, it was a shame that it was overlooked by a lot of people.  I was suprised by how dark this game was, the creatures looked really sinister and evil and when they killed you, they literally swarmed your body. Great game. Anybody else remember this game? It would be awesome it they re-released it as a xbla game, touched up and a few more new levels. But alas that wouldn't probably happen.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By atejas

This game was fuckwin.

Avatar image for captainslick911
    captainslick911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By captainslick911

Found it very time consuming to much ground to cover.

reflekshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By reflekshun

I have bought this game for PSx but am scared to play it because people say so much about its difficulty.. But first game with a live recorded orchestra for the soundtrack? DANG i gotta try it. Plus, makers of out of this world and flashback? come on, has to have a certain amount of magic in it for sure!

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Daryl

I only got so far :(

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FunExplosions
    @captainslick911 said:
    " Found it very time consuming to much ground to cover. "
    @reflekshun said:
    " I have bought this game for PSx but am scared to play it because people say so much about its difficulty.. But first game with a live recorded orchestra for the soundtrack? DANG i gotta try it. Plus, makers of out of this world and flashback? come on, has to have a certain amount of magic in it for sure! "
    @Daryl said:
    " I only got so far :( "
    I was eight when I beat this amazing game. Just sayin'.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik

Yeah, I also beat this game way back in the day. I remember the very last bit being a bit of a pain in the rear, though. Might have to bust it out again some day!

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FunExplosions
    @buzz_clik: Can't really remember the ending, other than me not liking how the story wrapped up. Hardest part for me was finding a working copy. Every copy I rented froze at some pivotal moment. Like at the swamp creature thing and when you push some boulder down a hill. Damn kids and their greasy disc-grabbing fingers.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By buzz_clik
    @FunExplosions:  I just remember a whole slew of those gloopy black dudes and dying all the time until I got the timing right. Hang on, I'll look for it...

Found it! Ugh. I was right.

As an aside, looking at the creatures now reminds me of Ico...
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Seedofpower

Yeah, I loved that game when I was a kid. Too bad I never finished it. I got to the very end but I never beat the boss.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FunExplosions
    @buzz_clik: Wow, yep. That bridge scene sticks in my memory. And that pink guy getting squished.
    Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#12  Edited By Grumbel
    @reflekshun: Heart of Darkness, just like Another World/Out of this World or Mirrors Edge, to cite a more recent example, isn't hard when you know how to solve the puzzles. It might take many death to figure out the puzzles, but executing the solution isn't all that demanding and you got a ton of reset points and unlimited lives. The whole notion that this type of game is hard is really just a misunderstanding of the game. You will die a lot in this type of games, but that's not because its hard, but because that's part of the play. Just like a point&click adventure will tell you "I can't use these things together" this type of game will kill you. But that's just the way the game tells you "Your solution to this puzzle was wrong", its not a twitch game, but a thinking game.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Legend
    @Grumbel: Wow, you just replied to a comment posted 1 year and 7 months ago. :P 
    Also, HoD is indeed awesome, and everyone should experience it.
    reflekshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By reflekshun
    @Grumbel: Dang awesome reply! Thanks Grumbel, gonna put it higher on the list of 'to plays'! Game looks and sounds freaking awesome
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By tebbit

I remember this game being one of the first with infinite lives (at least for a platformer). It was too scary for me when I played it though, I mean I was 7 at the time and those dark gloop monsters were creepy as all hell!

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Legend
    @reflekshun: How long is this "to play" list anyway? I mean you own the game and still haven't played it in nearly two years!
    reflekshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By reflekshun

LOL its long dude, gog.com isn't helping.. or is helping haha, either way I'm having fun!  

I'm still playing through Persona 3 FES, then I wanna go through P4.. Then I wanna play Beyond Good & Evil again, then some more of Dark Cloud 2, playing through some Painkiller atm, and Masters of Orion 1+2.. these are mostly super long games, and I play on and off between work and making music.. Now you have my whole story of my whole entire life haha    

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Legend
    @reflekshun: lol, yeah, I guess all gamers have the same problem with so many great games coming out. HoD isn't very long, though. You can probably beat it in one day if you know how to get over some of the tricky parts like the one in the video above.
    DanTheGamer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DanTheGamer32

I played this round a friend's house when I was quite young and remember it scared the hell out of me :|

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By cornbredx

I still have this for PC.

Never did finish it. I need to go back to it eventually- maybe. I remember it being really hard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.