Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Demo just killed this game for me.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By galiant

So since I've heard so much about how amazing this game is supposed to be on so many levels, I had to give it a go.  

Bugs. Glitches. Graphical oddities wherever I looked, trying to get out of the car it alternated between the man sitting in the car and the man getting out of the car. Talking to the prostitute, the camera mostly focused on the wall. Sometimes her face would be there, only to glide away through the bed and out of picture.

The fight scene in the prostitute's room, which I think worked as intended, was very interesting. I'm thoroughly disappointed in this demo because of it, it feels like such a letdown to have a game riddled with strange graphical glitches when the fightscene actually got my heart beating faster and felt so fresh compared to other games I've played, even if it's really just glorified quicktime event.

Has anyone else had a similarly unfortunate first experience with Heavy Rain, or is it just me...? I'm bracing myself for another go, because if all of that would've worked the way it should...I'm hoping I'll walk away more impressed than annoyed.

Please don't let the final game contain glitches like this.

UPDATE 18/2/2010: I've tried the demo again, and I'm happy to report none of the glitches mentioned above were present this time around. Hopefuly it was just a one time thing, bad luck on my part - because glitches like that in a game like this really ruins the mood and the experience. I do know how to follow prompts (I'm surprised people even mentioned that, the prompts are not hard and the instructions are not complicated), and I know when something looks so messed up it's not supposed to be in the game in the first place! The fact that my second playthrough was so different only confirms this for me. Having seen the game the way it was meant to be has peaked my interest for it once more, and I might pick it up one day when I can get it for cheap.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By jkz
    @Galiant said:
    " So since I've heard so much about how amazing this game is supposed to be on so many levels, I had to give it a go.   Bugs. Glitches. Graphical oddities wherever I looked, trying to get out of the car it alternated between the man sitting in the car and the man getting out of the car. Talking to the prostitute, the camera mostly focused on the wall. Sometimes her face would be there, only to glide away through the bed and out of picture.  The fight scene in the prostitutes room, which I think worked as intended, was very interesting. I'm thoroughly disappointed in this demo because of it, it feels like such a letdown to have a game riddled with strange graphical glitches when the fightscene actually got my heart beating faster and felt so fresh compared to other games I've played, even if it's really just glorified quicktime event.  Has anyone else had a similarly unfortunate first experience with Heavy Rain, or is it just me...? I'm bracing myself for another go, because if all of that would've worked the way it should...I'm hoping I'll walk away more impressed than annoyed.  Please don't let the final game contain glitches like this. "
    Wha.....I've played it 4 times and not experienced a single glitch....am I just lucky?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @Galiant said:
    " So since I've heard so much about how amazing this game is supposed to be on so many levels, I had to give it a go.   Bugs. Glitches. Graphical oddities wherever I looked, trying to get out of the car it alternated between the man sitting in the car and the man getting out of the car. Talking to the prostitute, the camera mostly focused on the wall. Sometimes her face would be there, only to glide away through the bed and out of picture.  The fight scene in the prostitutes room, which I think worked as intended, was very interesting. I'm thoroughly disappointed in this demo because of it, it feels like such a letdown to have a game riddled with strange graphical glitches when the fightscene actually got my heart beating faster and felt so fresh compared to other games I've played, even if it's really just glorified quicktime event.  Has anyone else had a similarly unfortunate first experience with Heavy Rain, or is it just me...? I'm bracing myself for another go, because if all of that would've worked the way it should...I'm hoping I'll walk away more impressed than annoyed.  Please don't let the final game contain glitches like this. "
    Wha.....I've played it 4 times and not experienced a single glitch....am I just lucky? "
    I have not either.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Phished0ne

Nope...something smells fishy here, i just played the demo and its fine, no glitches, no bugs, and a great demo!

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By galiant

...then maybe it's just me being unlucky? I sure hope this was a one time thing!

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By yani

The only glitch I noticed was a random floating cigarette that appeared after she lit up. It just hung in the air to the right of her bed...

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By FireBurger
    @Galiant: Make sure to use L1 to change the camera angle. Also, during the prostitute scene, you can move around and interact with different object to get different angles. As far as the car part, make sure you look for all of the cues onscreen. You may have been hitting the wrong one? 

I haven't had any issues with the game. My biggest gripe is that it seems that the movement is different just to be different. I would rather it just be on the left analog and then hold R2 to look.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ghostiet

Probably, as I didn't see any glitches. Some minor imperfections, like the stiff turning, Lauren's feet looking off or that the puddles weren't reacting to the car's wheels, but that's shit that you need to focus on to notice in general. But no bugs, camera problems or animation glitches. Maybe your install got screwed up or something?

And I loooooooved them balls. I mean, fighting scene. From what I saw in this demo, it looks that Quantic Dream had proven that such a piece of shit concept as QTEs is can be actually fun if someone has the imagination to execute it properly.

callumbay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By callumbay

I've played through it numerous times (about three or four) and haven't experienced any glitches... 

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By weltal
    @yani said:
    " The only glitch I noticed was a random floating cigarette that appeared after she lit up. It just hung in the air to the right of her bed... "
    Yeah, I had the same thing. Other than that I didn't notice any glitches.
    krummey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By krummey

I'm pretty excited about this game.  I am afraid that the voice acting may be a huge turnoff for me.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ninjakiller

I haven't experienced a single glitch that you mentioned.  No glitches at all for me. 

astrozombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By astrozombie

I didn't experience a single glitch. Great demo.
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By m1k3

your probably gonna hate this, but you should re-download the demo if it glitches up on you again.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aetos

I didn't notice any glitches at all. Everything ran smoothly for me. Maybe you should redownload and try again.

Hope it works better the second time through.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Cube

No glitches at all here. When the demo finished I got a very special feeling about this game. The mood was just incredible, it drew me in big time.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @CL60 said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " @Galiant said:
    Wha.....I've played it 4 times and not experienced a single glitch....am I just lucky? "
    I have not either. "
    I have not either... either.
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DAFTPUNK
    @CL60 said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " @Galiant said:
    I have not either. "
    no glitches for me;)
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By JoelTGM

You have to read the text.  It was alternating between getting out and in the car because you control it and how fast he does it using the analog stick.  It explained that, and that you have to move the stick all the way to complete the motion, I don't know if you read it and still had the problem or not, but I didn't have the problem.  Also, when standing still, the left stick turns your head, changing the view, so if you held it down at all, or maybe your analog stick is broken, it would cause you to look away.

Ataxia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ataxia

what the hell did you play it on??? never exeperienced any of this. lol :)
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Rhaknar

no glitches for me, and no glitches in the quicklook...

admordem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By admordem

Starting to look like it might be your hardware, and not the software, considering these problems seem to be isolated to your machine alone.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Venatio

I have just had one BIG problem with the demo, the game itself seems great but at the crime scene part my screen went dark, when I stepped in front of the ambulance and a VERY loud noise started, it locked up my PS3 and I had to reset

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy

How the hell could such a scripted game like this have glitches?

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dawglet

I had the same problem with the prostitute sliding all over the room. I downloaded the European demo with a code from that one website a week ago, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By TheHT

lol the only glitch i had was when the detective comes to ask if i wanna leave, he was standing inside that fuse box thing on the wasteland.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I have had none of these issues.

electricfuzz9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By electricfuzz9

i had the issue with the prostitute gliding. She would be in frame, and then she would float to her bedside, leaving me staring at a blank wall.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By Jost1

People were saying it's not just a glorified Dragon's Lair, but man the action sequences really are just Dragon's Lair.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gruff182

Demo just sold this game for me.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TwoOneFive

this thread is a fucking fail.  

I have experienced a single glitch and i have played through it multiple times, you can watch the GB quick look and not a single glitch their either.  
    this a bullshit thread and OP is a dumb gamer who can't follow simple QTE prompts. 

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By rjayb89

Redownload it or something.  Weird that you experienced that many abnormalities with the demo because it played and looked perfectly fine.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By galiant
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " this thread is a fucking fail.   I have experienced a single glitch and i have played through it multiple times, you can watch the GB quick look and not a single glitch their either.  this a bullshit thread and OP is a dumb gamer who can't follow simple QTE prompts.  "
    Oh, hey there, glad you could stop by to comment on my thread!

I know how to follow prompts. In fact, my second playthrough of the demo was nothing like the first one because the glitches weren't there. If you had read the thread, you'd see that there are atleast two people that replied to this thread who experienced the same issues that I did. I'm glad you didn't have to experience any of them because they were pretty bad, totally ruined the mood.

I think I'll update my original post with this information.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By TheHBK

The demo killed it for me because it seemed so boring.  Yeah, seems like a cool investigation thing but, oragmi killer, uh... seems retarded.  The voice acting on the part of everyone except the fat PI was terrible.  And the most interesting gameplay part was running around using your super spy glasses to look for clues.  That took me out of the gritty nature of the game.  I wish they would have approached it differently, more realistic instead of just coming up with glasses that highlight shit you should take a look at.  Make a real mystery game and make me look for it, to check out the scenery and where stuff might be.  Using a UV light at most.  Not fucking 3d glasses.

Ihatespaces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ihatespaces

I... didn't have any problems with the demo. Everything ran very smoothly for me, honestly. The camera and movement did take some getting used to but in all honesty they are very minor problems and I got pretty used to them after a little bit.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Galiant: Glad you got everything fixed, I had a great experience with the demo, would have hated for my first experience with the game be soured like that.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Galiant: I think I know the problem 

Are you trying to play it as a normal game and using two sticks to move? Because that would explain some of those glitches if you are trying to move but keep doing expressions instead...
    galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By galiant
    @Whisperkill said:
    " @Galiant: I think I know the problem  Are you trying to play it as a normal game and using two sticks to move? Because that would explain some of those glitches if you are trying to move but keep doing expressions instead... "
    Nope, been playing it the way the game is telling me to play it. If I was using the two sticks to move, that would hardly make the prostitute glide across the floor to the bed and back...
    NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NickLott

I haven't had any glitches. You could certainly make the argument the controls are a bit awkward and really won't get to the point of ever really being intuitive as every input action is contextual. But, it's still intriguing enough for me to keep my Amazon preorder. 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Galiant said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    " @Galiant: I think I know the problem  Are you trying to play it as a normal game and using two sticks to move? Because that would explain some of those glitches if you are trying to move but keep doing expressions instead... "
    Nope, been playing it the way the game is telling me to play it. If I was using the two sticks to move, that would hardly make the prostitute glide across the floor to the bed and back... "
    It seems to be based on the discussion choices you make. I also had her gliding across the floor, between sitting on the bed and standing at the window - and her split-screen camera was almost always focused on a wall. I watched the GB Quicklook and they did not have anywhere near as long a conversation with her as I did in my playthrough so I'm assuming that's why it didn't happen in their play through.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SSully

I had this glitch the first time i booted it up, but instead of comming to a forum and complaining i did the logical thing, restarted the demo and see if the problem persists. I have played the demo 4 times since then and have not had the glitch happen again, i suggest you do the same.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By haggis

While I was disappointed by the demo and bored by the gameplay (enough that I'm sure I won't buy the game), I only experienced a few weird graphical glitches, including the aforementioned floating cig. The glitches weren't worse than any other recent game I've seen.

CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By CraigAA1028
    @Galiant: Having played the whole game, I can say that your concerns are understandable, but you don't need to worry. There have been some graphical glitches during my time withhe game, but they aren't common. Noticeable ones includes NPC's in crowded areas clipping right through the playable character during some animations. And the controls can occasionally get in the way, but again, it does not happen very often. I strongly recommend playing it, if not purchasing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.