Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Heavy Rain's Really Dark... Really Dark [No Spoilers]

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

I was lucky enough to receive my Heavy Rain review copy from Sony this week, and I've played about 4 hours of the game. I've been following the game since its formal announcement at GamesCom in 2008 and I went into it knowing exactly what to expect, but nothing's really prepared me for this. This game is dark. I knew it was going to be dark, like I say, I've been following it since it was announced, but pfft...

It's perhaps a reflection of the game's quality that it's had my heart pumping at points, it's made me jump once, and just a moment ago, I actually had to turn it off. It just continually gets more and more depressing, I was exhausted after my four hour session and actually quit out.

I guess, brace yourselves. I hope none of this comes across as hyperbole, and spoils your first playthrough. Honestly, it's given me that dipping feeling you get in your stomach when you get bad news. It's tiring.

It actually takes an emotional toll, at least it is doing so on me. I just can't see how things can get worse for the characters.

LRP21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LRP21

This is good, you should start a new topic based on game spoilers, I really want to know who the killer is before I begin playing.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Baillie

Review copy, really? You dick. I've been waiting ever since the casting video! 

Anyway, this all sounds pretty good so far - don't go spoiling like LRP21 wants you to, I might click the link by accident!

LRP21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LRP21
    @Baillie: Just stay away from the Heavy Rain forum lol, you don't know how  bad I want to know who the killer is, it reminds me of watching the movie SE7EN.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By get2sammyb

I know how gutted I'd be if I read spoilers for this so I'm saying nothing spoiler-wise. It's best for you to discover the story yourself, and I don't think a Colombo style scenario would work to the game's advantage.

It's really cool how you can play the game in a certain "style". The characters are really flexible, there are so many decisions to make and there's never really the wrong choice.

There are also some really tense moments. Like white knuckle.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Milkman

Well, I did notice in the demo was REALLY dark. And by dark, I mean I literally could not see what was in front of me. I had to bump up to brightness all the way.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what you're saying is that Heavy Rain will drain me of my life force and steal my soul?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Milkman said:
    " Well, I did notice in the demo was REALLY dark. And by dark, I mean I literally could not see what was in front of me. I had to bump up to brightness all the way. "
    I had to turn the darkness down a chug actually. I haven't played the demo, so I don't know if the options are there, but the game gives you one of those brightness meter things at the start so you can tweak it to the right level.
    Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Like so many other times this past year, I have to say that I wish I had a PS3... Heavy Rain sounds amazing, here's hoping I get to play it eventually.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sixghost

It sucks that this is a PS3 exclusive. Indigo Prophecy was pretty awesome until the plot just started getting retarded. Hopefully they learned from their mistakes and kept the ending within the realm of reality this time.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By weltal

I had the begining spoiled for my by John Davison. Largely so he could complain that his child is smarter than a character in the games child.

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FartyMcNarly

Hyperbole

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Griddler

That's interesting, a game has never done that to me before, I look forward to your review.

Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lamashtu

Man, it just occured to me that that's going to be one hell of a plot summary someone is going to have to write on the entry for this game on Wikipedia.  

Youtube is going to finally back up like a clogged toilet with all the outcome possibilities from people's playthroughs too.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By demontium
    @LRP21 said:
    " This is good, you should start a new topic based on game spoilers, I really want to know who the killer is before I begin playing. "

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It sounds like a really emotionally powerful game and that a game can have this kind of effect on someone is an amazing thing. I really wish I could get the opportunity to play it.

jahkua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By jahkua

The game's story is making me very curious and anxious to play it.  It seems like the player's actions have a toll on the game that's actually worth caring about.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By fripplebubby

This game also depresses me... 

BECAUSE IT'S NOT ON PC!!!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By TheHT
    @S0ndor said:
    " So what you're saying is that Heavy Rain will drain me of my life force and steal my soul? "
    that sounds just awful! still can't wait to play it though. D:
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By get2sammyb

So just update for everyone. I beat the game at the weekend (spoiler free review here if you want to read it) and really enjoyed it. The way the story culminates is pretty brilliant. It throws a lot of red herrings at you but by the end you do get an "ah-hah it all makes sense" moment which is pretty awesome. I'll be interested to know just how many people genuinely guess the ending. I certainly didn't and I was really studying everything.

I hope plenty of people give the game a chance. It really is original, and it's SO much better than Fahrenheit (which I loved). Some of the scenes are so clever, and visually it's fantastic. It's obviously a different type of game to the likes of GT5, Uncharted 2 and Killzone, but it obviously once again shows just what can be achieved when developing specifically for the PS3.

The voice acting is patchy, but I still reckon it's a step ahead of most other PS3 titles. I think Scott Shelby's brilliant.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Mayu_Zane

Good to hear that it's an improvement over Fahrenheit. Also, heck yeah Scott Shelby is one cool dude.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.