Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Multiple playthroughs of Heavy Rain could 'kill the magic of it'

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By asurastrike

From David Cage of Quantic Dreams

"

G4: Since the story branches in so many different ways because there’s so many ways to play the game, have you done focus testing and found an average of how many times people played through the game?

Cage: You know, personally, I would like people to play it once.

G4: That’s it?

Cage: That’s it because that’s life. Life you can only play once. When you make choices, you rarely have a chance to go back and say “Hey, what if I was doing something else?” Well, you know what? You made the choice; that’s it. I would like people to have this experience that way, but the game allows you play as many times as you want, of course, and I’m fine with that, but the right way to enjoy Heavy Rain is really to make one thing because it’s going to be your story. It’s going to be unique to you. It’s really the story you decided to write, and that will be a different story from someone else. And, again, I think playing it several times is also a way to kill the magic of it. Well, anyway, people will play it the way they want."

http://g4tv.com/games/ps3/36147/heavy-rain/articles/68230/Changing-The-Game-The-Quantic-Dream-Heavy-Rain-Interview-Part-Two/

They want you to rent their game apparently.
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ArcBorealis

He's not saying to just rent it. What he means is that while you CAN do multiple play throughs of the game, none of those will give you the same feeling you had when you played it the first time. Works with EVERY game, and this one will be no different. You can't rewind life everytime you did something stupid. This game is, like he said, your story, and you should treat it as if you were living out that story.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I recall Molyneux saying similar things about both Fable games and that never stopped anyone from playing through the game two or more times to see everything. Similarly, nothing will stop me from playing through Heavy Rain multiple times if/when I get it and a PS3.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By asurastrike
    @Alaska_Gamer said:
    "

He's not saying to just rent it. What he means is that while you CAN do multiple play throughs of the game, none of those will give you the same feeling you had when you played it the first time. Works with EVERY game, and this one will be no different. You can't rewind life everytime you did something stupid. This game is, like he said, your story, and you should treat it as if you were living out that story.

"
    If that was what he was saying, then it applies to every game and didn't need to be said. He clearly said "I would like people to play it once. ".

He even says the right way to play Heavy Rain is to play it once.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

He is taking that Molyneux-like stance of being too deep about his game.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By DJJoeJoe

Well the fact that the game allows you to progress regardless of your failures (fable gameovers if you fail a mission for example, and most other games stop when you die) it warrants that this game is 'more' deserving of that sort of 'one life' mentality. Instead of playing the game quick saving every step like some, this game complements a player that 'lives with his mistakes'. Like Dave talked about when playing through Dragon Age origins, he likes playing games and living with his mistakes, even if that means he loses a party member or whatever. Heavy Rain is built to complement that totally, considering many of the main characters can die very early in the game or whenever, and the story not only progresses but takes those into account as much as it can. 

So glitches and game crashes aside, I definitely plan to at least have my first play through a none-stop solid experience including any and all the stupid mistakes I make throughout. For example from the sequence we've seen, if I screwed up and made a sound in the corner store and got shot I'd not restart just to finish that part still alive. I think there's something about playing that way which makes the game a bit more meaningful. There was recently similar buzz about playing through Farcry 2 without being killed, deleting your gamesave if you died or something like that.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Dark_Jon

When I play Bioware games, I always make a decision and immediately load the game to see what would've happened if I chose something else. I could see my self doing this is Heavy Rain too. I'm too curious for my own good.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By Deusoma

The more I hear about Heavy Rain, the more it sounds like some kind of bullshit collegiate experimental film, and the less it appeals to me. I've suspected for months I wasn't going to play it, but this just cements it.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SonicBoyster

It's a game designed to play like a movie.  I'm not sure why that surprises people, as that's what it has been since they started production.  That's what Indigo Prophecy was.  If you don't want to play that kind of game don't play it?  Personally I'm thrilled with the concept of a game that allows you to "fail" and move on.  I enjoyed Indigo Prophecy and I enjoy cinematic experiences.  If the stupid game wasn't PS3 exclusive I'd jump on the opportunity to play it.  I completely understand where he's coming from with this as far as his "film" is concerned... You make it personal, and that's the only connection you have with the characters.  It's more significant in a game that is trying to be cinematic or trying to be like life... It takes the drama out of a character death when you load up another save and save them, or play the game over again 10 times and break them down to a series of quick time events and fixed dialogue.

I'd still play it ten times though.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cornman89

Boy, that's certainly an odd thing to say about your game.

carolynp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By carolynp

I totally get what he's saying. I kinda feel this way about Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.  On my first playthrough of that game, i tried as much as possible to answer the questions honestly, and after discussing things with others, I actually am surprised by some of the ways in which the experience was tailored based on my input. Replaying the game would perhaps "kill the magic" a bit, revealing the machinations behind why this happened as opposed to that. 

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By TheHBK

This game has magic in it?  Fuck that, I am not buying this piece of shit anymore.

Avatar image for turboninjapanda
    TurboNinjaPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TurboNinjaPanda
    @Diamond said:
    " He is taking that Molyneux-like stance of being too deep about his game. "
    I couldn't have said it better myself.  For all this talk coming out of Quantic Dream, they better deliver big.  Why would a developer want to set expectations for their game so high?
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sixghost

Charge $30 for it if you only want people to play it once.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By aaox

From the minds of developers with a massive belief in their product:
    "Don't play my game more than once! It's too deep!" 
    -David Cage 
    "Play my game more than once, it's too deep!" 
    -Peter Molyneux

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By TheHT

that's how i play most sorta choose your own adventure games. at the end i'm usually satisfied and playing it again seems like it would be playing some alternate non-canon universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.