Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Heavy Rain

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jan 25, 2010

An interactive thriller from the studio behind Indigo Prophecy, sporting a dark storyline involving the investigation of a mysterious serial killer.

Worth buying a PS3 for heavy rain?

skavanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By skavanker

Is this game worthy of me buying a PS3?

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FartyMcNarly

No

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dtat

Hmmm. not by itself. It has zero replay value. I'd say this, Uncharted, and maybe inFAMOUS would be a good start. Don't buy it just for Heavy Rain though.
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TotalEklypse

Who the hell buys a console for one game? Bow your head in shame.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

heavy rain, god of war, infamous, uncharted............... buying a PS3 is worth it for lots of fucking games, not just heavy rain

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " heavy rain, god of war, infamous, uncharted............... buying a PS3 is worth it for lots of fucking games, not just heavy rain "
    This
    JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By JeevesPleez
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Akeldama

Just buy the PS3.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I just bought one two weeks and I love it. I would avoid Heavy Rain first though. Go with Uncharted and inFamous first. Not to mention you probably won't have enough time for Heavy Rain because you'd need to catch up on Sony's best market idea ever The Tester.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Addfwyn

No one game is worth buying a console for, as has been said.  Even though I love Heavy Rain, it isn't either. 

Is it worth buying when you get a PS3?  Yes.   
    Is a PS3 worth buying?  Yes 

So yes, buy a PS3 and Heavy Rain.  But you may want to buy other stuff too.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#12  Edited By EpicSteve
    @Addfwyn said:
    " No one game is worth buying a console for, as has been said.  Even though I love Heavy Rain, it isn't either.  Is it worth buying when you get a PS3?  Yes.   Is a PS3 worth buying?  Yes  So yes, buy a PS3 and Heavy Rain.  But you may want to buy other stuff too. "
    Bam!
    Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Daroki

Heavy Rain wasn't the game I purchased my PS3 for, but it's the one that pushed me over the edge.  In the two weeks I had the PS3 before Heavy Rain came out I got to play Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles (come on, it's $20 at  Gamestop!), and Demon's Souls while my wife got to play Katamari Forever and Little Big Planet.  If you're getting your first PS3, the great thing is there are unbelievable games to be had at relatively cheap prices which can keep you entertained long after the experience of Heavy Rain wears off and for a long time to come. 

Is it worth it on it's own?  No, it's a great game, but no game by itself can justify the purchase of a $300 machine.  Look over the entire library though and you should find enough there to justify a purchase, especially if you can find a 120GB model (and at $350, the 250GB model's not a bad buy either, although it's ability to use SATA hard drives makes the size of the one it comes with not as important since you can upgrade it to a massive system on the cheap.)

If you have a PS3, by all means, buy Heavy Rain (rent it or Gamefly it if finances force you to do so, I specifically pre-ordered and bought it because I wanted to show support and that I want MORE games pushing this style forward), but spend the 8-10 hours with it since it is a system defining game (like Halo 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Nintendogs, and God of War: Chains of Olympus are for the Xbox 360, Wii, DS, and PSP respectively), but don't get one just for that game.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FCKSNAP

Don't forget PSN games, quality is assured to you!

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Impossibilium
    @skavanker said:
    " kk...so the list is. :P

1. Everything

"

There, I fixed your list for you.  :D
    Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Castro

When the Xbox 360 first came out, the only game worth owning for it was Geometry Wars. It took it about a year and a half before it was ACTUALLY worth owning. It was the same way with the PS3. If you want to spend that kind of money for Heavy Rain, then I would suggest that you send me your PS3 once your done with it. If you don't send me your PS3 at that point, you will find that there are a ton of great games for it as well.

Also, it'll be a nice backup in case your 360 gets the red ring of death. Most games are multiplatform anyway so you can just get them for the PS3 instead while your 360 is getting repaired.

Also, I think that this is probably a joke thread.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By triple07

I wouldn't say its worth it just for Heavy Rain but there are plenty of good games for the PS3 so if you want to play those and you have the money to spare then maybe consider getting a PS3.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cspiffo

Heavy rain is truly amazing It's definately worth at the very least a rental for one play through.  Once you start you won't be able to stop playing til you complete it.  I don't necessarily agree that there is no replay value since the game is <10 hrs and can be completed a number of vastly different ways.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By GunstarRed

Depends on how soon you would buy another game after it... Heavy rain is fantastic but not for everyone. One of the Uncharted games or Metal gear are much safer first choices to go with.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By Marz

you buy a ps3 to play MGS4, Uncharted, Uncharted 2, Killzone 2.   Not Heavy Rain.  Heavy Rain is a rental at best because it's a quick fun ride but not something you'll drive every day.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chrissedoff

not by itself, but for h.r., uncharted and (my personal favorite) mlb the show 10, sure. skip metal gear, the whole metal gear universe has been an absolute mess since mgs 2, and 4 only makes it worse

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MrKlorox

HR is the only exclusive that has really pushed me to getting one. I would have gotten one on the 8th if they weren't sold out all over town. Gonna have to wait until next week. Other than HR, there's Blu-Ray... and that's about all that interests me. 

I'm so burnt out on singleplayer shooters, so Uncharted and KZ aren't what I'm looking for. MGS lost me at 2. God of War has never interested me. That leaves LBP and a slew of Japanese stuff that has hardly changed in 12 years. And I'm only interested in LBP for the curiosity factor... I don't expect to start making levels or downloading many.

What exclusives are there for me? The only thing I can think of is Rockstar North's Agent. Maybe Infamous (I enjoyed Prototype) and 3D Dot Game Heroes.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RagingLion

I've been pretty much wondering the exact same thing.  Heavy Rain is almost single-handedly tempting me to get a PS3 with The Last Guardian being a strong follow-up reason.  Other than that the Uncharted Series, Flower, LBP, maybe Demon Souls make for solid stuff I'd very much like to check out.

nywt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By nywt

I don't know if it's worth buying for just Heavy Rain but I bought a PS3 for four games, Uncharted 1&2, Heavy Rain, and God of War 3. To me, those all combined are definitely worth owning a PS3.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Joeyoe31

Buying a console for ONE GAME is completely pointless. What you should be asking yourself is what games are out that i wanna get when i buy a new console.

So the question is do you have enough games making a ps3 a worth while purchase?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.