Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

Homefront for $42

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Slaker117

So maybe the game wasn't too great, but the good news is that it has already been discounted! Amazon and Walmart are listing it at $42 new, and considering that this is only the second day of release, that's a pretty impressive savings. I haven't played it myself, but Homefront seemed like it was at least okay. Such a quick price cut is a little concerning, though if you were already thinking about checking it out, this might be reason enough to pick it up.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I wonder how long it will take before it goes to 20. 

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By nintendoeats

This is a 10 dollar purchase for me.

iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By iDarktread
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " I wonder how long it will take before it goes to 20.  "
    Yeah, just wait a month and it will drop to a lot less than 40.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By buzz_killington

This is apparently a one day deal kind of thing, the price hasn't dropped yet.

Morridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Morridin

Yeah, got it yesterday, gonna finish it later on and then I'll return it tomorrow I guess.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Slaker117
    @buzz_killington:  Ok, that makes it less weird, but maybe it should have launched at this price to begin with...
    sublime90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By sublime90

makes me kind of mad. if i waited 1 extra day i would have saved 18 dollars. but i at least got $15 game credit to use on crysis 2

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slaker117
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Slaker117 said:
    " Walmart too apparently. "
    So that makes me think its not a sale...
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By louiedog
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Slaker117 said:
    " Walmart too apparently. "
    So that makes me think its not a sale... "
    Walmart had it at that price first and Amazon is great about matching. I'm sure the people at cheapassgamer hammered the "tell us about a lower price" feature as they usually do, to avoid tax and use a better retailer. I don't think THQ is behind this.
    Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By shivermetimbers

I would hate to see THQ fall because they have many great titles coming out.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Slaker117
    @shivermetimbers:  I really doubt that they would fall apart after just one game. It was a pretty big blow against them, but you don't cut and run when you still have investments in games that haven't seen market yet unless things go really sideways.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By pweidman
    @Slaker117 said:
    " @shivermetimbers:  I really doubt that they would fall apart after just one game. It was a pretty big blow against them, but you don't cut and run when you still have investments in games that haven't seen market yet unless things go really sideways. "

How was Homefront a big blow against THQ??  Their servers are slammed for the mp around the globe.  They've had to open many more up to meet the unexpected high demand. I bet it has sold pretty well already, despite the mixed reviews.  I'm playing the sp for now and it's actually pretty good, just a little too short, and what little mp I've been able to join is fun and runs very smooth.  This game will make THQ money, and prolly ensure a sequel.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Slaker117
    @pweidman:  I don't know how it did sales wise, but THQ stock took about a 25% drop yesterday, the day the game shipped and embargoes were lifted. Investors cited disappointing review scores as the main reason for backing out. It's very reactionary and shortsighted, but that's the way the American market rolls. The initial financial impact of Homefront was not good, though we'll have to wait to see how it plays out in the long run.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By Marz

The stockholders don't really care bout the reviews, they only care about the money they get.  Homefront may not be spectacular but it will definitely sell well regardless because the first person shooter market is so huge and it's being released at a time where people tired of black ops or bad company 2 will want something different to play while they wait for the next big release.  It's Medal of Honor 2010 syndrome, people say it's a bust but it really wasn't when it sold a few million copies.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Slaker117
    @Marz:  I'd dare to say you're probably right, and Homefront will probably sell pretty well, but obviously some shareholders care about reviews if the stock price fell so rapidly yesterday. Also, THQ isn't as established as EA, people get more concerned in it's stability if a flagship product scores poorly, where they know EA can take a few hits.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187
    @iDarktread said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " I wonder how long it will take before it goes to 20.  "
    Yeah, just wait a month and it will drop to a lot less than 40. "
    Exactly what I'm doing.  From what I'm to understand, the multiplayer might actually be able to hang around for a little while, so I figure I'll pick it up at a price that won't disappoint me as much.
    bkfountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bkfountain

It's hard to not feel ripped the hell off when the game drops $20 a day after release when I can't even play it as advertised due to THQ's incompetence. The SP is mediocre, and I haven't even really had a chance to play the MP on the 360 due to their server problems. I already accepted taking a loss with this shit and threw it up on ebay. 

fuck you THQ.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster

I just played it for 10 minutes and stuck it back into its Gamefly envelope. It's definitely not worth $42

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By HydraHam

I paid $65 on launch, worth every penny to me i absolutely love the SP, kinda pissed it dropped 20+ bucks day after launch? yes.. but hopefully enough people did buy it day 1 and buy this to warrant a sequel or for THQ to do more games like this.

i dig it more than the COD series, SP could of been longer though.

IcySandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IcySandman

I preordered, if you're getting it for SP I wouldn't say it's worth it.  MP otherwise, I'm digging.  It seems like an older online FPS...I guess Delta Force Black Hawk Down mixed with modern FPS elements.  Battle Points system is pretty neat, I like saving for an APC/Apache and tearing up the place.  I'd say wait for a sale though, I mainly got it for MP and Metro 2033, like below 40$.  I hope for a sequel though, it'd be nice to see them improve.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By sixghost
    @bkfountain said:
    " It's hard to not feel ripped the hell off when the game drops $20 a day after release when I can't even play it as advertised due to THQ's incompetence. The SP is mediocre, and I haven't even really had a chance to play the MP on the 360 due to their server problems. I already accepted taking a loss with this shit and threw it up on ebay.  fuck you THQ. "
    Never buy games day one, never buy games day one, never buy games day one.

I honestly can't understand day one purchases these days. It's becoming extremely common for big games to get a $10/20 price cut on amazon not even two weeks after release. Happened with DS2, AC:B, Need for Speed.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Slaker117

Just wondering, for those hoping for a sequel, I'm assuming that it doesn't end with the problem of Korea invading the US, right? It would be really lame if we won, but then they invade and take over again.

CmdrSheppard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CmdrSheppard

I was just at Blockbuster and they only had like 6 areas for Homefront disks, and all of them were taken.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Like Frontlines before it, Homefront has a fun multiplayer that'll tide people over until Crysis 2 is released.

They'll probably release a patch to add more players to servers like they did with Frontlines too...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.