Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Homefront

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 15, 2011

By the year 2027, the North Koreans have managed to unify Korea, annex Japan, and also invade the western half of the United States. As an American rebel fighter, it is the player's duty to help push the NPA out of the United States and end the citizens' suffering.

What happened to the "Drama Engine"?

derekh1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By derekh1029

The thing that got me so excited about this game was interviews from way back during E3 2009. I have been looking forward to Homefront for a long time now. One of the things I was most excited about was the "Drama Engine" that they kept talking about during that E3 in interviews like this or preview articles like this. Things like exploding cars or ragdolled bodies were supposed to be thrown right past your vision to keep you in the action. It seemed like a pretty cool idea. But now I have played half way through the game already and this game couldn't seem more boring... I have had no intense explosions or anything hurdled towards me in any sort of dynamic way. Everything exciting that happens has all been scripted with no effect from me. Where did the drama Engine go? I was really excited for this.

Other thoughts on the game... the animation is really stilted and the scripting is really buggy. The game just seems really old school. AI players will get stuck or stand in your way. At one point I was following an AI character out through an open garage and I immediately turned around and the garage door magically appeared to keep me from going back This happened a couple other times with some doorways. Another issue I have is during the less action packed parts of the game where you are walking through a labor camp or through a hideout talking to citizens your character is forced into an excruciatingly slow walk that might as well be a crawl. It feels like it takes forever just to get from character to character or to the next objective. ITS SO SLOW!!! It also doesnt help when you are following characters and listening to the story take place and then you see down an opposite long hallway or on the opposite side of a large clearing one of the games collectibles. You have to slowly work your way to the item and by the time you get there the AI characters have already made it to the next point of the scripting that they are waiting for you to trigger and they will just keep yelling at you to hurry up and you can do nothing about it because you are stuck in this slow walking animation and cant do anything about it. Its kinda frustrating IDK what they were thinking. Keep in mind these areas are not even large they are mostly narrow corridors to guide you through the game but when they make you walk that slow it just doesn't make any sense.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

O u mean modified Unreal Engine 3. 

Kaos knows multiplayer and should stay with it.

VarkhanMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By VarkhanMB

I was excited for this game mostly because of said Drama Engine, but it's all the more frustrating now that nobody is seeing the fruits of it. I wonder if it got dialed down to the point where we don't see the difference, or if it's been canned (like Dead Island's layers of flesh/damage that were shown on a body)

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By buzz_killington
    @ThePhantomnaut: It's actually not Unreal. They wrote their own engine I'm pretty sure.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @buzz_killington said:
    " @ThePhantomnaut: It's actually not Unreal. They wrote their own engine I'm pretty sure. "
    I beg to differ. In an extent, it's heavily modified to be somewhat their own stuff similar to IW Engine which uses id Tech 3 as a framework.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By buzz_killington
    @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " @buzz_killington said:
    " @ThePhantomnaut: It's actually not Unreal. They wrote their own engine I'm pretty sure. "
    I beg to differ. In an extent, it's heavily modified to be somewhat their own stuff similar to IW Engine which uses id Tech 3 as a framework. "
    It doesn't look like Unreal at all. My mistake then.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Daveyo520

Ya the game is kinda mediocre. Maybe the MP will make up for it?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

Oh wait, this was the "Drama Engine" game? Seriously? That's too bad, I had forgotten the title and I was looking forward to the concept. Aaah well. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

If I remember correctly, wasn't the "Drama Engine" supposed to be something that made the action happen relatively close to your character?  For instance, if a plane was falling out of the sky, it would aim its downward trajectory based on where you were to give you that "brisk feeling of being near death".  If that stuff isn't in the game, then fuck the single player.  That was one of the biggest things I was looking forward to. 

In the end, Phantomnaut is 100% correct.  The best parts of Kaos' games have been the multiplayer, all the way from Desert Combat mod on Battlefield 1942 to Frontlines.  They really should take the time to focus on that stuff and just ditch single player.  Anyone that says a game without single player can't be competitive and worthwhile needsmentalreadjustment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.