Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hydrophobia

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 29, 2010

Kate Wilson is a systems engineer who must defend a city-sized cruise liner from a terrorist attack in this XBLA/PSN title. The water physics play an integral part in combating the terrorists and moving around the cruise liner which poses a problem as Kate is aquaphobic.

Re-Releases of Hydrophobia Hasn't Derailed Episodic Plans

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    Dark Energy Digital has refused to give up on Hydrophobia, despite initial criticism.
    Dark Energy Digital has refused to give up on Hydrophobia, despite initial criticism.

Hydrophobia. Hydrophobia Pure. Hydrophobia Prophecy. That's three releases of the original Hydrophobia before any sequel, when Dark Energy Digital intended this to be an episodic aquatic adventure.

When about I interviewed the developers about the player feedback system Darknet, a bunch of you asked what this meant for the future of Hydrophobia and whether the studio had abandoned plans for sequels.

Because I love you, I asked.

"Darknet doesn't affect the plan for the series at all, and the iterations are simply our way of responding positivly to the great feedback we had from players," said senior creative designer Rob Hewson. "Our engine allows us to make micro updates to existing games which could be informed by Darknet data so the games can be enhanced and improved. The only way this affects future projects is positively, because Darknet provides a wealth of extra information to pour into future developments too."

Sure, that doesn't exactly lay out what the future of Hydrophobia is in any specific detail, but Hewson continues to refer to Hydrophobia as a "series." Given the response to the game seems to have gotten better with each iteration, taking another stab at a proper follow-up seems likely.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Hydrophobia. Hydrophobia Pure. Hydrophobia Prophecy. That's three releases of the original Hydrophobia before any sequel, when Dark Energy Digital intended this to be an episodic aquatic adventure.

When about I interviewed the developers about the player feedback system Darknet, a bunch of you asked what this meant for the future of Hydrophobia and whether the studio had abandoned plans for sequels.

Because I love you, I asked.

"Darknet doesn't affect the plan for the series at all, and the iterations are simply our way of responding positivly to the great feedback we had from players," said senior creative designer Rob Hewson. "Our engine allows us to make micro updates to existing games which could be informed by Darknet data so the games can be enhanced and improved. The only way this affects future projects is positively, because Darknet provides a wealth of extra information to pour into future developments too."

Sure, that doesn't exactly lay out what the future of Hydrophobia is in any specific detail, but Hewson continues to refer to Hydrophobia as a "series." Given the response to the game seems to have gotten better with each iteration, taking another stab at a proper follow-up seems likely.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

Bad games need to die.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By Danteveli

Great! Maybe this time it will be playable.

Jumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Jumbs

They're trying so hard :( But they're just not getting any better :(

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Only twice? 

thedevilbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thedevilbat

Hydrophobiaphobic?

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Sooperspy

They should just let it die already.

KingPossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KingPossum

It's like drowning a dead horse.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By MisterMouse

Patrick loves us?!!?!?!

Avatar image for beautifulspacecowboy
    BeautifulSpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I kind of admire them pushing the rock back up the hill over and over again.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai

Just drop it already 

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By YoungFrey

The water tech was cool.  I'm willing to look at their next game to see if they fixed any of the problems (ie everything that wasn't water tech).  And yes, I played the Pure version. 
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By Chris2KLee

I sure hope they move on, because it's starting to look a little crazy on their part for hanging on to this one title for so long.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew

Of course they still want to do episodes. That's why it was so important that they improve the original game.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Afroman269
    @MysteriousBob said:
    Bad games need to die.
    thiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thiz

Are you going to stop trolling the developers for releasing the same game three times in the future soon? Cause its getting boring.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Agent47
    @MysteriousBob: A tad harsh?
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LordAndrew
    @thiz said:
    Are you going to stop trolling the developers for releasing the same game three times in the future soon? Cause its getting boring.
    Who are you accusing of trolling? It seems to me that Patrick actually wants people to care about this game, but not everyone's so willing to do so.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zombie2011

Why am i still reading about this shitty game?

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By patrickklepek

@thiz said:

mmm kay.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#21  Edited By MormonWarrior

I'm getting really sick of hearing about this freaking dumb game. Stop reporting on it already!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LordAndrew
    @patrickklepek said:

@thiz said:

mmm kay.

Once you've spent enough time as the news guy, every story you post will include at least one comment like that and at least one comment like this:
    @MormonWarrior said:
    I'm getting really sick of hearing about this freaking dumb game. Stop reporting on it already!
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho

A bunch of people who haven't played the game seem to have opinions set in stone about it. The facile pricklike nature of the "real gamer" doesn't lend itself to refinement and iteration. They'd rather defend their piece of shit (DA2) or shit on it. They can't register the idea of something starting out bad, then getting fixed through feedback. So as noble as this is, its somewhat pointless. I'd love to live in a world where this happens all the time but the nature of the consumer base doesn't allow for that. As good as this game may be now, the metacritic rating hasn't changed and that's all a lot of dumbasses care about.

advent_crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By advent_crash

Id really like to see this game work. It was a cool concept when I first heard of it.

Avanzato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Avanzato

I finished the PC version a couple of weeks ago and it was entertaining enough that I would be willing to to pay for more episodes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5865c6a5c9438
    deactivated-5865c6a5c9438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if it's good now.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#27  Edited By Grumbel
    @YoungFrey said:
    The water tech was cool.  I'm willing to look at their next game to see if they fixed any of the problems (ie everything that wasn't water tech).  And yes, I played the Pure version. 
    Well, what do you expect? It's a $10 download title, not a full price commercial game, of course the climbing won't be as nice as in Assassins Creed and the shooting might not hold up to a Gears of War. But for what it is, it is perfectly fine. You have plenty of ammunition and environmental stuff to toy around with (fire, electricity) and mechanically, while not breaking any new ground aside from the water, it is perfectly functional.

My only real complaint about the game is that there isn't more of it already. It ends a little abruptly and kind of hints at a lot of side-story stuff that never goes anywhere, making it feel more like a third of a full price game then like a episodic title.
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By YoungFrey
    @Grumbel said:
    @YoungFrey said:
    Well, what do you expect? It's a $10 download title, not a full price commercial game, of course the climbing won't be as nice as in Assassins Creed and the shooting might not hold up to a Gears of War. But for what it is, it is perfectly fine. You have plenty of ammunition and environmental stuff to toy around with (fire, electricity) and mechanically, while not breaking any new ground aside from the water, it is perfectly functional.  My only real complaint about the game is that there isn't more of it already. It ends a little abruptly and kind of hints at a lot of side-story stuff that never goes anywhere, making it feel more like a third of a full price game then like a episodic title.
    I expect games to be fun to play.  I paid $5 for Hydrophobia, I don't regret that.  But it wasn't a good game.  For that kind of price an XBLA  game can ask, it is going to get less development effort.  So you'll never get a great full retail quality title.  Dark Energy Digital tried to do everything.  Maybe if they'd left off the climbing, the combat might have been better.  Or something.  I'd have accepted just the middle chapter if it was much better.  
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Rowr

I on the other hand choose to support a small developer and their plight for the future. 

Good luck to them. 

On the other hand, fuck up, you stupid milk sucking halo fucks.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30  Edited By xpgamer7

I know they're using darknet to improve a broken game for future experiences. Hopefully their next game will stop everyone from raging.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By StingingVelvet

I just played this on the PC a couple weeks ago when it came out.  I quite liked it actually, though the PC controls were very rough.  I ended up using an Xbox pad for it, despite how terrible I am at analog aiming.

I would buy a part two though, is what I am getting at.

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By m0rdr3d

It's obvious a lot of these whiners haven't played the game, yet they're jumping on the hate bandwagon.  Not only is that pathetic, but it's doing a disservice to games and their own time spent gaming.  Hydrophobia became a pretty cool game and I'll gladly check out future episodes.  Sure, it started less than perfect--but decent.  Then, the developer listened to feedback and vastly improved Hydrophobia FOR FREE.  It's bizarre that people are whining about this kind of love a developer is showing their game, and the community.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Jackel2072

you know. i bought this during a sale... maybe one day i'll play it? 

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ryanwho said:
    A bunch of people who haven't played the game seem to have opinions set in stone about it. The facile pricklike nature of the "real gamer" doesn't lend itself to refinement and iteration. They'd rather defend their piece of shit (DA2) or shit on it. They can't register the idea of something starting out bad, then getting fixed through feedback. So as noble as this is, its somewhat pointless. I'd love to live in a world where this happens all the time but the nature of the consumer base doesn't allow for that. As good as this game may be now, the metacritic rating hasn't changed and that's all a lot of dumbasses care about.
    Yeah! Humans amirite? Good thing you are so perfect and awesome man!
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Eyz

Blockbuster games-fags: Shuddup!

Anyway, I like Hydrophobia. I hope they're able to make more episodes!

Avatar image for deactivated-61f341f558336
    deactivated-61f341f558336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that's a committed team. They just won't give up! 
    I might just have to take a look at this game.

Daftasabat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Daftasabat

I dont understand why people are hating on this company for re-releasing a game so many times. Capcom have been doing it for years with Street Fighter!

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By sixpin
    @President_Barackbar said:
    @ryanwho said:
    Yeah! Humans amirite? Good thing you are so perfect and awesome man!
    I quit reading his post after his DA2 comment.
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By Twisted_Scot
    @zombienutz said:
    I kind of admire them pushing the rock back up the hill over and over again.
    Yeah it interesting. I'm glad someone seems to be OK with being the test subject for this type of post release support. I actually like to think that in the future more developers will spend this much time tweaking a game for a prolonged period of time rather than just throw out some patches to stop it crashing or glitching and then move on to the sequel whether its a good game or not. 
    Id like to see devs make actual changes to their games on the fly to improve them and learn for the squeals. Although the re-release stuff is a bit much.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#40  Edited By MeatSim

That is some serious perseverance.

Gordy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gordy

@Jumbs: Have you tried the latest version? They've absolutely gotten better compared to the original version.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.