Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 09, 2009

Set in 1939, follow Indiana Jones as he searches all around the globe for the Staff of Moses.

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Al3xand3r

While this is obviously not a very high budget title, and their claims of the Wii being the lead SKU (also created for DS, PSP & PS2, though I guess the former will be a different game) don't appear to be 100% truthful, it looks surprisingly fun. Who knows, maybe it's a decent little game after all, it certainly seems to have the Indy charm... Expect the worst, but hope for the best?

I like this shot :)
    MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MichaelBach

Looks like fun. I wonder is the fate of atlantis will be on the DS as well... that would be great!

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Goly
    MichaelBach said:
    "Looks like fun. I wonder is the fate of atlantis will be on the DS as well... that would be great!"
    Word! That would be awesome
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Black_Rose

I hate Indiana Jones, so I naturally think the game looks like shit

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Wasnt there supposed to be an Indian Jones game for the 360 and PS3 aswell, but never came out? Or is this the only one?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

It was cancelled as far as we know. Maybe they wanna surprise people and it's still in development? :P

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

Some off screen footage.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TheFreeMan

Wow....it.....actually looks.....good....?

I was not expecting this. The teaser trailer was sort of meh and the fact that it's being built mainly for Wii didn't inspire me with a ton of hope, but looking at it in motion it looks pretty cool. Hand-to-hand combat was okay looking by itself, but the weapons and environmental stuff really looks interesting. I liked the look of the vehicle segments. Hell, even the graphics, while not great by any means don't look like much of a detraction for me.

I'll be keeping my eye on this, my curiosity has been piqued. I'm a massive Indiana Jones fan too, so that just helps.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

It doesn't look bad on DS either, and all versions have some exclusive content/levels.

PSP version looks good too, minus the textures and details like individual fingers and stuff:

Some dood on NeoGAF said (yeah, I know) the Wii version has the following and screens don't do it justice:
    60fps triple buffering
    bloom
    anisotropic x4
    soft shadows
    full depth of field
    indirect texturing
    16:9
    480p

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Come on man, Indy is perfect for games and we get one with a small budget? Do publisher's think it's not marketable enough? Or did Tomb Raider scare people off from that kind of thing?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

Note the budget thing is just a guess of mine. And my opinion of the game gets better with every new media release. So, who knows? Of course, the budget will always be low compared to a HD production but that's the beauty of it and probably the reason it wasn't canned like the HD versions so, hurray. Hope the full game is as good as the gameplay videos indicate :)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187
    Black_Rose said:
    "I hate Indiana Jones, so I naturally think the game looks like shit"
    Explain how someone could POSSIBLY hate Indiana Jones.  He's basically amazing.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diamond

Waggle based fighting?  Really?  That's a deal breaker for me right off the bat.

The game seems more 'brawler' heavy than I expected, I was thinking it'd be more like Tomb Raider or Uncharted.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Might get this on PSP.

I feel weird cause I have Fate of Atlantis on PC from when it came out...

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

Diamond said:

"Waggle based fighting?  Really?  That's a deal breaker for me right off the bat.The game seems more 'brawler' heavy than I expected, I was thinking it'd be more like Tomb Raider or Uncharted."
    It seems simple enough to not detract from the gameplay, and perhaps add to it. Flick the nunchuck for left punch and the remote for right punch. Press A & B to duck and dodge, and hold B then flick the remote to use the whip. I'm not sure how you aim at different body parts with it though.

Reading the official forums there's some kind of co-op mode, though they have not disclosed details yet. No clue if it's split screen or if both characters are in the same screen like in the Lego Jones game, or something else entirely.

MichaelBach said:

"Looks like fun. I wonder is the fate of atlantis will be on the DS as well... that would be great!"
    Only the Wii version has that.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

All versions have some exclusive content:
    "Indy explores the catacombs underneath Paris in that DS-exclusive location. On the PSP version the game begins in 1922 when Indy is just a young lad exploring ancient Mayan ruins with a schoolmate who will eventually become his archnemesis. On the Wii version you'll be able to drive a motorbike, fly planes using the Wii Remote like a flight stick, drive tanks, and escape sudden death in a raft by rowing."

I guess that leaves the PS2 version out, so, probably the same bonus as on the PSP. The gamespot preview (text) also mentions multi player.

DS:
    "On the DS the player will use the stylus for navigation, puzzle solving, and combat. Additionally, the microphone is used in both single-player and multiplayer cipher labyrinth gameplay."

Wii:
    "Players will also be able to play co-op with a friend in a separate storyline as well as unlock a two to four player versus mode."

The DS mode is probably exclusive, but I don't see why the Wii mode wouldn't be on PS2/PSP as well. We'll see.

And some other stuff:
    "The PSP utilizes Havok in physics-based environmental challenges where the gameplay can be different each time you play it depending on what you do. On the PS2 you'll be able to use the analog stick to bring whipped enemies in close for a little payback."

That sounds like artificial feature padding. I doubt the physics only work on the PSP version and not the PS2 or Wii, while that whip move is clearly visible in the Wii version's videos, except of course you don't do it with the analog stick, but instead use the remote.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r
    IGN preview is up. Sounds great :)

"If you're an Indy fan (and we are), you'll likely lap Staff of King's up. There's John Williams' rousing theme tune mixing seamlessly with brand new orchestrations and a bucket load of atmosphere, courtesy of some blockbuster presentation and attention to detail. Staff of King's drips Indy right through the middle - even the game's front end is presented as an interactive poke around Dr. Jones' office, with levels and options accessed by spinning the globe on his desk, rifling through postcards or firing up the old movie projector on the wall."

"It's clear that LucasArts has crafted a remarkably good looking game, packed with detailed textures, real-time shadows, reflections, atmospheric lighting and a bunch of other effects and filters - from heat haze to film grain - all working together to recreate that distinctive pulp adventure feel"

"Although progress seems relatively linear, LucasArts is keen to highlight Staff of Kings' branching pathway system, giving an element of player choice in certain situations. At one point in Chinatown, for instance, you can enter an off-street speakeasy Alternatively, further exploration reveals a route down into the basement"

"It's easy to scoff a game that embraces motion controls with such first-generation gusto but LucasArts seems to have done a grand job marrying physical movement to onscreen action in a way that successfully heightens immersion rather than detracts through pointless gimmickry"

"It's most evident in Staff of Kings surprisingly rounded combat system. Fighting's been designed around brawling, with an emphasis on using your wits - and the environment - to even the odds against you"

"On paper, it's hard not to roll your eyes at Staff of Kings, with its reliance on Wii's notoriously unreliable motion controls for every major interaction – whether that's whip-cracking, fist-fighting or even puzzling-solving. However, on evidence, the game's something of a rarity – being a third-party offering that successfully integrates motion controls as a core component in a way that actually adds to the overall experience."

"Factor in an entirely separate story-driven, two-player co-op mode – which LucasArts is staying tight-lipped about for the moment – plus the full version of classic point-and-click adventure Fate of Atlantis once you've completed the game, and we're surprisingly optimistic about the game's arrival come June.
    "
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Willy105
    TheMustacheHero said:
    "Wasnt there supposed to be an Indian Jones game for the 360 and PS3 aswell, but never came out? Or is this the only one?"
    This IS that game, due to the budget being lowered so much, they had to cancel the HD versions, and the other versions remained.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Snail

I would abandon all hope, but that IGN preview seems pretty positive.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Willy105

The Wii is not the lead SKU, because it's also for the PS2 and PSP, so the game had to be downgraded for such.

Sure, the Wii version runs at 60 fps with other extras, but that's because the graphics are for PS2. It still doesn't look as good as Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

The video in this article reminded me of The Godfather: Blackhand Edition with the melee combat. I thought that was one of the best parts of that game. Looks like I'll have my eye on a few games this summer and beyond.

vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vaultboy

Looks like a lot of fun to play. I always thought an Indy game would be perfect for the motion controls.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By c1337us
    jakob187 said:
    "Black_Rose said:
    "I hate Indiana Jones, so I naturally think the game looks like shit"
    Explain how someone could POSSIBLY hate Indiana Jones.  He's basically amazing.
    "
    Exactly! Thank you.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r

New video, it looks pretty nice still, I hate that they force the game developers to act like this though. Just hire an actor for your commercials, are these guys even getting paid extra for this stuff or is humiliation part of their job contract?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Rowr
    bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bwooduhs
    Black_Rose said:
    I hate Indiana Jones, so I naturally think the game looks like shit
    You sir have a serious problem.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It looks really fun to me.  If I had a Wii I'd certainly check it out.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Al3xand3r

Missed this video when it was first shown:

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Al3xand3r

First 10 minutes. It looks like an OK controls introduction level, and the next probably follows suit as there's been no combat yet.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By Ineedaname

See to me that just looks like a cheap Zelda with a few mini games. I think I'll pass on that.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheFreeMan

I kinda like the looks of this game so far. Yeah, it doesn't have the best production values or graphics but it looks fun enough and seems to capture the feel of the Indy movies. Is that Harrison Ford doing the voice, or a soundalike?

Also, I bet that could've been the first five minutes if the person playing didn't spend so much damn time running around in circles. I know they were trying to show us stuff but man, I get it.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By ArcBorealis

BTW, if anyone is skeptical about the Wii motion controls, mainly the combat, 3 words:

Godfather Blackhand Edition

Those who've played that game should know what I mean.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Looks nothing like Zelda. Maybe that particular set piece. Game's basically a brawler with some puzzle / waggle / challenge set pieces on top.

See videos on the previous page for more of the game.

More tutorial shenanigans:

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By Optiow

I always liked Indiana jones games so this should be good.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Al3xand3r
    The combat looks fun and much more involving than I thought it would be from the trailers. Nice to see it can recognise 3 types of swings with your fists, and all the stuff with the whip, without much effort. Why did Punch-Out!! need buttons to change between jab and uppercut again? >_>
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Al3xand3r

More:

Spoilers, obviously. I'm done looking @ these myself.
    Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Daryl
    @Al3xand3r: Did you ever end up getting the game? I'm kinda interested as it's on sale.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.