Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous 2

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 07, 2011

The electric superhuman, Cole MacGrath, returns in the sequel to 2009's open world superhero third-person action game from Sucker Punch, featuring new graphics, a new city, and new powers.

Did You Enjoy Infamous 2's Finale? *SPOILER WARNING*

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll Did You Enjoy Infamous 2's Finale? *SPOILER WARNING* (51 votes)

Yes. 65%
    No. 10%
    Meh. 12%
    Didn't play Infamous 2. Show results. 14%

Just finished up with Infamous 2. I don't really want to talk about the ending per se, but about player agency regarding the finale, respectively the lack there-of. Sucker Punch gives the player agency over what to do, but actually only lets the player immediately choose the option that's supposedly karmically aligned with prior choices.

This makes a mockery of me, the player. A mockery of the concept of player agency. A mockery of them, as creators of this abomination of gamedesign.

P.S. Loved the game otherwise, at least mechanically. Had a great time with it. Infamous 2 is definitely an accomplishment - but for this, and this alone, you'll get a sincere *Fuck you!* whispered at you across the planes of the interwebs - because fuck this shit! I hope this fuck you reaches your ears one day! Sincerely.

• 
    emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I agree with you on the point of player agency, but the question of the poll is "Did you enjoy the finale", of which I really did.

Very cool ending & boss fight, for both sides of the karma.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By csl316

I enjoyed it a great deal. Good ending was great, bad ending was twisted. It was fantastic.

Edit: Just realized you necroed two threads by saying "fuck you" to the developers. So that's weird.

stephenage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Totally agree with you, and hated the ending in general.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

It's been a while since I beat the game, but I remember having mixed feelings about it. I'll be interested in seeing how things turn out in Second Son, given that they chose the "bad" ending as cannon.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Seppli

@csl316 said:

I enjoyed it a great deal. Good ending was great, bad ending was twisted. It was fantastic.

Edit: Just realized you necroed two threads by saying "fuck you" to the developers. So that's weird.

Hey, it's not really an angry Fuck You. I just needed to vent my frustration with them teasing me with player agency, whilst not really giving it outright. I didn't want the ending they made me chose. Guess I should have made the poll out of the gate, but initially I thought those other ending threads would make a sufficient outlet for my feelings on it. They weren't.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@themanwithnoplan: I'm pretty sure that Sucker Punch has said that the good ending is canon. I think Brad also said so a few bombcasts ago after going to an event for the game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: I'm pretty sure that Suckerpunch has said that the good ending is canon. I think Brad also said so a few bombcasts ago after going to an event for the game.

Yes, they used trophy data. I think it was around 70% good endings so that's what they went with for developing Second Son.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli

@funkasaurasrex said:

@themanwithnoplan: I'm pretty sure that Suckerpunch has said that the good ending is canon. I think Brad also said so a few bombcasts ago after going to an event for the game.

I remember them saying the bad ending is canon. Wonder whose memory is befuddled. I mean, how would Second Son even be possible with the good ending?

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@seppli said:

@funkasaurasrex said:

I remember them saying the bad ending is canon. Wonder whose memory is befuddled. I mean, how would Second Son even be possible with the good ending?

I got a source now dawg

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/05/10/bridging-the-gap-from-infamous-2-to-second-son.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Relevant quote:

Players overwhelmingly chose to play through Infamous 2’s good ending. During this now-canonical ending, Cole defeats a powerful, destruction-crazed Conduit known as the Beast and then sets off a genetic bomb called the Ray Field Inhibitor (RFI), which not only kills Cole but destroys all the Conduit genes around the world, thereby ridding the world of the Conduit “plague.”

While this ending seemed fairly conclusive, the RFI device wasn’t as thorough as players were initially led to believe. According to Sucker Punch, Conduits who were further away from the RFI’s blast radius weren’t completely “cured,” so there are still a number of less-powerful Conduits and Conduits who didn’t know they had powers scattered across the globe.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Nodima

I honestly don't remember what happened, considering this is a thread about the ending for people who experienced the ending I don't know what the fear of spoiling the thing is.

But I do know that as a game in general I felt inFamous 2 was a step back from inFamous. I didn't like the way Cole moved, I didn't enjoy the mega-monsters or most of the special-ability enemies and I thought a lot of the boss fights were really goofy. I also didn't enjoy the setting, to me it was a lot less interesting to get around the city and such. I've played and beaten inFamous 4 times collecting nearly every blast shard each time, other than NBA 2K it's probably the game I played most this generation. But inFamous 2 just didn't do it for me.

The controversy that I remember was when Second Son was announced, people were annoyed that the ending had lied to them about the strength of the RFI or something like that. To which I'd say, this is a series about people with super powers that finds its roots in a time traveling bike messenger. I'm not upset at the Beast feeling pretty neutered in inFamous 2 compared to the menace he's made out to be in 1, or the RFI not as powerful as it's made out to be in 2. The story was never what made inFamous interesting.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli

@funkasaurasrex said:

@seppli said:

@funkasaurasrex said:

I got a source now dawg

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/05/10/bridging-the-gap-from-infamous-2-to-second-son.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Relevant quote:

Players overwhelmingly chose to play through Infamous 2’s good ending. During this now-canonical ending, Cole defeats a powerful, destruction-crazed Conduit known as the Beast and then sets off a genetic bomb called the Ray Field Inhibitor (RFI), which not only kills Cole but destroys all the Conduit genes around the world, thereby ridding the world of the Conduit “plague.”

While this ending seemed fairly conclusive, the RFI device wasn’t as thorough as players were initially led to believe. According to Sucker Punch, Conduits who were further away from the RFI’s blast radius weren’t completely “cured,” so there are still a number of less-powerful Conduits and Conduits who didn’t know they had powers scattered across the globe.

Cool beans. Thanks for clearing that up.

We really didn't have choice in our ending though, since karma alignment locked players out of making a choice initially. I guess most are like me, and didn't go and mindlessly grind karma just to get to choose their preferred ending.

I'd bet if Sucker Punch actually let us make our choice freely, those numbers would look way different. Siding with that horridly written nutjob Nix over everyone's sweetheart Kuo? Come on! That alone would have made a majority go for the Bad Karma ending.

At least Second Son can start out with a clean slate. Hopefully Sucker Punch's writing got better since.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I really wanna play Second Son.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

The game was good, but not as good as the first one in my opinion (after I beat the first on hard); I wanted to go through it again on hard, but it wasn't compelling enough to do it, plus, the canonical ending is Cole dying, so there's no need to play as a bad guy now. As for the ending, it was OK, so I chose meh, but it wasn't necessarily any of those choices. I honestly liked the Festival of Blood more than two itself; it had a better soundtrack, and the atmosphere was largely superb; better than anything found in Infamous before in my opinion.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#15  Edited By StarvingGamer

You guys need to play more D&D.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM

@seppli said:

@funkasaurasrex said:

Nope, it's the good ending that's canon. You ask how would it even be possible, it makes me wonder if you've even been paying attention to Second Son news.

BlueWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlueWolverine

Not sure how InFamous 2's ending is in any way better or worse than any of the other binary "decisions" you make as the player. If you're frustrated about how, at the end of the game you're allowed to choose between the good or evil endings, and thereby giving the possibility to render what you've done throughout the game previously obsolete or meaningless, than I guess I can understand your frustration. But I don't see how the ending is any different from the rest of the game, at least in how it's "decisions" are presented to the player.

LoveSpuds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LoveSpuds

Dont remember having any bad feelings about the game at all really. I played the game twice and for the 1st time in any game I played a scum bag and I must admit I enjoyed every minute.

I enjoyed the game for its arcade silliness so didn't expect anything particularly meaningful from the conclusion just a good ending or a bad one which is what you get. Its not like the game is an RPG or some other heavily story driven game, the story is ultimately pulpy comic book fare in my opinion - and I dont mean that negatively as I loved the game, even more that the 1st game in fact.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@seppli said:

@funkasaurasrex said:

@seppli said:

@funkasaurasrex said:

I got a source now dawg

Relevant quote:

Cool beans. Thanks for clearing that up.

We really didn't have choice in our ending though, since karma alignment locked players out of making a choice initially. I guess most are like me, and didn't go and mindlessly grind karma just to get to choose their preferred ending.

I'd bet if Sucker Punch actually let us make our choice freely, those numbers would look way different. Siding with that horridly written nutjob Nix over everyone's sweetheart Kuo? Come on! That alone would have made a majority go for the Bad Karma ending.

At least Second Son can start out with a clean slate. Hopefully Sucker Punch's writing got better since.

Funny enough, when I mentioned the cannon in Second son being the bad ending, I was actually thinking of the good one all along. All I could remember was that the cannon ending was going to be the one where Cole died. It's been a while since I played the game, so my memory attributed Cole's death as being the bad one.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The endings were well done and emotional, but overly-simplistic. Both choices are partly good and evil. You either murder millions or hundreds of thousands, so them shrugging off the genocide of conduits was a bit weird. It also has the same problem as God of War 3 and Mass Effect 3... the devs either have to ignore their own endings or only do prequels, both of which seem like really dumb decisions on their parts. The endings still work because I like the four main characters well enough and it was interesting to see them turn on each other depending on which road you took.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seppli

@ntm said:

The game was good, but not as good as the first one in my opinion (after I beat the first on hard)...

I find the second game mechanically and technically superior to the first one, especially once Cole unlocks more and higher tier traversal skills. Like that Ice Leap or the Lightning Tether - so really from Floodtown onward. As far as I'm concerned - the first game overstayed its welcome, Infamous 2 felt just right. A really well paced experience.

While I liked the first game, it got tiring pretty quickly - especially the vertical gameplay. Climbing buildings got old, it gets old in all these games - Assassin's Creed too. Luckily they'll do away with that with those smoke powers in Second Son. Zipping up a smokestack will strip out the worst part of the Infamous franchise.

Leaping from rooftop to rooftop, that's where it's at. Getting from the ground level to the rooftop? That's the boring bits.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The karma system is the biggest bummer about this series. The way it influences your powers is pretty cool, but I think it would be more interesting to allow the player to choose his upgrade paths based on individual powers, instead of locking us into a specific branch based on arbitrary things like karma points. Story wise I don't think it works at all (with the sole exception actually being the ending of 2). I didn't even realize they locked you out of choices that didn't match your alignment because I did a standard good guy and bad guy playthrough. The reason I don't like Good and Evil Karma systems is because instead of allowing the players to make a bunch of different choices, it allows them to make one, and then punishes them whenever they stray from the decision they made. It simply leaves less options for the player overall, and the whole point of systems like this is to encourage choice in games, which it obviously fails to do. The only game I ever felt like it worked in was Fable 2, I liked the idea of testing your ability to be good, forcing you to screw yourself over if you wanted to do the right thing.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@ntm said:

The game was good, but not as good as the first one in my opinion (after I beat the first on hard)...

I find the second game mechanically and technically superior to the first one, especially once Cole unlocks more and higher tier traversal skills. Like that Ice Leap or the Lightning Tether - so really from Floodtown onward. As far as I'm concerned - the first game overstayed its welcome, Infamous 2 felt just right. A really well paced experience.

While I liked the first game, it got tiring pretty quickly - especially the vertical gameplay. Climbing buildings got old, it gets old in all these games - Assassin's Creed too. Luckily they'll do away with that with those smoke powers in Second Son. Zipping up a smokestack will strip out the worst part of the Infamous franchise.

Leaping from rooftop to rooftop, that's where it's at. Getting from the ground level to the rooftop? That's the boring bits.

Something that I really liked in two, which unfortunately came in at the end was that item that you can attach it from one place to another, making it easier and faster to reach places you want to go. I was slightly more interested in the story and the way missions were constructed compared to two, though when it comes to how it controls, Infamous 2 is as good as it gets, while the powers were both equal to me.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seppli

@ntm said:

@seppli said:

@ntm said:

Something that I really liked in two, which unfortunately came in at the end was that item that you can attach it from one place to another, making it easier and faster to reach places you want to go. I was slightly more interested in the story and the way missions were constructed compared to two, though when it comes to how it controls, Infamous 2 is as good as it gets, while the powers were both equal to me.

Absolutely. It's a shame that these abilities come into play so late. The game's so much more fun with expanded traversal options. You just made me wonder if the Assassin's Creed franchise will ever see the wisdom in having a grappling hook. Damn, I'd like that franchise much better with such a thing. Like Tenchu (still my favorite Stealth/Assassin game ever) shows, the grappling hook is essential.

@hunter5024 said:

The karma system is the biggest bummer about this series. The way it influences your powers is pretty cool, but I think it would be more interesting to allow the player to choose his upgrade paths based on individual powers, instead of locking us into a specific branch based on arbitrary things like karma points. Story wise I don't think it works at all (with the sole exception actually being the ending of 2). I didn't even realize they locked you out of choices that didn't match your alignment because I did a standard good guy and bad guy playthrough. The reason I don't like Good and Evil Karma systems is because instead of allowing the players to make a bunch of different choices, it allows them to make one, and then punishes them whenever they stray from the decision they made. It simply leaves less options for the player overall, and the whole point of systems like this is to encourage choice in games, which it obviously fails to do. The only game I ever felt like it worked in was Fable 2, I liked the idea of testing your ability to be good, forcing you to screw yourself over if you wanted to do the right thing.

The artifice of it all is definitely one of its more major flaws. And you're absolutely right about how constrictive the Karma system is implemented, which indeed makes the whole exercise in player agency pointless from the get-go. They could just as well have us choose our playstyle at the very beginning of the game and never bother us with it again, the way how things play out.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game was pretty good but my reactions to the endings were "Meh"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.