Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous: Second Son

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 21, 2014

Set seven years after the events of inFamous 2, Second Son stars a new protagonist, Delsin Rowe, who fights back against government oppression and must face off with his own brother in the process. It takes place in the city of Seattle, Washington, the first real location used in the series.

I've only ever had two complaints about Infamous titles

TheSpaceMAN022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

1. The game is too easy

2. The game is too short.

These two have been an issue for me with every Infamous title. The game is incredibly fun and they improve on every aspect with each new game which adds to the addictiveness. But i feel like there aren't enough main story missions and considering the fact that the game was made on a next gen console i don't understand why they didn't try to add more. I also think they should have added another extremely tough difficulty setting that's unlocked once you beat the game and maybe has remixed enemy waves. Like tougher enemies and enemy set ups at the start and throughout. I've changed the games difficulty setting at the start of the game on my first playthrough of every Infamous game and it hasn't been enough of a challenge. I do remember the first game being pretty tough at some parts though. Any one agree or disagree and care to share why?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Probably couldn't add more because it was a next-gen system.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

I dunno, I think it's challenging enough. Bumping up the difficulty gives you just enough incentive to think tactically and vary your powers, which is what a difficulty bump would do.

There were times in the first where the gunfire would just be too much, and some enemy mixes in 2 made things rather tough. But it's not a super hard game, even if you bump up the difficulty. I guess I'd be curious to see what one more step up would feel like, too.

As for length, I've beaten both on both paths and unlocked just about everything, so I've always gotten my fill.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Steadying

I've always found the InFamous games to be incredibly difficult. There's dude's shooting me from almost every direction all the time! D:

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#5  Edited By sammo21

I don't think they are incredibly easy, but as long as you are the type of gamer who is intelligent enough to back off when hurt and circle around they are OK. This is no different than most games honestly. I do tend to agree about the length of the game as I am around....4 hours or so in and I know I am well past the halfway point. I will go through on hard to finish the platinum, but I really hope they make some single player DLC that's worth playing.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't remember the previous two games being so short, but I finished the story of Second Son in like two days. Well, at least I'm doing another playthrough this time going the renegade path.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@probablytuna said:

I don't remember the previous two games being so short, but I finished the story of Second Son in like two days. Well, at least I'm doing another playthrough this time going the renegade path.

Having played both to 100% completion (all blast shards, side quests, etc.) in the past month, they are pretty short. The first took me about 19 hours, the second 17, and now Second Son took me 15. So, they do seem to be getting shorter, and even 19 hours for 100% completion in an open world game isn't all that long.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I've always found the InFamous games to be incredibly difficult. There's dude's shooting me from almost every direction all the time! D:

I never found them difficult, but I often found them incredibly unfair. There are so many off-screen attacks that are either one-hit kills or put you into run-and-hide mode that it becomes a more viable tactic to avoid combat altogether, rather than engage with it. The first game had the shield ability, which helped immensely, but I don't remember anything of the sort in inFamous 2 so I basically just ice-jumped out whenever I got into a fight.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By spraynardtatum

I only have two complaints about Infamous as well.

1. Shitty AI

2. You can't fucking fly!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

@spraynardtatum said:

1. Shitty AI

You could temporarily fly in Festival of Blood least.

One thing I've personally disliked about the inFamous series (one that I otherwise love to bits; haven't played Second Son, though) is a lack of alternate costumes. I mean, they're pretty rooted in classic comic-book style storytelling, especially the first one. So for there to not be any goofy outfits for Cole to wear and unlock I always found disappointing. Though I suppose there was all of those DLC costumes for 2... but that shouldn't count >_>

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I got bored of a lot of the side stuff in the previous games. It started feeling extremely repetitive to the point it put me off even wanting to continue the main story.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Haven't played Second Son yet but I'll share some thoughts.

1. I thought the first game was pretty brutal at times, especially if you didn't take the time to do as many side missions as possible before doing the main story missions. In all three PS3 games (including Festival of Blood) it is easy to I guess you could call it over-level. The games can be super hard or super easy depending almost entirely on how much side content you do. If you do just the story missions and no side content at all then even on easy the game will get insane by the end. On the other hand, if you complete every side task available before starting a new story mission, you'll find yourself far too powerful.

2. As for length, it isn't as long as say GTA or Saint's Row The Third (haven't played IV yet) but compared to other open world super hero games I would say it is comparable. Both Infamous and Infamous 2 were much longer than either Crackdown and about as long as Prototype 2. If you want to include Arkham City as an open world super hero game then it is longer than that. The original Prototype had more content possibly, but outside of that I can't really think of a directly comparable series that is much longer. Plus all the games I just mentioned have much less replayability than Infamous.

3. Regarding length and being on PS4, creating a new engine for a new console takes time. Games that appear early in a console's lifecycle are often little more than proof of concept. For example, last generation we had games like Assassin's Creed and Motorstorm as really major examples of a great concept lacking in content, and Gears of War and Uncharted as examples of concepts that worked and were well received but were vastly expanded upon and improved in future entries. This generation I think Titanfall already feels very proof of concept-y to me. They have the basics down, so next time hopefully they can flesh out everything into a fully featured game. Infamous didn't attempt any really innovative gameplay concepts, but it still has more content than any other current gen exclusive thus far. Give it a couple of years. The first Gears had a short, simple campaign with virtually no major set pieces and a basically non-existent story. Then you had two player co-op and a handful of multiplayer maps and modes. By Gears 3 we had 4-player co-op, Horde mode, Beast mode, and competitve MP. And Assassin's Creed went from being a game with like 4 repeated missions to having more content than most cared to experience by the time the Ezio storyline wrapped up.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hatking

Never found them too easy. Then again I don't remember them really being challenging either. I think there was one mission in the first one that gave me some trouble. And I definitely don't think they're too short. Both felt like a slog to get through, for me. Heck, I'm still sitting on InFamous 2, telling myself one day I'll wrap it up.

I think the powers are kind of uninteresting and all of them just play analogs for guns in every other open world game. The traversal stuff seems uneven and frustrating. I hate being limited to the power lines, it would be easier and faster to drive, but Cole is above car theft (not destruction of property or murder though). Every other super power game seems to do the traversal stuff better, or at least easier. The morality shit is the fucking worst. None of the choices actually do anything significant to the story, so your character is either an unbearable dildo or the most boring man on the planet. The dildo gets better powers and doesn't have to worry about accidentally killing civilians though, so I guess I'll just grit my teeth through the cutscenes and derive some joy from this thing.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a little too easy. The length never bothered me before, considering I do 2 play through. What really bothered was the BS user content of inFamous 2. So far Second Sons has ben great.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Yeah, the game was pretty short, but I played on Expert and it was a decent challenge.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@yummylee said:

@spraynardtatum said:

1. Shitty AI

You could temporarily fly in Festival of Blood least.

One thing I've personally disliked about the inFamous series (one that I otherwise love to bits; haven't played Second Son, though) is a lack of alternate costumes. I mean, they're pretty rooted in classic comic-book style storytelling, especially the first one. So for there to not be any goofy outfits for Cole to wear and unlock I always found disappointing. Though I suppose there was all of those DLC costumes for 2... but that shouldn't count >_>

There are a bunch of unlockable jackets in Second Son, so there's that.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

My problem with the first two were the way it felt to just move around jump climb etc, something just always felt very off and it kept me from enjoying it, that one could be some weird thing that only I had a problem with. The other problem was the story was super boring, again though thats probably an issue with me, I've kinda stopped liking super hero type stuff lately. Somehow though, I still wanna give second son a shot because it just looks fantastic, hopefully the story is interesting.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I've been playing through the first one over the last month, it isn't short at all.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerse: Ehhh... the story is serviceable. It's better than the first two, but it's still a fairly run of the mill story despite the great setup the world offers. It's still worth getting I'd say - the alternate powers you get make the traversal much more fun and varied than the first two games, and Delsin's controls are super tight. But if you're looking for a great narrative, I'd say look elsewhere.

VarrosAnon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am literally of the exact opposite opinion for number 1, I think the infamous games are often too difficult and drive me away from them. That has more to do with the lack of variety though - just doing the same thing over and over again will always be annoying, but making it to where I die constantly? Not fun.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By AlKusanagi

I was definitely bummed out at the length. I was expecting a whole other location to the game, especially after I took over the whole city so quickly. I really thought we'd get to go to the conduit prison.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By probablytuna

@probablytuna said:

Having played both to 100% completion (all blast shards, side quests, etc.) in the past month, they are pretty short. The first took me about 19 hours, the second 17, and now Second Son took me 15. So, they do seem to be getting shorter, and even 19 hours for 100% completion in an open world game isn't all that long.

Huh I see, it's just doesn't feel that short in the previous games. It's been a while since I last played them so I might be misremembering but I feel like there were more side stuff to do and collect. The whole story takes place over a two week period but there were only ever three or four transitions (rainy to sunset, night time to morning, etc.) making it seem like everything was happening in just a few days. Obviously I could start the next mission whenever I wanted but it always felt like the game was pushing me towards the next story beat. I never got that sense of urgency in the previous games.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By turboman

The ending kind of snuck up on me, I was expecting at least one or two more hour's worth before the ending. Most of the game's time is spent gaining new powers, none of the characters are that fleshed out. I would to have like to have spent more time with the side characters a bit more.

I don't have any complaints about difficulty. I felt challenged most of the time in the game by the variety of enemies. The only problem I had was I wanted more classes of enemies to fight against.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sinusoidal

I dunno. I remember a few of the late game missions in the first game being controller-smashingly difficult. I fucking hate check-pointed rooftop races in this and in Assassin's Creed. One slip up and you're down on the ground and it's restart time because no amount of running is going to catch you up.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By GunstarRed

@sinusoidal: There isn't any checkpoint races in Second Son. There are a few too many "Chase this dude." type missions, but the powers make them really, really easy.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I'm genuinely surprised to hear so many people had so much trouble with the inFamous games. I do remember them getting to be bit overwhelming nearing the end, especially in inFamous 2, but they're by and large pretty easy games overall.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy

I find them to be annoyingly hard. When 3+ people are sniping you from up high on a building way across the street and behind an alley with an assault rifle, it gets really old fast. I will never understand who at Suckerpunch thinks its a good idea to make the enemies so pinpoint accurate and have eagle eye vision. It's just lazy.

I like to play on higher difficulties too so I'm talking about Hard and up. I never played them on Normal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.