Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infinite Space

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

A space exploration RPG developed by Nude Maker, produced by PlatinumGames, and published by Sega.

Atsushi Inaba on Infinite Space

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

PlatinumGames designer Atsushi Inaba has been speaking to EDGE Magazine about Infinite Space in it's latest issue.

“The biggest problem with Infinite Space was when SEGA undershipped the game and it sold out instantly! We lost the chance for a bunch of sales! Honestly, the reason that Infinite Space failed… It’s not right to say that it failed, because from another angle this is actually its greatest success: during production the scenario kept getting bigger and bigger, and so the ROM size started getting bigger, and the schedule got stretched as we added more and more. But in the end that’s what people loved about that game. So it’s difficult to separate the success and failure of that title, because they’re one and the same thing.” - Atsushi Inaba

The game sold under 40,000 units in its first week in Japan, and didn’t sell too well in North America also. It seems to me dear old Sega came close to ruining the future of two of their titles. Thankfully Bayonetta's overt quality has endured enough for Nintendo to take on a new game in the franchise, in contrast, I doubt we'll be seeing this game again.

http://nintendoeverything.com/102237/platinum-games-on-infinite-spaces-biggest-success-and-failure-which-are-one-and-the-same/

walterbennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By walterbennet

Always good to hear some inside baseball on Infinite Space, easily my favorite J-RPG of this generation. Too bad it didn't sell well, though it's not surprising. It struck me as the kind of game that, if released on a major console in the late '90s, would have been an instant classic. But released at the ass end of the DS life cycle after a glut of RPGs on the platform and with no marketing push, and few copies distributed, no wonder it did poorly.

It also wasn't well received by some reviewers, who I think did it a disservice in exaggerating its difficulty. The game is not extraordinarily challenging once you understand the systems in play. Admittedly, the game doesn't communicate those systems up front very effectively, but the information is there in the game for those who seek it out. I'd consider its true challenge level as about average.

Anyone who places character development and story ahead of systems in RPGs should definitely give Infinite Space a genuine chance.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

@Wong_Fei_Hung: Thanks for making this topic. Always interesting to hear more about this game. I'm really glad that GB did a Quick Look of this game, as it was pretty much the only site where I heard about the game, and thankfully I was able to find a copy of it a few months after release at a Toys 'R Us. It was totally worth it, and I never realized just how few copies were produced.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.