How Do You Feel About Gerstmann In This Point In Time?

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by The_LMFAO_Guy (192 posts) -

To go and say that Gerstmann wasn't the reason why you started following GameSpot is like saying asking if you like eating a grill-cheese sandwich on a Sunday afternoon isn't a good pick up line for woman at a bar. How I first discovered Gerstmann was when he guest hosted Attack of the Show back when G4 was good in 2005 (Here's Gerstmann's old blog about it). The week prior to that, Sean Baby guest hosted the show, so for two weeks of Attack of the Show you got Sean Baby one week, then Gerstmann the next; a great deal for those who have sexual fantasies about both people. 

When Sean Baby's hosting duties was up, then came in Gerstmann - that big, tall, John Candy looking mothafucka while sporting his red track suit. First thing he said that he's Jeff Gerstmann and he's from a web site call GameSpot (I never heard of it). Seeing how I didn't know anything about Gerstmann, I thought he was fucking boring at the time, he wasn't really at his best. But the guest hosting thing wasn't the only GameSpot/G4 related thing, other GameSpot editors took over the show Cinematech, and that's where I was first introduced to Ryan (the MacDonald version), Ryan (the Davis version), and the all mighty powerful Greg Kasavin. 

When I typed in "Jeff Gerstmann hosting Attack of the Show" on YouTube, one of the results I got was "Germans are attacking."
After that, G4 went to shit in 2006 and the network was unreliable for gamers like me. And then I got internet! The first web site I went to was GameSpot, that's where I got to see and listen to Gerstmann in the form that he should of been on Attack on the Show. Gerstmann was an entertaining guy, and the one I favored before getting to know the staff and realizing the awesomeness of Kasavin, Davis, and Navarro. GameSpot at the time had some of the most entertaining, distinctive and likeable editors. 

The we all know what happens next, and then GiantBomb happens. Gerstmann for some time has not been as entertaining as he once was in his GameSpot days. I can't really recall a really funny Gerstmann moment recently on GiantBomb. The content he has provided on Giantbomb just isn't as good as the content he provided on GameSpot. I think less of Gerstmann than I did back in the glory days. Sometimes I would listen to classic HotSpot - the Rich Gallup era -  on YouTube and realize how great Gerstmann was. IS there any good moments on GiantBomb? Ummmmmm. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Okay, uh, that quick look on Tony Hawk Shred, that was awesome. . . .but that happen like nearly a year ago.

What are your coc - thoughts?
#2 Posted by 71Ranchero (2771 posts) -

he makes jokes about things I am interested in so I find him humorous. Im not sure if you were expecting more or not but there yah go.

#3 Posted by KimChi4U (368 posts) -

I'm sure Jeff would say the same thing about you. He probably thinks less of you too.
/pointless thread

#4 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

None of the gamespot stuff really compares to what they're doing right now. The freedom they have now lets them do way funnier stuff.

#5 Posted by The_LMFAO_Guy (192 posts) -
@KimChi4U said:
I'm sure Jeff would say the same thing about you. He probably thinks less of you too. /pointless thread
The fact that he's thinking about me at all just makes me feel special =).
#6 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3869 posts) -

Dudes still great. Dats it dats all.

#7 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

He's funny on the bombcast when he isn't doing LOUD SARCASTIC VOICE or talking about how he doesn't like anything. I've bought games based on his reviews and felt burned before...but yeah I'm mostly bumping this so I can read fanboys gets mad about nothing :]

#8 Posted by Shrimpy (96 posts) -

I love Gerstmann

#9 Posted by Slag (4377 posts) -

to me this post is more about your own feelings than anything Gerstmann has done differently. You basically hint as such in your post

After that, G4 went to shit in 2006 .... And then I got internet! The first web site I went to was GameSpot, that's where I got to see and listen to Gerstmann in the form that he should of been on Attack on the Show. Gerstmann was an entertaining guy, and the one I favored before getting to know the staff and realizing the awesomeness of Kasavin, Davis, and Navarro....

Gerstmann for some time has not been as entertaining as he once was in his GameSpot days.....I think less of Gerstmann than I did back in the glory days.

I think He brings it as well as I've observed him to for years upon years, I just think you're bored of his style. And the newness/power of it has worn off for you now that you have experienced other things.

wouldn't worry about, a person's tastes can change as one ages and experiences new things.

#10 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -

No..no still find him quite funny and entertaining.

#11 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I think he's a pretty funny dude.

#12 Posted by JayDee (439 posts) -

so we can review people as well as games?

#13 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I don't feel about Gerstmann, you sick bastard.

#14 Posted by falling_fast (2224 posts) -

Jeff seems pretty awesome. see: the Jar Time videos

#15 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I watch Jar Time while masturbating furiously with a printed copy of his Twilight Princess review wrapped around my 8.8 inch schlong...

Seriously, what a bizarre fucking thread.

#16 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

I think Jeff is a pretty cool guy. Eh rights reviews and doesnt afraid of anything.

#17 Posted by 71Ranchero (2771 posts) -

@JayDee said:

so we can review people as well as games?

#18 Posted by EnchantedEcho (739 posts) -

Just why?

#19 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

He is part of the reason i subbed so obviously he cant be that bad.

#20 Posted by Shaunage (708 posts) -

All I can do is disagree.

#21 Posted by Pezen (1604 posts) -

This thread made me realize I have been following these guys for over almost 10 goddamn years. I mean, I read gamespot when it was called videogames.com, geez. On topic; Jeff is still awesome.

#22 Posted by Daniel_Newton (1166 posts) -

Jeff is one of the most respectable, honest, entertaining people in the games industry.

He's also on my list of inspirational people on facebook alongside Cliff Bleszinski and Batman.

#23 Posted by gabha (355 posts) -

It's weird, I don't remember if it was review scores or some of his opininion (though it wasn't his Zelda review, I actually liked for that), but he was probably the person I despised the most in this profession.

Then I started warming up to him when he was hosting On the spot and the Hotspot instead of Rich, and was genuianly sad when he was fired.

Now, after following him on GB and other places, he's become my most respected and loved person on the industry, right next to Greg Kasavin.

#24 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

Jeff is a beautiful gem of a man.

#25 Posted by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

I think his GB stuff is better than his Gamespot stuff, really. The guys have a lot more freedom here.

#26 Posted by White (1355 posts) -

I love Jeff Gerstmann and I support all his endeavors.

Also I want to have his e-babies.

#27 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

If you anticipate "funny moments" when you watch/read the website's content, you're doing it wrong and you're kinda lame.

#28 Posted by N7 (3588 posts) -

I mean, I guess I'd hang out with him sometimes, or something. I don't know. What are you looking for here? I mean, sure, sometimes I think about him running through a forest of bacon with nothing but a pancake on his head, but what business of that is yours? None. So stay out of my head, you goddamn communist.

#29 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3484 posts) -

I want to hug him.

#30 Posted by The_LMFAO_Guy (192 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
If you anticipate "funny moments" when you watch/read the website's content, you're doing it wrong 
Then what was the whole conversation about buying socks on the BombCast really all about huh? Are you implying that there's some sort of encrypted message that you can decipher? Then please, do so.  

and you're kinda lame.

How Am I lame when I like watching black KKK members dancing to "Big Booty Bitches"? 

#31 Posted by The_LMFAO_Guy (192 posts) -
@artgarcrunkle said:

.but yeah I'm mostly bumping this so I can read fanboys gets mad about nothing :]

TBH with you, I knew I was going to get angry fanboy responses before posting this thread, just goes to show how brave I am! But of course, I just wanted to get my opinion about Gerstmann now off my chest, and seeing how GiantBomb is based in America, only in America!
@Slag said:

I think He brings it as well as I've observed him to for years upon years, I just think you're bored of his style. And the newness/power of it has worn off for you now that you have experienced other things.

wouldn't worry about, a person's tastes can change as one ages and experiences new things.

Not really. I still enjoy Gerstmann's old content. I did think that I was just tired of Gerstmann at first, until I re-watched Gerstmann showing off Warioware: Smooth Moves on On The Spot. It's still fucking hilarious.
#32 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Jeff Is my hero.

#33 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

Dude's funny, and seems fairly stand-up, but I can't for the life of me appreciate any of his opinions.

He hates a lot of stuff, almost irrationally.

#34 Edited by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

Love him. Doesn't matter whether I agree with his opinions or not.

#35 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

I love the dude! Always have, always will.

#36 Edited by Yummylee (21643 posts) -

@artgarcrunkle said:

He's funny on the bombcast when he isn't doing LOUD SARCASTIC VOICE or talking about how he doesn't like anything. I've bought games based on his reviews and felt burned before...but yeah I'm mostly bumping this so I can read fanboys gets mad about nothing :]

Definitely agree about the LOUD SARCASTIC VOICE thing. I thought it was pretty funny and, whether intentional or not, makes him sound like Trey Parker. But god... he does it so often these days, and he appears to have a negative generalistion for everyone and they all apparently speak in that exact same kind of voice. His latest Jar Time in particular during the DLC rant segment made him appear like a bit of an asshole constantly doing that voice over and over.

I still think Jeff's a swell, funny guy and more often than not a very rational and reasonable dude, though. But his impressionist satire of people he finds annoying often backfires, usually making him sound even more annoying than the people he's impersonating.

#37 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

Your threads are shit.

This

#38 Posted by Jolt92 (1551 posts) -

At this point in time I feel like you suck OP.

#39 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@The_LMFAO_Guy said:
@AhmadMetallic said:
If you anticipate "funny moments" when you watch/read the website's content, you're doing it wrong 
Then what was the whole conversation about buying socks on the BombCast really all about huh? Are you implying that there's some sort of encrypted message that you can decipher? Then please, do so.   
Just because they can be funny and they intentionally act funny and they deliver, doesn't make them a comedy group. 

Follow them, read their words and watch their videos as a video game enthusiast taking the two cents of video game journalists, and the laughter will come naturally. Measuring Gerstmann's performance based on the amount of "funny moments" is absurd.
#40 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1090 posts) -

being funny is just a bonus because he is already a pretty good video game journalist.

#41 Posted by Alexandruxx (228 posts) -
@gabha said:
It's weird, I don't remember if it was review scores or some of his opininion (though it wasn't his Zelda review, I actually liked for that), but he was probably the person I despised the most in this profession.   Then I started warming up to him when he was hosting On the spot and the Hotspot instead of Rich, and was genuianly sad when he was fired.  Now, after following him on GB and other places, he's become my most respected and loved person on the industry, right next to Greg Kasavin.
My story exactly.
#42 Edited by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

@The_LMFAO_Guy: You came on a website that serves mostly video content to people who LIKE that video content a lot, that's fueled by the editors' personalities, Jeff Gerstmann being one of those editors, and then bitch about how much you don't like them?

Firstly, in what world do you live in that this isn't trolling?

Secondly, If you don't like Jeff that's your oppinion, why not go complain about him on a website that he doesn't personally oversee?

Thirdly, you've made 71 posts to my current count as I type this post, don't you think you're being a tad masochistic to yourself if you hate/find boring one of the main people who produces content on this site and still keep coming back for more?

Is it not considered insane to do something that you don't like/doesn't work for you over and over again?

#43 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

He's awesome....just like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 he gets a 10/10.

#44 Posted by Hunkulese (2723 posts) -

@The_LMFAO_Guy: How did you not have the internet until 2006?

#45 Posted by Nentisys (892 posts) -

Jeff is pretty awesome. Dude gets DEEP in the jar videos.

#46 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

If you watch some of the Jar questions you see that he is much more insightful then what you might think.

#47 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

@The_LMFAO_Guy: While I really like him still and there a lot of great moments, there is just something about those hotspot episodes. And this is coming from someone who just started following giantbomb a year ago and that was my first exposure to the whole crew.

#48 Posted by shivermetimbers (772 posts) -

My not giving a shit senses are tingling!

#49 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

@The_LMFAO_Guy said:

I can't really recall a really funny Gerstmann moment recently on GiantBomb. The content he has provided on Giantbomb just isn't as good as the content he provided on GameSpot.

lol

#50 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

He's my favorite review guy. I dunno why. We both agree on the same flaws usually I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.