Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jeff Gerstmann

Person » credited in 4 games

Jeff Gerstmann is the co-founder and former Editor-in-Chief of Giant Bomb as well as a professional video game scientist and anime expert.

How Do You Feel About Gerstmann In This Point In Time?

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy

To go and say that Gerstmann wasn't the reason why you started following GameSpot is like saying asking if you like eating a grill-cheese sandwich on a Sunday afternoon isn't a good pick up line for woman at a bar. How I first discovered Gerstmann was when he guest hosted Attack of the Show back when G4 was good in 2005 (Here's Gerstmann's old blog about it). The week prior to that, Sean Baby guest hosted the show, so for two weeks of Attack of the Show you got Sean Baby one week, then Gerstmann the next; a great deal for those who have sexual fantasies about both people. 

When Sean Baby's hosting duties was up, then came in Gerstmann - that big, tall, John Candy looking mothafucka while sporting his red track suit. First thing he said that he's Jeff Gerstmann and he's from a web site call GameSpot (I never heard of it). Seeing how I didn't know anything about Gerstmann, I thought he was fucking boring at the time, he wasn't really at his best. But the guest hosting thing wasn't the only GameSpot/G4 related thing, other GameSpot editors took over the show Cinematech, and that's where I was first introduced to Ryan (the MacDonald version), Ryan (the Davis version), and the all mighty powerful Greg Kasavin. 

When I typed in
     When I typed in "Jeff Gerstmann hosting Attack of the Show" on YouTube, one of the results I got was "Germans are attacking."
    After that, G4 went to shit in 2006 and the network was unreliable for gamers like me. And then I got internet! The first web site I went to was GameSpot, that's where I got to see and listen to Gerstmann in the form that he should of been on Attack on the Show. Gerstmann was an entertaining guy, and the one I favored before getting to know the staff and realizing the awesomeness of Kasavin, Davis, and Navarro. GameSpot at the time had some of the most entertaining, distinctive and likeable editors. 

The we all know what happens next, and then GiantBomb happens. Gerstmann for some time has not been as entertaining as he once was in his GameSpot days. I can't really recall a really funny Gerstmann moment recently on GiantBomb. The content he has provided on Giantbomb just isn't as good as the content he provided on GameSpot. I think less of Gerstmann than I did back in the glory days. Sometimes I would listen to classic HotSpot - the Rich Gallup era -  on YouTube and realize how great Gerstmann was. IS there any good moments on GiantBomb? Ummmmmm. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Okay, uh, that quick look on Tony Hawk Shred, that was awesome. . . .but that happen like nearly a year ago.

What are your coc - thoughts?
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By 71Ranchero

he makes jokes about things I am interested in so I find him humorous. Im not sure if you were expecting more or not but there yah go.

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KimChi4U

I'm sure Jeff would say the same thing about you. He probably thinks less of you too.
    /pointless thread

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By yoshimitz707

None of the gamespot stuff really compares to what they're doing right now. The freedom they have now lets them do way funnier stuff.

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy
    @KimChi4U said:
    I'm sure Jeff would say the same thing about you. He probably thinks less of you too. /pointless thread
    The fact that he's thinking about me at all just makes me feel special =).
    Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Dudes still great. Dats it dats all.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By artgarcrunkle

He's funny on the bombcast when he isn't doing LOUD SARCASTIC VOICE or talking about how he doesn't like anything. I've bought games based on his reviews and felt burned before...but yeah I'm mostly bumping this so I can read fanboys gets mad about nothing :]

Shrimpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shrimpy

I love Gerstmann

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#9  Edited By Slag

to me this post is more about your own feelings than anything Gerstmann has done differently. You basically hint as such in your post

After that, G4 went to shit in 2006 .... And then I got internet! The first web site I went to was GameSpot, that's where I got to see and listen to Gerstmann in the form that he should of been on Attack on the Show. Gerstmann was an entertaining guy, and the one I favored before getting to know the staff and realizing the awesomeness of Kasavin, Davis, and Navarro....

Gerstmann for some time has not been as entertaining as he once was in his GameSpot days.....I think less of Gerstmann than I did back in the glory days.

I think He brings it as well as I've observed him to for years upon years, I just think you're bored of his style. And the newness/power of it has worn off for you now that you have experienced other things.

wouldn't worry about, a person's tastes can change as one ages and experiences new things.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Evilsbane

No..no still find him quite funny and entertaining.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I think he's a pretty funny dude.

JayDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JayDee

so we can review people as well as games?

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't feel about Gerstmann, you sick bastard.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By falling_fast

Jeff seems pretty awesome. see: the Jar Time videos

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I watch Jar Time while masturbating furiously with a printed copy of his Twilight Princess review wrapped around my 8.8 inch schlong...

Seriously, what a bizarre fucking thread.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rockanomics

I think Jeff is a pretty cool guy. Eh rights reviews and doesnt afraid of anything.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 71Ranchero

@JayDee said:

so we can review people as well as games?

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By EnchantedEcho

Just why?

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By McShank

He is part of the reason i subbed so obviously he cant be that bad.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Shaunage

All I can do is disagree.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pezen

This thread made me realize I have been following these guys for over almost 10 goddamn years. I mean, I read gamespot when it was called videogames.com, geez. On topic; Jeff is still awesome.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Jeff is one of the most respectable, honest, entertaining people in the games industry.

He's also on my list of inspirational people on facebook alongside Cliff Bleszinski and Batman.

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By gabha

It's weird, I don't remember if it was review scores or some of his opininion (though it wasn't his Zelda review, I actually liked for that), but he was probably the person I despised the most in this profession.

Then I started warming up to him when he was hosting On the spot and the Hotspot instead of Rich, and was genuianly sad when he was fired.

Now, after following him on GB and other places, he's become my most respected and loved person on the industry, right next to Greg Kasavin.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Jeff is a beautiful gem of a man.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ajamafalous

I think his GB stuff is better than his Gamespot stuff, really. The guys have a lot more freedom here.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By white

I love Jeff Gerstmann and I support all his endeavors.

Also I want to have his e-babies.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic

If you anticipate "funny moments" when you watch/read the website's content, you're doing it wrong and you're kinda lame.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By N7

I mean, I guess I'd hang out with him sometimes, or something. I don't know. What are you looking for here? I mean, sure, sometimes I think about him running through a forest of bacon with nothing but a pancake on his head, but what business of that is yours? None. So stay out of my head, you goddamn communist.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I want to hug him.

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    If you anticipate "funny moments" when you watch/read the website's content, you're doing it wrong 
    Then what was the whole conversation about buying socks on the BombCast really all about huh? Are you implying that there's some sort of encrypted message that you can decipher? Then please, do so.  

and you're kinda lame.

How Am I lame when I like watching black KKK members dancing to "Big Booty Bitches"? 

The_LMFAO_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_LMFAO_Guy
    @artgarcrunkle said:

.but yeah I'm mostly bumping this so I can read fanboys gets mad about nothing :]

TBH with you, I knew I was going to get angry fanboy responses before posting this thread, just goes to show how brave I am! But of course, I just wanted to get my opinion about Gerstmann now off my chest, and seeing how GiantBomb is based in America, only in America!
    @Slag said:

I think He brings it as well as I've observed him to for years upon years, I just think you're bored of his style. And the newness/power of it has worn off for you now that you have experienced other things.

wouldn't worry about, a person's tastes can change as one ages and experiences new things.

Not really. I still enjoy Gerstmann's old content. I did think that I was just tired of Gerstmann at first, until I re-watched Gerstmann showing off Warioware: Smooth Moves on On The Spot. It's still fucking hilarious.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Hizang

Jeff Is my hero.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dude's funny, and seems fairly stand-up, but I can't for the life of me appreciate any of his opinions.

He hates a lot of stuff, almost irrationally.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CptBedlam

Love him. Doesn't matter whether I agree with his opinions or not.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Winternet

I love the dude! Always have, always will.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#36  Edited By Yummylee

@artgarcrunkle said:

He's funny on the bombcast when he isn't doing LOUD SARCASTIC VOICE or talking about how he doesn't like anything. I've bought games based on his reviews and felt burned before...but yeah I'm mostly bumping this so I can read fanboys gets mad about nothing :]

Definitely agree about the LOUD SARCASTIC VOICE thing. I thought it was pretty funny and, whether intentional or not, makes him sound like Trey Parker. But god... he does it so often these days, and he appears to have a negative generalistion for everyone and they all apparently speak in that exact same kind of voice. His latest Jar Time in particular during the DLC rant segment made him appear like a bit of an asshole constantly doing that voice over and over.

I still think Jeff's a swell, funny guy and more often than not a very rational and reasonable dude, though. But his impressionist satire of people he finds annoying often backfires, usually making him sound even more annoying than the people he's impersonating.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BionicRadd

@SeriouslyNow said:

Your threads are shit.

This

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Julmust

At this point in time I feel like you suck OP.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @The_LMFAO_Guy said:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    If you anticipate "funny moments" when you watch/read the website's content, you're doing it wrong 
    Then what was the whole conversation about buying socks on the BombCast really all about huh? Are you implying that there's some sort of encrypted message that you can decipher? Then please, do so.   
    Just because they can be funny and they intentionally act funny and they deliver, doesn't make them a comedy group. 

Follow them, read their words and watch their videos as a video game enthusiast taking the two cents of video game journalists, and the laughter will come naturally. Measuring Gerstmann's performance based on the amount of "funny moments" is absurd.
    jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jayjonesjunior

being funny is just a bonus because he is already a pretty good video game journalist.

Alexandruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Alexandruxx
    @gabha said:
    It's weird, I don't remember if it was review scores or some of his opininion (though it wasn't his Zelda review, I actually liked for that), but he was probably the person I despised the most in this profession.   Then I started warming up to him when he was hosting On the spot and the Hotspot instead of Rich, and was genuianly sad when he was fired.  Now, after following him on GB and other places, he's become my most respected and loved person on the industry, right next to Greg Kasavin.
    My story exactly.
    TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TorMasturba

@The_LMFAO_Guy: You came on a website that serves mostly video content to people who LIKE that video content a lot, that's fueled by the editors' personalities, Jeff Gerstmann being one of those editors, and then bitch about how much you don't like them?

Firstly, in what world do you live in that this isn't trolling?

Secondly, If you don't like Jeff that's your oppinion, why not go complain about him on a website that he doesn't personally oversee?

Thirdly, you've made 71 posts to my current count as I type this post, don't you think you're being a tad masochistic to yourself if you hate/find boring one of the main people who produces content on this site and still keep coming back for more?

Is it not considered insane to do something that you don't like/doesn't work for you over and over again?

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Karl_Boss

He's awesome....just like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 he gets a 10/10.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hunkulese

@The_LMFAO_Guy: How did you not have the internet until 2006?

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By Nentisys

Jeff is pretty awesome. Dude gets DEEP in the jar videos.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

If you watch some of the Jar questions you see that he is much more insightful then what you might think.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By sagesebas

@The_LMFAO_Guy: While I really like him still and there a lot of great moments, there is just something about those hotspot episodes. And this is coming from someone who just started following giantbomb a year ago and that was my first exposure to the whole crew.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By shivermetimbers

My not giving a shit senses are tingling!

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By imsh_pl

@The_LMFAO_Guy said:

I can't really recall a really funny Gerstmann moment recently on GiantBomb. The content he has provided on Giantbomb just isn't as good as the content he provided on GameSpot.

lol

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MideonNViscera

He's my favorite review guy. I dunno why. We both agree on the same flaws usually I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.