Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jet Grind Radio

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jun 29, 2000

A young graffiti artist named Beat and his gang of inline-skating Rudies roam the cel-shaded streets of Tokyo-to while spraying tags, defeating rival gangs and evading a city-wide police crackdown.

Jet Set Radio HD gets a tiered release in September and October

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jewunit

Sega announced the release dates for Jet Grind Radio HD. The game will cost $10. Here is the release breakdown:

September 11: PSN release for PS+ members

September 18: PSN release for general public

September 19: XBLA and Steam releases

October 16: Vita release

I am surprised that the game will only cost $10 given the difficulty of putting together the original soundtrack. I can't wait to re-visit this game. I have played a number of games since I played the game on the Dreamcast and I am eager to see if it lives up to my memories.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FourWude

Sept 11... Where were you when Jet Set Radio HD launched?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Can't wait for this. Hopefully we hear something about Shenmue or Skies of Arcadia soon now.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cthomer5000

I can't wait for this. One of my 3 favorite games ever.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kermoosh

never got the chance to play this game. played the demo a ton of times

maybe i'll pick it up now

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By lethalki11ler

Ugh I have to wait until October 16th? Sucks!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By nintendoeats

The rhythm sequel to Jet Set Willy in which you bang your head against the keyboard in time with songs from Fiddler on the Roof.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By DoctorTran

I never played this so I'm excited to pick it up on steam.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Catarrhal

Guess I'll have to check this out, finally. I remember not being impressed with the demo from twelve years ago, and I doubt my opinion will have changed since then (especially considering the Quick Look Throwback). The whole graffiti dynamic seemed like a major pain in the ass--unlike the amazing sequel, in which the controls were beautifully streamlined.

In fact, I consider Jet Set Radio Future to be the greatest platformer of all time. And if you're not into Cibo Matto, you are not my friend.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

@Catarrhal said:

And if you're not into Cibo Matto, you are not my friend.

This.

I'm torn over this. I loved both JSR games, but the Dreamcast ports have been pretty lazy so far, and there was a certain amount of frustration that I could handle ten years ago that doesn't come so easy to me now. I'll pick up the demo and maybe that'll set off a spark in me, but I dunno.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#11  Edited By vigorousjammer

I still prefer the graffiti system from the first game more than in Future.

for big pieces, it would provide some amount of tension to finish the tag before the cops get you, instead of just being able to press one button and keep moving.

That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By That1BlackGuy

Hell yea son I still got my original copy for the Dreamcast but it'll nice to experience the games in HD, just hope they do the original titles justice.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Karl_Boss

Pretty pumped for this game.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jewunit

I downloaded the game yesterday and it is just as I remember it. Movement is still squirrelly, but the tagging mechanic feels very responsive. Most importantly, the atmosphere of the game remains intact. Nothing feels as good as dashing away from the police, through a crowd of people, and into the "safe zone". Then again, I played the game quite a bit on the Dreamcast, so I am predisposed to like this release. I may well try to "platinum" this game as it is a download and doesn't have many trophies to collect.

san_salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By san_salvador

Help me out!

I need this game, but should I buy it for the PC or XBLA? I have a decent PC, but is the port any good?

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

No thanks, I can already play DeLa Jet Set Radio on my Dreamcast while outputting in VGA.

san_salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By san_salvador

I sold my DC. With JSR. and Shenmue. I hate myself.

corban321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By corban321

I had never played this before, but this seems like a solid PC port. Xbox 360 controller works automatically, and there's no hitching like there was in the Quick Look of the Xbox version.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vigorousjammer

@corban321 said:

I had never played this before, but this seems like a solid PC port. Xbox 360 controller works automatically, and there's no hitching like there was in the Quick Look of the Xbox version.

Good to hear, I actually still own my old copy of this game on the Dreamcast, but having it in HD is nice. I mostly bought this to vote with my dollar and tell sega that they REALLY need to make a new JSR game.

Still, who knows if modern day Sega is even capable of making a good JSR game anymore?

Arestice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Arestice

@Vigorousjammer said:

@corban321 said:

Good to hear, I actually still own my old copy of this game on the Dreamcast, but having it in HD is nice. I mostly bought this to vote with my dollar and tell sega that they REALLY need to make a new JSR game.

Still, who knows if modern day Sega is even capable of making a good JSR game anymore?

I'm with you

I bought it to hopefully send a message to Sega and because of the achievements ;)

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cthomer5000

I bought it because this was a game i broke out every 3-4 years anyway, wanted it in HD, and hope it could spur Sega to try to do something with the license again, though i have severe doubts they could make a game like this again.

At least maybe they'll HD-ify JSRF?

Anyway im really liking it. Not having the hitching problem seen in the quicklook and im deep into chapter 2 at this point. The only issue im having is definite "in the red" audio on Professer K. Everything else is excellent. I'm on XBOX for reference.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By vigorousjammer

I'm pretty sure the blown out professor k dialogue was in the original, too. We just had shittier sound systems back then, lol

I ended up just playing through most of the game in one sitting, and I don't care what anybody says, it still holds up well.

I'll admit those chase sequences are a bit frustrating, and the controls can still be a bit janky at times.

But, the control scheme is so specific it also has a certain charm to it, and I remembered a lot of the little nuances of it from back in the day, like dashing and jumping while chasing guys to inch yourself a little closer. I also practiced a bit and was able to do the infinite grind at Shibuya terminal just like back in the old days. Ahh, good times. Totally worth $10. :)

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MiniPato

Just bought this yesterday on PC. I only ever played JSRF, so I figured I'd get JGR. I don't have a controller, but I'm managing. Playing a game with both hands on the keyboard is very unfamiliar for me. Controlling the camera with J,K,L,I is extremely weird. But it's not unplayably bad. Just had to remap the dash/grafitti thing to shift. Speaking of which, doing analog movements for the graffitti with WASD is going to give me carpal tunnel syndrome. I really need to purchase a gamepad :/

Game looks amazing though! Even in high 1080p resolutions. Kinda wish they redid some of the face textures to really smoothen them out, but overall, it's a really beautiful game to play. There's something about JSR and JSRF's cel shading that really makes it pop as opposed to other cel shaded games.

Yeah, the gameplay itself is kinda clunky, though most of it is probably me using keyboard to play it. Certainly takes some getting used to, but it's near impossible to tell which jumps will end up being short jumps and which will be long floaty jumps. Also is there a faster way to grind? I know you have to do a dashing jump on to a rail to get a fast grind, but sometimes you slow down the longer you grind. So if you're grinding slowly, is there anyway to speed up? The tutorial said jumping speeds up your grind, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I know in JSRF you can do a powergrind or something using spraycans, but there isn't an equivalent mechanic in this first one is there?

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By yakov456

Anyone else with the PS3 version having any audio glitches? Pretty deep into the game and suddenly sound effects dropped out, still music but no sounds.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.