Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

JSRF: Jet Set Radio Future

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 26, 2002

Jet Set Radio Future is set in a futuristic Tokyo. The follows a gang of J-pop inspired skaters and their efforts to fight an oppressive regime with music, urban mischief and spray-paint while beating off rival gangs.

This game is hard as hell

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By falling_fast

I've beat the original game twice so I thought, hey better pick up the sequel :] . but it's not really anything like the original. This one is full of really frustrating platforming, starting with when you fight the Immortals in whatchamacallit hills and the skyscraper district, and is way more twitchy than the original. It feels like if you push slightly too hard on the analog stick at any moment you'll accidentally grind onto ten rails in a row superfast and end up falling off the edge of the level. Or you'll just fall off the level, because you need to inch your way along in your rollerblades. The original didn't have anything like that. The controls were still imprecise, but it never demanded that kind of precision or made you slow down like every few seconds to a total stop to figure out how to do the next section. I don't think you even could fall off the edge of the level in JSR/JGR (edit: except in that one level by the water i guess, and the sewers, but that was never a problem). once you figure out that jumping makes you go faster in jet grind radio, that game is way easier.

I'm not saying it's a bad game or that I'm not still having fun, but I'm surprised because people seem to think this game's controls are better than those of the original game and that it's easier to go back to. Idunno, what do you think?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I loved it for the aesthetics and fast paced gameplay. I thought the originals focus on doing these intricate combos to spray your tags really broke up rhythm of skating around and grinding. Being able to tag in motion was a brilliant innovation for the series I think.

That said it is been so long that I can't really speak for how well it controlled. In my mind it's great..but it's been a while.

I really wish they made another one of these.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@humanity said:

I really wish they made another one of these.

we can definitely agree on this

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@humanity said:

I loved it for the aesthetics and fast paced gameplay. I thought the originals focus on doing these intricate combos to spray your tags really broke up rhythm of skating around and grinding. Being able to tag in motion was a brilliant innovation for the series I think.

You could actually tag in motion in the first game too (to a more limited extent but it was still in there), but I agree that removing the quicktime event based tagging was a good move.

There are also a lot of mechanic improvements to the movement in Future like the boost and handplant that can make navigating the space a lot easier than it was in the first game. Even with those additions though, I do think that both the original and this sequel are hard for a lot of people to go back to because of the controls and some of the unnecessary challenge that comes with dealing with their lack of precision.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.