Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ju-On: The Grudge

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Oct 31, 2009

Commemorating the Japanese horror film of the same name.

IGN preview: "Fucked up, no doubt about it."

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Meowayne

FeelPlus' (Co-developers of Lost Odyssey) "The Grudge" is not a survival horror game:

"JU-ON's definitely a different kind of game, as it's not survival horror, and it's not action-oriented -- there's no combat, no running from hordes of zombies or anything like that. It really is, though, a haunted house simulator -- an interactive, slow-paced exploration of a psychologically straining set of environments that will, guaranteed, cause you to have nightmares for weeks."

Right now, I have no idea how to feel* about this. It's almost - dare I say it - a "casual" approach, isn't it? It would fit Rising Star Games UK ad for the game:

I would have liked for it to be in the same vein as Fatal Frame, but I loves me some exploration of new genre possibilities, especially if it's done intelligently. Please, do experiment with the interactive storytelling, FeelPlus, you have my fullest support. It's infinitely better than the thousandst guns&explosions game - but I hope you leave your "boo!" scares at home.

* Get it? Hilarious, I know.

altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By altdimension

Sounds like a game heading to be banned in Australia, refused classification in the UK and given a AO in the US.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By TheKidNixon
    @AltDimension said:
    " Sounds like a game heading to be banned in Australia, refused classification in the UK and given a AO in the US. "
    What makes you say that? From what I can tell, it looks like a jump-scare generator, but there isn't really anything in the preview that suggests anything terribly graphic or offensive. I mean, I don't know about Australia. Maybe they hate being scared.

That said, I think this ACTUALLY might be a good game for the pulse thing. You have to remain calm to get through the level, and you can't move forward/you die if you get too scared. So you have to keep your pulse down while things are jumping out at you.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

jesus christ, you're right. This is the first game I can actually imagine that puls thingy to be used for.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By End_Boss

Interesting. I'll be sure to keep my eye on this one, and if it turns out to be as good as I hope, I'll probably have to try it out. :)

EDIT: Watched the actual trailer. Not gonna' lie, the croaking throat thing still gives me the heebie jeebies.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Nasar7
    @TheKidNixon: That sounds like a cool application for it but maybe they could keep in mind that just because your heart rate is elevated doesn't necessarily mean you aren't calm, cool and/or collected. 
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By flaminghobo

That video made me lol.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Here be a nifty teaser from XSEED:

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

22/40 in this weeks Famitsu = flop

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By flaminghobo

Sorry to bump an old topic, but this does seem like a game that could genuinely scare me. Being unable to defend myself from The Grudge is one reason and the other is the actual lack of enemies and thinking that Ju-On could pop up at any moment!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.