Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Judge Dredd

Character » appears in 8 games

In a future where crime has become so rampant that law enforcement is now a combination of Police officer, judge, jury, and executioner. Judge Dredd is their Chief "Judge". His catch phrase is "I am the law".

Is 'Dredd' a good film?

• 63 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By NTM

@crusader8463: No, I think people are setting the film up nicely. They're telling me exactly what I was expecting from this film, I just hope I like it more than I think I will; just because others here are saying it was a great movie doesn't make me automatically agree beforehand. I still have my limits. It's nice that people enjoy it, but they're not me. I hope I like it though. I wanted to more about the specifics rather than if it's just good or bad, and some have told me the answer already. Yes though, I agree, I can very much see this kind of thing turn into an HBO mini series. If that's what it took to expand the universe onto screen, I'd be all for it. Good luck with the comics and hope you like them.

Korne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By Korne

I saw it in 3D not expecting much, and was blown away how well paced and brilliantly shot it was. It has a very similar feel to the comic books, while adding in it's own concede. If you like straight up action flicks, you will enjoy this.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By buzz_clik

Yup, s'fucking aces. As a fan of the comics I was stoked that the balance had been more than restored after that Stallone abomination.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54  Edited By PandaBear

The thing about the Dredd comics is he isn't a hero. He's not even an anti-hero. He's a bureaucrat working within the system. He's the kind of guy to pull the trigger and kill a hundred innocent civilians to save a thousand, but above all else he follows the law by the book. That's why he's so good - he's a prick but he's not corrupt despite living in a place where it would be easy to become that way. Often times when reading the comics I'll sympathise with the criminals, and Dredd is human enough to as well, but that doesn't stop him from doing his job. Even if that means taking out corruption within the system.

I'm a fan of the comics, but I didn't have any time to see the movie. It'll be a Blu-ray rental (probably purchase) for me. Looks like they went about it the right way - tell a small tale and ditch the origin story.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By Hizang

It's one of my favourite movies this year, it's a nice simple action movie and one of the best part is Dredd never takes his mask off.

JordanK85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By JordanK85

I'll have to see this movie soon. It's amazing to me that it apparently turned out good when the trailer made it seem like complete, unnecessary, cash-in, garbage.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By DukesT3

Its pretty much the Raid but with Dredd and no real hand to hand combat. So thats a good thing, never read the comics but the film was my surprise hit of this year. Exciting violent and fun. For sure check it out if you can and maybe in 3D if thats possible, saw it in 2D but the 3D scenes seemed to be pretty neat.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@NTM said:

@TaliciaDragonsong: So it doesn't really explore what the comics story is, and it's basically its own thing with whatever surrounding it? For instance, does it ever go into a tangent and talk about the variety and names of different criminal groups in the city? Or is it just focused on one thing? I think there's a lot of great stuff in Judge Dredd that it'd be disappointing for a film based of of it not to explore the bigger themes that the comics have. I'd at least hope for some cool vistas showing the exteriors of the world and stuff like that, but from the trailers, it seems like it only shows a bit of that, and then the rest is in that building.

I have no clue what the comic story is but its like real basic. It tells you about the gangs, how Ma-Ma takes them out in her building, a drug is being spread and Dredd (+rookie) get send there for a investigation which goes sideways and lots of people die. The focus is almost completely on the building with Ma-Ma but its not terrible so I hope there's room for a sequel that expands. The setting looks cool enough to explore, if they just tone down the size of the helm. Because holy hell was that ever distracting!
    koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By koolaid

I like stupid action movies as a guilty pleasure. I like movies like Top Gun or the original Judge Dredd because they are fun to watch. I have no illusions that they are good films.

That being said, I thought Dredd was a fucking good film. And i was blown away by how good it was. It had good action, but more to the point... it had a strange commentary on the relationship between elements in a society, namely the police, criminals and the general populace that is caught in the middle. It's really cool.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By John1912

I was surprised I actually like the movie. Ive gotten pretty nit picky about a lot things far as story, character development, and overall atmosphere. I could draw similar problems in comparing say Looper, or Dishonored that really ruined them for me. Dredd just hits a sweet spot where I didnt really care that things werent fleshed out more. The slow mo drug was a pretty contrived choice to exploit the 3d effect, but yet again it really worked for the film and ended up being one of the better excuses for using 3d imo.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Rasmoss

I liked that it's the kind of movie that doesn't get made anymore - a movie that isn't overly concerned with being political correct or trying to fit some age rating. It's completely true to the character of Dredd in that he only sees things in black and white. There is the law and then there is being against the law. It's a bit like vigilante films out of the 70's. It's very refreshing.

Avatar image for hydrotherion1979
    hydrotherion1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By hydrotherion1979

I was surprised how much i liked Dredd. Never taking the helmet is a good thing. I liked it more then Taken 2.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By AssInAss

Dredd and The Raid were the only great action movies of 2012. No nonsense, tight pacing, great tension, no shaky ADD-edited action photography, cool characters, Lena Headey as one of the best movie villains and Karl Urban nails the snarl.

Love the low-tech style like the Matrix. Another cool detail is some of the District 9 people worked on this, since it's shot in S Africa.

I was surprised when the other bits of Dredd fiction came up, Alex Garland did a great job on the script.

And gorgeous cinematography, since it's from the same guy of Sunshine, 28 Days Later, and Slumdog Millionare.

I'm so picking up the blu ray when it comes out. Would love a sequel, man why did this not make much money?! It's perfect for America!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.