Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Just Cause 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 23, 2010

Rico Rodriguez returns to explore another autocratic island nation in this explosion-laded followup to Just Cause.

Game not running well on PC?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Okay guys so I have a high end games PC with these specs - 

Intel i7 920 
    GTX260  
    6gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz  

and Just Cause 2 seems that the frame rate is really choppy even though I have a high-end machine. 

I am running that game on High - Very High. 

What is the problem?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Also, I doubt this is only me but is anybody else's characters speech movement not matching the dialogue sometimes? 

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By metal_mills

Turn off the GPU water setting. It kills the frame rate even without water on screen. Turning down textures to medium helps a lot too. With those turned down you should be getting 60+

Edit: It should fix the cutscenes too.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " Turn off the GPU water setting. It kills the frame rate even without water on screen. Turning down textures to medium helps a lot too. With those turned down you should be getting 60+ "
    I ran a benchmark test and it caps at 59.9 frames.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By metal_mills
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    " Turn off the GPU water setting. It kills the frame rate even without water on screen. Turning down textures to medium helps a lot too. With those turned down you should be getting 60+ "
    I ran a benchmark test and it caps at 59.9 frames. "
    Turn off V-sync.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    Turn off V-sync. "
    Weird, I ran a bench mark test and with V-sync it caps at 30 now and with V-sync on a still only get around 40 - 50 fps. 

Strange seeing as I get about a 120 fps average on RE5 on highest settings.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow

You need to turn off the Bokeh filter.  That's the real drainer in cutscenes.  Yes, I've noticed that in cutscenes people's voices don't synch with their lip movements too. 

Atlantus_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Atlantus_Air
    @SeriouslyNow said:

"Yes, I've noticed that in cutscenes people's voices don't synch with their lip movements too.  "

That happens across all platforms, I think.
    Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Daryl

NOT SO HIGH END AFTER ALL!

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By metal_mills
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Metal_Mills said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    Turn off V-sync. "
    Weird, I ran a bench mark test and with V-sync it caps at 30 now and with V-sync on a still only get around 40 - 50 fps.  Strange seeing as I get about a 120 fps average on RE5 on highest settings. "
    Don't expect 120fps. I have your specs and get around 40(in heavy combat) - 90(Just walking around). Just jump into the game and try a few settings. Turn some things off/down and see what the frame rate is like.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " You need to turn off the Bokeh filter.  That's the real drainer in cutscenes.  Yes, I've noticed that in cutscenes people's voices don't synch with their lip movements too.  "
    Done, here is the settings I am running the game on - 

Texture - High 
    Shadow - High 
    Anti-Aliasing - 4x 
    Anisotropic filtering - 16x  
    Water - Very High  
    Object - Very High 
    Decals - On 
    Soft Particles - On 
    V-sync - Off 
    High res shadows - On 
    SSAO - Off 
    Point light specular - Off 
    Bokeh filter - Off 
    GPU water stimulation - On 

What should I change? With those setting I am getting around 40 fps.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Metal_Mills said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    Turn off V-sync. "
    Weird, I ran a bench mark test and with V-sync it caps at 30 now and with V-sync on a still only get around 40 - 50 fps.  Strange seeing as I get about a 120 fps average on RE5 on highest settings. "
    Don't expect 120fps. I have your specs and get around 40(in heavy combat) - 90(Just walking around). Just jump into the game and try a few settings. Turn some things off/down and see what the frame rate is like. "
    I get over 140fps in the air and around 80-60 on the ground.  Dual 9600GTs in SLI @ 1360x768.  Core i5 750 @ 3.2ghz
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By metal_mills
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" You need to turn off the Bokeh filter.  That's the real drainer in cutscenes.  Yes, I've noticed that in cutscenes people's voices don't synch with their lip movements too.  "

Done, here is the settings I am running the game on -  Texture - High Shadow - High Anti-Aliasing - 4x Anisotropic filtering - 16x  Water - Very High  Object - Very High Decals - On Soft Particles - On V-sync - Off High res shadows - On SSAO - Off Point light specular - Off Bokeh filter - Off GPU water stimulation - On  What should I change? With those setting I am getting around 40 fps. "
    Turn the GPU water stimulation off like I said before. It cuts the frame rate in half even without being near any water. If you want more of a buff(but not as significant) turn the Object detail down.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    Done, here is the settings I am running the game on -  Texture - High Shadow - High Anti-Aliasing - 4x Anisotropic filtering - 16x  Water - Very High  Object - Very High Decals - On Soft Particles - On V-sync - Off High res shadows - On SSAO - Off Point light specular - Off Bokeh filter - Off GPU water stimulation - On  What should I change? With those setting I am getting around 40 fps. "
    Well the Water Simulation eats around 20% of your framerate and it's not recommended unless you have dual GPUs.  I'd also also turn off AA if running a decently high res.  The game's blur filter hides most of the hard edges anyway while you're in motion.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By metal_mills
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    Well the Water Simulation eats around 20% of your framerate and it's not recommended unless you have dual GPUs.  I'd also also turn off AA if running a decently high res.  The game's blur filter hides most of the hard edges anyway while you're in motion. "
    He should be fine with AA on. There is basically no difference in frame rate for me with it on or off.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Only got 41.22 fps on ''The Dark Tower'' 

This sucks.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By metal_mills

With the GPU water turned off? That's odd. Try it with Objects on medium detail. If it's still really low then I'm not really sure. Are the graphics drivers fully updated? That might explain it.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " With the GPU water turned off? That's odd. Try it with Objects on medium detail. If it's still really low then I'm not really sure. Are the graphics drivers fully updated? That might explain it. "
    Just updated the drivers and ran at around 50 fps on The Dark Tower, I will run another one with the Objects on medium.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Metal_Mills said:
    " With the GPU water turned off? That's odd. Try it with Objects on medium detail. If it's still really low then I'm not really sure. Are the graphics drivers fully updated? That might explain it. "
    Just updated the drivers and ran at around 50 fps on The Dark Tower, I will run another one with the Objects on medium. "
    Medium only 52.2 fps. 

Any idea what is going on?
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kishan6
    @Daryl: lol?
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By mikemcn

I have the same exact specs except my card is a Radeon HD 4850, I was under the impression this game was meant for Nvidia, but i havent had any issues in the demo at max, no matter how much stuff I try and blow up. Maybe the full version is different.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Mikemcn said:
    " I have the same exact specs except my card is a Radeon HD 4850, I was under the impression this game was meant for Nvidia, but i havent had any issues in the demo at max, no matter how much stuff I try and blow up. Maybe the full version is different. "
    Same for me.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Bump, it is really annoying since it lags even when I am walking around.

MaskedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By MaskedGamer

Umm I can run this at only 20 fps on lowest setting so please don't complain

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By floodiastus

FPS is ok, but the aim is horrible, like a constant mouse-lag... going from L4D2 to this, it feels very unresponsive.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By 71Ranchero

I would say this is another case of poor pc optimization. Hopefully they will get a patch out soon because you shouldn't be having this much of a problem. 

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Atramentous said:

" I would say this is another case of poor pc optimization. Hopefully they will get a patch out soon because you shouldn't be having this much of a problem.  "

I hope it comes soon because its pissing me off :P
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@NekuSakuraba said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

Okay, this what I changed on my GTX260:

o shadows to medium
    o Disable high res shadows
    o water on high or medium (instead of very high)
    o SSAO off  - the FPS hit is a joke for what it does
    o Bokeh filter off - I think it's just as pointless as SSAO
    o GPU water stimulation off (you can always enable it temporarily to marvel at it).

Everything else can stay at the highest setting. The demo ran very well with those settings on my GTX260, 50-60 FPS average. Also, comparing this to a linear level based game like Resident Evil 5 is unfair. Just Cause 2 is a huge sandbox with constant texture and object streaming going on, Resident Evil 5 is just one small room after another. The best comparison is GTA IV.
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By amir90

GTA 4 is the closets new game to be compared to, but GTA 4 is one of the worst port to PC to excist, 1) doesn't support MULTIP GPU, 2) demands too much CPU power, if a clocked i7 can't do the job...

my benchmark result for just cause 2:
    Rig:  i7 920 @ 2.65
             6 GB RAM @ 1600mHz
             His Ati Radeon 4870x2 2GB vgram (it says 4, but I am pretty sure it is 2..)

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

On the last one, well the game didn't pop out any grass I think, dunno why.

W7. fan speed @ 60%, temperature was around 73C, very good temp for my card.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.