Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Just Cause 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 23, 2010

Rico Rodriguez returns to explore another autocratic island nation in this explosion-laded followup to Just Cause.

JC2 won't run on WinXP

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Tennmuerti

As some of you may have already heard the minimum system specs for Just Cause 2 were recently announced.

I'll spare you the details, key here are first and fifth bullet points
      - Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Windows XP is unsupported)
     -  DirectX: Microsoft DirectX 10 

Bummer for me, I was actually swayed by the trailers and planning on buying it. So heads up for other people who were planning on buying it.
    Edit: I was initially planning to write quite a substantial rant but deiced it came of as too whiny and I'm not a whiner :)

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By Luke

It's kind of confusing but I believe Microsoft is ending "Mainstream Support" for Windows XP on April 21, 2010. 

This may effect software developers even more so than it does for consumers.  If a developer can't get support from Microsoft on a certain OS, then it just makes that more difficult for them to support it themselves.  

I guess it's finally time for everyone to upgrade to Windows 7? 

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pazy

While this is rather annoying for people who are still using Windows XP there does need to be a point where you cut it off and run with the current version of Windows and the next version of DirectX. Thankfully only a few games required Vista since that isnt a good version of Windows but Windows 7 actually works so expecting that isnt actually all that terrible and modern cards have been running DirectX10 for a while, even my Laptop's integrated chipset runs Windows 7 (not that it could run Just Cause 2).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It makes sense from Microsoft's view, it's just like a new games console.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#5  Edited By Lazyaza

Finally upgrading to windows 7 this weekend so I'm not bothered, its an awesome os.  XP did come out in 2001so I imagine the number of games that stop supporting it will increase pretty rapidly in the next year or so.
    Its all for the best if you read up on the improvements between dx10-11 and the overall performance increases.

Here's a list of all the DX10 supported games for anyone interested.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " As some of you may have already heard the minimum system specs for Just Cause 2 were recently announced.    I'll spare you the details, key here are first and fifth bullet points   - Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Windows XP is unsupported)  -  DirectX: Microsoft DirectX 10   Bummer for me, I was actually swayed by the trailers and planning on buying it. So heads up for other people who were planning on buying it.Edit: I was initially planning to write quite a substantial rant but deiced it came of as too whiny and I'm not a whiner :) "
    Invest in windows 7. it's pretty awesome.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shiftymagician
    @jadeskye said:
    " @Tennmuerti said:
    " As some of you may have already heard the minimum system specs for Just Cause 2 were recently announced.    I'll spare you the details, key here are first and fifth bullet points   - Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Windows XP is unsupported)  -  DirectX: Microsoft DirectX 10   Bummer for me, I was actually swayed by the trailers and planning on buying it. So heads up for other people who were planning on buying it.Edit: I was initially planning to write quite a substantial rant but deiced it came of as too whiny and I'm not a whiner :) "
    Invest in windows 7. it's pretty awesome. "
    As a current user of windows 7, I agree that it is a pretty good investment.
    crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crystalskull2

I am planning to upgrade to windows 7 very soon ,but still 42% of steam users are still using xp. So,they should have kept the option to play it in xp. 

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By L33tfella_H

It's a darn shame, but in all honesty, i've needed to reformat for a while now, and i've been interested in W7 (Also been interested in JC2, so that's another bonus i guess).

It's time to slowly realize that XP is 9 years old, if MS (dunno if they had any hand in this or not) doesn't start migrating people over to 7, they'll have big problems soon. (then again, JC2 isn't exactly a big enough name to make that much difference)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

I'm on 7 but I still think it's pretty silly they can put in the extra work to port it to the consoles (which certainly don't have DX10 capabilities) yet don't bother reducing a few shader effects here and there for the PC release to be playable on DX9. It can certainly cripple that version's sales potential.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Al3xand3r: The game doesn't even look that impressive visually (atleast not the latest trailer, imo).
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By armaan8014

What the FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC***************************

Ive stuck to XP for SO long... Finally time for a goodbye :'(

Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda

for all you guys out there that dont have anything past xp. get an OEM copy of 7 from newegg or something. its way cheaper than getting the os from a store or somewhere else. besides windows 7 is actually pretty good compared to vista. my personal computer is still xp but thats because this old rig cant handle playing anything more advanced than halflife 2. at least handle it well. but ive got  7 on three other rigs and it works great.

besides if your a big pc gamer it is going to get harder to find games made for xp now that windows is stopping regular support in a couple months. this is one of the few pitfalls of pc gaming. dated hardware and dated os.

you could always just jump on the console bandwagon with all of the Internets rejected souls and argue with twelve year olds about your mothers sexual preferences with said twelve year old

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By AndrewB

Nobody complained when Windows 2000/ME support was dropped ages ago. XP has been around a long time. The only annoying part is that this is most likely because they're foregoing Direct X 9 support (after all, we're on version 11 of Direct X now), when later Direct X versions could surely run on the XP kernel if MS wanted it to.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Al3xand3r said:

" I'm on 7 but I still think it's pretty silly they can put in the extra work to port it to the consoles (which certainly don't have DX10 capabilities) yet don't bother reducing a few shader effects here and there for the PC release to be playable on DX9. It can certainly cripple that version's sales potential. "

I think it's good that they are specifically aiming for a higher bar than the either console version with the PC release.  I'm glad that they care enough for the PC to not make it a DX9 game and therefore not a lazy console port.  Direct3D9 and can be severely limiting in terms of shader throughput in highly complicated scenes where many shaders of a variety of differing precisions are in effect.  This is magnified in a game like Just Cause 2 where the map size is extremely large (moreso than any recent game) and when people on PC generally run their games at higher resolutions than their console equivalents.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By captain_clayman

JUST GET WINDOWS 7 

it's sooooo good.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaptainObvious

Well, no Just Cause 2 for me.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Brians
    @captain_clayman: I  won't get windows seven, for my old comp. Reformatted it 4 times since last year. New computer though I plan to get since my warranty on this comp expires in june.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tennmuerti

Like a lot of people I don't really want to upgrade the OS until I put together a new rig. It would be too much bother.
    So far the only game that I cannot max out on my laptop is Crysis, pretty much everything else I still run at max setting at 1920/1200 so for me at least there's not enough pressure to upgrade yet. Also JC2 is pretty much the only real big release that I cared about that does not support DX9.
    I totally agree from the tech perspective we need to start moving away from DX9 backwards compatibility. So it's all just a matter of there being enough incentive to upgrade for me, right now I don't really care enough about seeing playing Crysis in all it's glory since it's kind of a short shallow game outside of graphics. Metro 2033 is the only other title that I can think of atm that I'm interested in playing but would need to put together a new rig to do so at high settings. So still waiting for that dealbreaker.

Another issue I take with upgrading to Win7 is not it's performance (which I heard is ok) but the policies of Microsoft.
    For example I completely skipped the Vista OS generation in terms of gaming and it blew over just like I predicted.
    Now however there are news going round that MS is already planning for Win8 in the following year. See that seems kinda fast for me. It gives pause: ok so i'll upgrade to Win7 and DX11 but then say a new OS is released and MS does their old bullshit again and make DX12 only compatible with the new OS like they did twice already, that would be a bummer.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By spaceturtle

When I bought my new gaming rig about 4 months ago and was offered a great deal on windows 7 so I went for it. And now after 4 months I am absolutely loving it! Windows 7 isnt that bad. It is actually pretty good! There are a lot of easy too use functionalities which is the reason why I like it.

kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By kwyee

Unfortunately, I didn't read the small print and downloaded the 10GB demo.  There was a loud "FUCK".  
    Anyways, there's more than 1 reason to upgrade off of Windows XP (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8557144.stm) but like most people, I'll wait until my next rig upgrade before upgrading the OS.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.