Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Just Cause 3

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 01, 2015

Battle a dictator's forces in a fictional Mediterranean archipelago in this follow-up to the popular series from Avalanche Studios and Square-Enix.

How does Just Cause 3 run on consoles these days?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's been a while since the game was released and I imagine there have been at least a patch for it, right? Does the game run much better than it did at launch on both PS4 and Xbox One?

I've been wanting this and Rise of the Tomb Raider recently. Cleared out a few of the games in my backlog and I'm really wanting to go crazy with the world in this one

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

It's fine. The initial load is a bit long, but most of the in-game load times have been reduced to more reasonable times. I had a couple of bugs that dumped me out to the PS4 main menu, but in fifty or so hours of gameplay, that's not too bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Xbox player here. The framerate is stable, with some noticeable-but-not-unbearable dips during action. The load times are probably my biggest ongoing complaint, along with the game's tendency to hitch mid-action when you've somehow disconnected to the SquareEnix servers. It'll try to sign you in right there on the spot, often pausing the game mandatorily until it connects. I've opted just to play in offline mode as a result, eschewing the autolog-style leaderboard functionality, because come on.

Load times are still a bit too long to be completely ignorable. You'll have to do a lot of side challenges in Just Cause 3, and many times you'll fail or need to restart to ensure you complete the challenge well enough. Often, load screens in these situations float between thirty seconds to upwards of a full minute and a half, depending on the challenge. I clocked a two-minute load screen for a demolition challenge this weekend.

TL;DR -- It's okay. Not among the better-performing games on consoles. Not among the worst, either.

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

playing on xbox one, it's fine. gets a little framey when everything is popping off and the load times are still a little long but no where near as bad as launch when i could watch a 2-3 min youtube video while waiting for a challenge to load (or reload). crashed a couple times though (after load time patch) and the stuff with the servers is messed up even playing in offline sometimes when i go to look at the map it tries to sign me in.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FrostyRyan

Thanks for the replies and glad it's from xbox players. I was wanting to get the game on xbox one for some reason. Don't know if I'll get it or tomb raider though...

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

They released patch 1.03 yesterday (on ps4, at least), which seemed like my cue to finally get this game. Well I got it, and it runs like garbage on ps4 even with the patch installed. You can't even get into a firefight without it noticeably dipping. It's a shame because it seems like a fun game (I didn't play any of the previous games, so the sameyness of this one doesn't really apply to me).

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not particularly sensitive to this stuff but I do notice some pretty severe framerate dips when there are a lot of explosions happening (not ideal given how the game sells itself) and also when I'm in the wingsuit, although it's harder to tell what is causing this because it's quite random. Load times are still pretty bad but there aren't too many of them.

I haven't noticed a huge amount of improvement over time but I haven't played it all that consistently.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RonGalaxy

@thomasnash: I'm usually not sensitive to some dips into the high 20's when it comes to framerate, but jc3 goes beyond that from what I've seen. Some people are even saying this newest patch made it worse. I didn't play it pre 1.03 so I can't confirm that. All I know is that they need to address this.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: Yeah that's sort of what I was driving at. If it's bad enough for me to notice then it must be pretty bad!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

Have any of you guys tried playing it offline? I played on PC and didn't have anywhere near as many problems as some people reported when this game came out, but I did get some weird stuttering issues every now and then that were resolved by putting Steam in offline mode so that Just Cause 3 isn't constantly trying to contact Square's servers for leaderboard updates. Just wondering if that helps for the console versions.

As a side note, you're not really losing out on much. Just Cause 3 is a fun game, but there's not really much to it. The only real challenge is figuring out how you can do something in the coolest way possible.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thomasnash

Have any of you guys tried playing it offline? I played on PC and didn't have anywhere near as many problems as some people reported when this game came out, but I did get some weird stuttering issues every now and then that were resolved by putting Steam in offline mode so that Just Cause 3 isn't constantly trying to contact Square's servers for leaderboard updates. Just wondering if that helps for the console versions.

As a side note, you're not really losing out on much. Just Cause 3 is a fun game, but there's not really much to it. The only real challenge is figuring out how you can do something in the coolest way possible.

Yeah it's a pretty light game really. I liked the wingsuit challenges I guess? I'd probably play a game of just that if they added a trick system or something. That would be cool.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Shame it still hasn't been fixed. To date, JC3 is the only game I've ever traded in due to bad performance issues. Actually, to be honest, I also don't like the way the game is structured, and that also played a role in me getting rid of it, but if it was a more stable experience, I could've pushed through that stuff. I'm not usually bothered by framerate dips that badly, but whoo boy, it gets downright nasty in spots.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was supposed to have got a patch today that improved performance a lot. Not sure if it did.

Avatar image for shoguns_decapitator
    Shoguns_Decapitator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah about that patch...

Loading Video...

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RonGalaxy

I want to get a refund it's so bad, but best buys return policy says they'll only exchange it for the same thing.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Almost three months on from the last post... How does it run now on ps4? Still the same as previously indicated?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.