Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kerbal Space Program

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 27, 2015

Players create their own rockets from a variety of parts and then attempt to launch them into space.

Death Sled

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

After my "success" with the Brick Mk. II (which you can read about here), I thought to myself, "Now it's time to get this thing into space." Or low orbit. Space was the goal, but I knew that there would be many explosions between that and now. I redesigned the Brick Mk. II. I replaced its three jet engines for one rocket engine, because jet engines are useless above a certain altitude, and are slightly more useless outside of atmosphere. I also gave it a new name.

The Space Brick Mk. I. A sexier, spacier version of the Brick.

Now it could propel itself through high- and non-atmosphere altitudes. Then I began experimenting with various methods of assisting this thing into the air. So I looked into building sleds that would propel this thing down the runway. The plan was for it to detach from the sled before there was no more runway, and then launch itself into the air with the additional speed it had gained from the sled.

Yes, I did try firing the rockets. Yes, it ended pretty poorly.

After my first attempt, it became clear that this sled would have to be a massive endeavor on its own. As the picture above clearly shows, I didn't take into account how heavy eight solid fuel rocket boosters actually were. Out of curiosity, I hit the spacebar to fire up those rockets. It went down the runway and lifted off, and then promptly lost control and found the ground again.

Glorious!
    Glorious!

Success! Creating a "rail" behind the rockets to support it gave the sled the stability to go down the runway without blowing up. There was a problem, though. Despite how fast the entire thing was going, once I detached the plane from the sled, the sled would only continue to pick up speed. If the Space Brick wasn't already firing its engines, the sled would go faster then the plane. And those rocket boosters are nicely aligned with the rear of the Space Brick.

Two steps forward. Once step back.

Yeah. There were a few explosions.

So this is where things went crazy for me. It was already the early morning. I didn't have to wake up early the next day, so I went crazy with my designs. They only became more insane as I became more sleepy.

Add another fuselage, so that those rockets don't hit the plane's rocket.
    Success only breeds...hubris?
    The Space Brick Mk. II. Lovingly nicknamed the
    The Space Brick Mk. II. Lovingly nicknamed the "Space Crab."
    No, this didn't work out.

After sleeping and thinking back on my one success and more than one failure, I opted for something far more sensible. Something more space planey. In my heart, I knew that the "sled" would work, so I tried it a few more times, but with wings.

This was moderately successful.
    This was not successful.
    This was not successful.
    Nope.
    Nope.

I'm not quite sure how I ended up with a crossbow death sled, but I ended there. I may pick up the sled design again, but my next attempts will definitely use the plane-on-a-plane method.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After my "success" with the Brick Mk. II (which you can read about here), I thought to myself, "Now it's time to get this thing into space." Or low orbit. Space was the goal, but I knew that there would be many explosions between that and now. I redesigned the Brick Mk. II. I replaced its three jet engines for one rocket engine, because jet engines are useless above a certain altitude, and are slightly more useless outside of atmosphere. I also gave it a new name.

Now it could propel itself through high- and non-atmosphere altitudes. Then I began experimenting with various methods of assisting this thing into the air. So I looked into building sleds that would propel this thing down the runway. The plan was for it to detach from the sled before there was no more runway, and then launch itself into the air with the additional speed it had gained from the sled.

After my first attempt, it became clear that this sled would have to be a massive endeavor on its own. As the picture above clearly shows, I didn't take into account how heavy eight solid fuel rocket boosters actually were. Out of curiosity, I hit the spacebar to fire up those rockets. It went down the runway and lifted off, and then promptly lost control and found the ground again.

Glorious!
    Glorious!

Success! Creating a "rail" behind the rockets to support it gave the sled the stability to go down the runway without blowing up. There was a problem, though. Despite how fast the entire thing was going, once I detached the plane from the sled, the sled would only continue to pick up speed. If the Space Brick wasn't already firing its engines, the sled would go faster then the plane. And those rocket boosters are nicely aligned with the rear of the Space Brick.

Yeah. There were a few explosions.

So this is where things went crazy for me. It was already the early morning. I didn't have to wake up early the next day, so I went crazy with my designs. They only became more insane as I became more sleepy.

The Space Brick Mk. II. Lovingly nicknamed the
    The Space Brick Mk. II. Lovingly nicknamed the "Space Crab."

After sleeping and thinking back on my one success and more than one failure, I opted for something far more sensible. Something more space planey. In my heart, I knew that the "sled" would work, so I tried it a few more times, but with wings.

This was not successful.
    This was not successful.
    Nope.
    Nope.

I'm not quite sure how I ended up with a crossbow death sled, but I ended there. I may pick up the sled design again, but my next attempts will definitely use the plane-on-a-plane method.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

Clearly the solution is MOAR ENGINES!

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Grimhild

Keep going! I have faith in you!

Also your space crab looks kind of like Silpheed, which instantly makes it badass in my book.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

You design rockets the way that I kind of wish they would in real life. Crossbow Death Sled thing needs to exist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.