Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 22, 2012

Pit is brought back to life, now in 3D. Using clubs, staffs, arms, bows and a variety of other weapons, the loyal angel fights a host of old and new enemies in an all-new adventure.

Is anyone here getting this game day 1? If so, why?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

I've been looking at my 3DS and realized that the only retail game I have had in it for months is Super Mario Land 3D. I'm not saying the 3DS has no games, I've been buying and playing a bunch of eshop games and it's been great, I just feel like no retail games excite me for this platform. Looking at the release dates this game is coming up soon and I've heard nothing but mixed things. So for those of you that have a 3DS are you getting this game? If so, why?

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TentPole

Yes, because it looks badass.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By buft

I've sold my 3DS now but up until the day i decided to get rid of it my plan was to get it, however after hearing what people are saying about it, i probably wouldnt see myself purchasing it at full price.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

Yes, A little worried about all the stuff about awkward controls, but it looks lovely in the 3D videos and the dashy-aboutyness of it looks like the kind of game I'm really into.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By jacksukeru

Haven't heard or seen enough about it yet to make a definitive decision.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Yes, because it largely looks like what I'd want out of a new Kid Icarus.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BisonHero

I'm not getting it, because I finally got around to playing Sin & Punishment: Star Successor a few weeks ago, so that has fulfilled my quota for "crazy-ass rail shooter where you also have melee attacks" for the next several years. Also, that game has raised the bar for how crazy I want rail shooters to be, and what I've seen of Uprising doesn't seem all that exciting.

Nonetheless, I'll watch the inevitable Quick Look and see if it's enough to change my mind.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

I'm going to. The game looks fun and different from the 3DS games out there right now.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RE_Player1

Yeah so I pre-ordered it because Best Buy was giving 800 Reward Zone points ($10) with it. I hope it's good.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By awadnin

I preorder this game because I know it's going to be an awesome game + the preorder bounce (3D Classics: Kid Icarus).

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I totally pre-ordered the crap out of this game. So stoked for it to show up.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By evanbower

@msavo said:

I've been looking at my 3DS and realized that the only retail game I have had in it for months is Super Mario Land 3D. I'm not saying the 3DS has no games, I've been buying and playing a bunch of eshop games and it's been great, I just feel like no retail games excite me for this platform. Looking at the release dates this game is coming up soon and I've heard nothing but mixed things. So for those of you that have a 3DS are you getting this game? If so, why?

Yeah the previews were mixed, but now that the reviews are coming out things are looking pretty positive. So yeah, I'm definitely picking this one up, since 3D Land and Ocarina 3D are my only retail purchases for the system so far. Still 100%-ing 3D Land though.. but Shadow Mario keeps getting in my way.

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DrMcKittrick

I'm getting it day 1. We all know it's going to rock.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Seriously tempted to somehow acquire the money for this tomorrow!

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#15  Edited By beard_of_zeus

I'm considering it; the reviews I've seen so far seem to indicate that it's a fun game with some awkward (although extremely customizable) controls.

Best Buy has it for 10 bucks off at launch already as well, which is pushing me in the "buy it" direction.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

It looks pretty dull, and seems to have exactly nothing to do with Kid Icarus, so I don't get what people care about.

serverfull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By serverfull

I just had MR. UPS man show up at work. Played the first 2 chapters with the "stand" on my desk. The visuals are amazing. The gameplay was boring at first (Chapter 1 starts you at 2.0 for intensity). Cranked it up to 5.0 for Chapter 2 and man what a crazy ass fun game. It gets hard quick by ramping it up. I haven't tried it without the stand yet but overall the controls work for the gameplay. I don't do marathons on handhelds though. Outside of MGS3D (1hr at lunch), I don't play for more then 15-20 mins at a time through out the day. If I known it was 29.99 at Best Buy I would have purchased it there...DAMN YOU AMAZON!!!

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Grabbed it today as a birthday gift for a friend of my son since it's $30 at Best Buy this week.

Might order a 2nd copy online for in-store pickup while it's $10 off just in case I decide to get it for myself.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@MikkaQ: What are you talking about, there's a kid in a white toga shooting arrows. That's canon.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

@Krakn3Dfx said:

@MikkaQ: What are you talking about, there's a kid in a white toga shooting arrows. That's canon.

If that's good enough for the fan base, then I feel like I would have to acknowledge that those fucking awful Pac-Man and Frogger platformer games were actually Pac-Man and Frogger games.

What I'm trying to say is that the gameplay is going to be nothing like the original, which is strange because the setting sure as shit wasn't what made the game fun.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel

@MikkaQ said:

@Krakn3Dfx said:

If that's good enough for the fan base, then I feel like I would have to acknowledge that those fucking awful Pac-Man and Frogger platformer games were actually Pac-Man and Frogger games.

What I'm trying to say is that the gameplay is going to be nothing like the original, which is strange because the setting sure as shit wasn't what made the game fun.

There also hasn't been a Kid Icarus game in over twenty years. Compare Skyward Sword to the original Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Galaxy 2 to the original Super Mario Bros., and you see similar stark differences in the way that the games play. And even with all of the changes, there are core elements that do link the gameplay of the original game and Uprising. They're just obscured by over two decades in the advancement of game design.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I'm waiting for the Quick Look to decide if I want it.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TentPole

@TentPole said:

Yes, because it looks badass.

I bought it. It is badass.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

@Hailinel said:

@MikkaQ said:

@Krakn3Dfx said:

There also hasn't been a Kid Icarus game in over twenty years. Compare Skyward Sword to the original Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Galaxy 2 to the original Super Mario Bros., and you see similar stark differences in the way that the games play. And even with all of the changes, there are core elements that do link the gameplay of the original game and Uprising. They're just obscured by over two decades in the advancement of game design.

Yeah but those games had a logical progression, I honestly couldn't imagine Kid Icarus becoming a rail shooter. I would think more of an action adventure game comes to mind.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hailinel

@MikkaQ said:

@Hailinel said:

@MikkaQ said:

@Krakn3Dfx said:

Yeah but those games had a logical progression, I honestly couldn't imagine Kid Icarus becoming a rail shooter. I would think more of an action adventure game comes to mind.

It's only partially a rail shooter. The stages are divided into a rail shooting segment and an on-foot action segment that isn't on rails.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vinsanityv22

There's no way in hell I'm buying Kid Icarus. I don't care how well produced a game is, or how charming and cool it's world may be. If it's painful to play, it's a failure - anyone remember Metroid Prime Hunters for the DS? A well executed title, and a graphical showcase for the hardware. Yet no one cares about it today. Because it fucking felt terrible. From what I played of Kid Icarus at GDC, from what I heard from my friends who've played it, and from all reviews about it, Kid Icarus controls like shit. Shit that hates your hands, and wants to stab them, and smash them with a hammer.

It's a fucking video game. If there's any obstacle in the way from enjoying it, it's a failure. MOST games don't screw up the part about how to hold a controller to play it though.

My advice to you is, go back and check out a few 3DS games that already came out. You are not alone in not playing much - I realized a few weeks ago that I only had Mario 3D Land and Zelda and hated that fact. So I went to Amazon and checked out some stuff. Games like Shinobi (which is actually pretty awesome, despite being hideous) and Ridge Racer are, like, 20 bucks now NEW. They did not sell well, it seems. I feel like all non-Nintendo 3DS games will suffer this fate. I picked up those two, and Doctor Lautrec, Super Monkey Ball and Ace Combat all for 20 bucks apiece or less. It's gonna be awhile before I see some games that I want to buy on Day 1 (Like Heroes of Ruin or Bravely Default).

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By DarthOrange

I surprised my brother and took him to go buy it after he got out of school. He seemed to like it, it only took a short while to get used to the controls.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel

@vinsanityv22 said:

There's no way in hell I'm buying Kid Icarus. I don't care how well produced a game is, or how charming and cool it's world may be. If it's painful to play, it's a failure - anyone remember Metroid Prime Hunters for the DS? A well executed title, and a graphical showcase for the hardware. Yet no one cares about it today. Because it fucking felt terrible. From what I played of Kid Icarus at GDC, from what I heard from my friends who've played it, and from all reviews about it, Kid Icarus controls like shit. Shit that hates your hands, and wants to stab them, and smash them with a hammer.

It's a fucking video game. If there's any obstacle in the way from enjoying it, it's a failure. MOST games don't screw up the part about how to hold a controller to play it though.

My advice to you is, go back and check out a few 3DS games that already came out. You are not alone in not playing much - I realized a few weeks ago that I only had Mario 3D Land and Zelda and hated that fact. So I went to Amazon and checked out some stuff. Games like Shinobi (which is actually pretty awesome, despite being hideous) and Ridge Racer are, like, 20 bucks now NEW. They did not sell well, it seems. I feel like all non-Nintendo 3DS games will suffer this fate. I picked up those two, and Doctor Lautrec, Super Monkey Ball and Ace Combat all for 20 bucks apiece or less. It's gonna be awhile before I see some games that I want to buy on Day 1 (Like Heroes of Ruin or Bravely Default).

It's not painful to play, though.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Omega

I didn't expect to get this day one. I didn't expect to get it at all. Just yesterday I plopped down $15 for another month of SWTOR to tie me over until Xenoblade. Unfortunately I was returning after only playing the first free month and it turns out at some point a patch was issued that basically makes my GPU overheat after 20 minutes. A problem I never faced before the patch. Clearly Bioware doesn't want me to play their fancy little MMO. So I said fuck it and bought Kid Icarus and am having a blast.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.