Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kiefer Sutherland

Person » credited in 4 games

Kiefer Sutherland is a Canadian actor who has supplied voice work in various video game projects. He is best known as the star of the cancelled television series '24'.

He's your next Snake...Kake

• 81 results
    jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By jsnyder82
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#52  Edited By musubi

@yummylee said:

@minipato said:

Sure why not. I was a huge Metal Gear fan, but jumped ship from the series after 4, both as a series fan and as Hayter fan. I thought his old voice was just...eh. So now I don't really give a shit what makes Metal Gear a "true" Metal Gear. I still get excited for a new Metal Gear title and I bought Peace Walker, but I don't have the same fervent fandom that I used to. After MGS4, they can do whatever the hell they want with the series so I say bring on the Sutherland.

That sounds awfully close to where I stand now as well. I wasn't the biggest fan of MGS4 and thought Hayter's voice was starting to sound like he had throat cancer or something. Hell, it was even worse in Peace Walker, which itself was kind of a mediocre game at that.

Whoa. Can't say I agree with that Peacewalker was pretty damn great in my book. My only regret is that I didn't play it sooner.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#53  Edited By Yummylee

@demoskinos: I enjoyed the base building and staff allocating management stuff, it was everything else around it that I really disliked. The stealth gameplay was just so shallow and the shooting wasn't all that great, either. Plus it had the same problem with MGS4 where there's all these different guns, but all you really need is the tranquiliser. Well, besides for the boss battles, though that's another aspect of the game I'm really not a fan of.

Anyway that's why I'm so excited for Phantom Pain, because I'm to believe it'll still have all of that management stuff, but the action/stealth portion will theoretically play a whole lot better.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By artelinarose

I think this is the closest I've ever been to having a real, proper broken heart. I want to cry but it just hurts a little too much to be able to do that.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By cutyoface

This is pretty neat. I think Kiefer Sutherland is a good replacement for Hayter.

Avatar image for deactivated-613c903ddf820
    deactivated-613c903ddf820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@yummylee said:

@demoskinos: I enjoyed the base building and staff allocating management stuff, it was everything else around it that I really disliked. The stealth gameplay was just so shallow and the shooting wasn't all that great, either. Plus it had the same problem with MGS4 where there's all these different guns, but all you really need is the tranquiliser. Well, besides for the boss battles, though that's another aspect of the game I'm really not a fan of.

Anyway that's why I'm so excited for Phantom Pain, because I'm to believe it'll still have all of that management stuff, but the action/stealth portion will theoretically play a whole lot better.

Yeah I get what you mean as far as the weapon selection goes. I think Kojima pretty much nailed it with MGS1. Doesn't really feel like a sneaking game anymore when you carry a small arsenal of weapons. Besides none of them had a clear advantage over the other so it didn't really matter which weapon you equipped.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: There was plenty of reasons to research the lethal weapons all the Extra Ops missions you really needed to outfit your soldiers with the best guns if you wanted to win. Not to mention carrying stuff over into the multiplayer. Personally I thought the bosses were cool in Peacewalker. Doing runs on levels to try to get specific parts for ZEKE or recruits almost gave it a tinge of a MMO-ish feel. I'd argue that the stealth in all the games has always been clunky and kind of a mess and I'm a insanely huge fan. Because honestly the best stealth routes in the games are only found through repeated attempts at areas and memorizing guard patterns down to the second. Its really less actual stealth and more just route memorization.

Although the early sections of MGS4 with the Octo camo had some opportunity for genuine stealth. Even then it was a lot of already knowing that guard A is going to spot X so go to spot B when he does.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I really like Hayter as Snake but I can sort of hear in Keifer's voice how this change could work. He just needs to get more gravelly - it will be interesting hearing the voice properly.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Kojima is stuck on this series until the day he dies, he should at least be allowed to change things up every now and then.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Snake Bauer's going to save the world... in 24 hours! Beep Boop Beep Boop... the drama!

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By Aegon

@pie said:

@demoskinos: You're wrong and I'm right.

Didn't read the post, but if the fight is about MGS4, It's a good game. The entertaining kind of crazy. Also, dat final boss. Also, dat pre-final boss microwave corridor.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

@pie said:

Didn't read the post, but if the fight is about MGS4, It's a good game. The entertaining kind of crazy. Also, dat final boss. Also, dat pre-final boss microwave corridor.

No it's about Peace Walker and how bad some of it is. (Most of it)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

@pie said:

Its about Peacewalker I do believe. Which I found to be highly entertaining all the way around. The final battle that leads to the "real" ending is so damn goofy and amazing.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@turboman said:

What the fuck is that stone thing in the top right of snakes head?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Yummylee

@demoskinos: I tried the multiplayer for like 20 minutes or so... It's really bad, like hilariously so, but I at least got some fun out of just running around spouting out random nonsense with the CO-OP communication Snake quotes.

And I don't think the stealth is clunky, just really shallow. Like, you can't even crawl in that game, nor can you shimmy along walls. Enemy guards also have incredibly poor eyesight and all I've ever really had to do is just tranquilise everyone in sight. Plus camo is pretty much useless. Though that's still preferable to trial-and-error'ing it until you find which camo suits which stage the best, considering you can't change camo outfits mid-mission.

MGS3 was a proper stealth game. While yes, guard routes never changed (well, they'd add more guards on higher difficulties), but the game gave you so many options to tackle a lot the situations presented to you, whereas in Peace Walker the guards are so dimwitted and my tranq-silencer is so durable (or rather the missions are so short that there's little chance of it breaking) that headshotting every guard is the only sort of tactic required.

The boss battles... eh, they're just not very interesting. The best boss battles in MGS games have of course been the humanoid enemies, but even stuff like Metal Gear Rex for example wasn't just a seemingly invincible bullet-sponge that you just shoot at for 40 minutes with little deviation. I should preface this by saying I've pretty much played all of it in single-player, so while I understand they're ordinarily intended for a full squad of four, they still should have better scaled for when it's just one player.

Recruiting new soldiers and deciding what to do with them is awesome, though. Again, I really enjoyed all of the stuff back at your MSF base. But then even stuff like recruiting volunteers is so weirdly designed. Like, why do I constantly have to keep going to the beach over and over so I throw around some new recruits who don't even fight back in the first place? You'd think after so long you'd just automatically recruit them without having to still go through all of that busywork.

Building your own Metal Gear is also pretty fucking awesome, too, but I should admit that I never got that far. I beat Peace Walker least, but after that I just got bored and found a lot of the new boss battle missions to be too tough to face on my own and gave up.

Plus...

@pie said:

The story and characters were terrible.

While I at least liked Miller a lot, yeah, the story is fucking dumb, like the whole thing with The Boss AI and Hot Coldman... OK, no, that's actually really kinda great. The cutscenes at least look superb and it definitely has some of the best QTE's in a game ever (faint praise is praise all the same), but I rarely cared about anything that was happening unfortunately. In MGS2 I would spend hours sitting there listening to codec conversations, whereas in Peace Walker I've barely gone near all of those optional codec discussions you can listen to.

So, yeah, Peace Walker is definitely very mixed for me. Honestly didn't expect this to lead into me discussing my opinion about Peace Walker, but there we are I guess :P

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

@pie said:

Its about Peacewalker I do believe. Which I found to be highly entertaining all the way around. The final battle that leads to the "real" ending is so damn goofy and amazing.

Yeah, you're right. It is so terrible it is kinda funny.

God damn rocket powered hands creepy anime bullshit dumb bird watching terrible child acting crappy comic cutscene urgh

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So far as known actors go, Kiefer is about as good a replacement as I can think of. It still won't be the same without ole Hayter, but he'll do a good job.

Plus, when young Solid Snake shows up at the end, it'd be weird to have David Hayter talking to himself.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie Oh my gosh you take it back right now i am gonna kick ur but so bad

@yummylee

What?! The best conversations in the game are in the optional stuff like they are in all MGS games. Get off the forums and go listen to them right now!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia: But I don't care about any of the characters D=... Eh, it's too late, I'm a lost cause. I think my time with Peace Walker is at a close, and I gave that game a helluva long time to win me over, but there's just too much crap that keeps getting in the way.

Christ, like the missions where that Russian guy keeps escaping... Fuck me.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@artemesia:

Loading Video...

Really quality stuff.

(you can zoom in and erhgh take the clothes off the erghhhhhhhhhh 15 year old girl urghhrheszhr)

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

I predict the Hayter/Sutherland split will be over whether people prefer the goofier parts of Metal Gear or the more serious parts. Hayter will be better at doing the former, Sutherland the latter. In fact, I can't imagine Jack Bauer even getting in the booth to voice a man speaking to a talking cat, or saying something like "Metal Geaarr?" Maybe the switch signifies a more down-to-earth sequel.

Oh wait, that trailer had flaming whales.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

@yummylee: I own a (PSP) copy of Peace Walker and played it for like 90 minutes before thinking: "The meta-aspects of this seem ok, but I hate these controls with a burning passion" and stopping. I assume it isn't worth it to continue and I should spend my PSP time finishing up whatever absurdly grindy SRPGs I own instead?

To get back on the topic at hand... the voice of Solid Snake is iconic, but I feel like Hayter's gravel got more ridiculous as the series went on, and I'm not so attached to his voice that I wouldn't accept Jack Bauer as the voice of Big Boss. I watched enough 24 to know he can do grizzled and gruff far more naturally than Hayter.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

@pie said:

While many of my complaints are story related, I also have issues with it from a gameplay perspective. The game was painfully short and incredibly easy. Act 3 is just tedious. You had infinite ammo, aka the drebin store. And it really seemed like Kojima wanted to make more open ended level design, but had trouble making it challenging. You only had 2 codec contacts. Octocamo and third person aiming are amazing additions to the series, but again, it seemed like they had trouble designing challenging gameplay around it. If I had to describe the game in one word, it would be "unsatisfying."

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the movie announcement and firing your lead actor to chase a bigger name, it might be emblematic of something bigger. If so, I'm worried about MGS losing its charm.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Yummylee

@yummylee: I own a (PSP) copy of Peace Walker and played it for like 90 minutes before thinking: "The meta-aspects of this seem ok, but I hate these controls with a burning passion" and stopping. I assume it isn't worth it to continue and I should spend my PSP time finishing up whatever absurdly grindy SRPGs I own instead?

Probably not. While the game's pretty sizeable, it's mostly a lot of the same and the game will reuse environments pretty liberally. I never found the story very engaging, either, and some of the dumb on display was just... dumb dumb, not funny dumb. You may feel different otherwise on that front, though, but if you're struggling with the controls, never mind potentially getting as bored as I did with the core stealth/shooting gameplay, then yes, I would say your time may be better spent elsewhere.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Ravenlight

@somejerk said:

I liked him in Guyver 2 but he's so salty he's attracting deer.

You have found the combination of random words that makes me fall out of my chair in delight every time I read them.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#81  Edited By Aegon

@somejerk said:

I liked him in Guyver 2 but he's so salty he's attracting deer.

You have found the combination of random words that makes me fall out of my chair in delight every time I read them.

That is...a very unique arrangement.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.