Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

All This Kinect Talk Got Me Thinking About Hardcore Gaming

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

Edited By mordecaix7

What if we completely ditch the idea of only using the Kinect controller or the Xbox 360 controller?  What is wrong with using both?  Certain games are only going to work well with a physical controller and certain games will do very well using a motion camera controller.  I believe using both controllers in a game is possible and could actually make a really fun diversion or immerse into the game even better.  I thought of a couple of examples, which may or may not have been brought up before.

Using Kinect for Diversions or Minor Functions

Thinking in terms of a real world example: playing Fable.  I haven't played much Fable, so I'm not sure if you can do this or not, but let's pretend you can mix potions and items in Fable.  Since not every one would have Kinect, you would still go to the menu and select two objects and press A to combine.  Same way we've always done.  What if an option was allowed to put down the controller and have items displayed on the ground in front of you.  Then you would use your hands to move the onscreen hands to grab the different ingredients, place them in a bowl or bottle and grind or shake the ingredients to mix them up and actually create your new potions and combined items?  I would personally have a bit of fun with that.

Using Kinect in Tandem with Game Actions

Pretending Metal Gear Solid 4 was on the 360 (as I know many of us wish this was true), you back up against a wall so you can look around the corner.  What if instead of pressing the "lean" button, you just leaned you're body/head to the left to make Snake take a quick peek?  This kind of plays to the old habit many of us had as kids where we'd try to dodge and jump higher by leaning left, right and ducking while playing the game.  Take that idea and apply it in ways that make sense like Metal Gear Solid.  Another example could be summons in an RPG.  An elaborate arm motion makes a summon happen. 

These are two quick, simple examples but it got me thinking that Kinect can actually work with hardcore gaming if we ditch the idea of solely using one controller or the other.  For all I know, it may not work in the real world but it gives me hope that Kinect can be more than Kinectimals.
    mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By mordecaix7

What if we completely ditch the idea of only using the Kinect controller or the Xbox 360 controller?  What is wrong with using both?  Certain games are only going to work well with a physical controller and certain games will do very well using a motion camera controller.  I believe using both controllers in a game is possible and could actually make a really fun diversion or immerse into the game even better.  I thought of a couple of examples, which may or may not have been brought up before.

Using Kinect for Diversions or Minor Functions

Thinking in terms of a real world example: playing Fable.  I haven't played much Fable, so I'm not sure if you can do this or not, but let's pretend you can mix potions and items in Fable.  Since not every one would have Kinect, you would still go to the menu and select two objects and press A to combine.  Same way we've always done.  What if an option was allowed to put down the controller and have items displayed on the ground in front of you.  Then you would use your hands to move the onscreen hands to grab the different ingredients, place them in a bowl or bottle and grind or shake the ingredients to mix them up and actually create your new potions and combined items?  I would personally have a bit of fun with that.

Using Kinect in Tandem with Game Actions

Pretending Metal Gear Solid 4 was on the 360 (as I know many of us wish this was true), you back up against a wall so you can look around the corner.  What if instead of pressing the "lean" button, you just leaned you're body/head to the left to make Snake take a quick peek?  This kind of plays to the old habit many of us had as kids where we'd try to dodge and jump higher by leaning left, right and ducking while playing the game.  Take that idea and apply it in ways that make sense like Metal Gear Solid.  Another example could be summons in an RPG.  An elaborate arm motion makes a summon happen. 

These are two quick, simple examples but it got me thinking that Kinect can actually work with hardcore gaming if we ditch the idea of solely using one controller or the other.  For all I know, it may not work in the real world but it gives me hope that Kinect can be more than Kinectimals.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.