Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Kinect - Biggest "Meh" this console-generation?

AAsama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By AAsama

Before Giantbomb's Kinect liveshow I had a picture of it being like a fun wii-like accessory, except YOU ARE THE CONTROLLER/TOOL. With the added bonus of the xbox itself then it seemed like a pretty solid package, "normal" gaming aswell as "hello batman"-ing.

The liveshow however made me see what I was truly in for: Unresponsiveness in even the best of conditions(green screen, plenty of light and space) and waggle-based games. Some of this could be excused by the simple fact that "Hey, this thing just got released. Theres plenty of other games coming.", but after having seen a consistent design descision throughout the games I fear that this is just the nature of Kinect. 

Its not all bad though, I definately saw the highlights of this accessory with the fitness games(especailly fitness evolved). This seems like something right up Kinects's alley: Not focusing on detailed capturing of hands/feet but the overall movement and placement of your entire body. We all saw that it works fine, at launch. I feel its very important to stress that this is still very early and for it to work as well as it does(granted, in near-optimal conditions) is very impressive. 

So where does Kinect go from here? 
     Keep pushing out waggle-games until something sticks? Focus on fitness programs? How many workout "games" do you even NEED?

We are definately in an interesting time right now. We are right in the middle of either a success or flop that will be noted down in the chronicles of history, just like the console/platform battles of yore. Only question is: Will Kinect be the innovator or the booger on face of Microsoft?

AAsama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By AAsama

Before Giantbomb's Kinect liveshow I had a picture of it being like a fun wii-like accessory, except YOU ARE THE CONTROLLER/TOOL. With the added bonus of the xbox itself then it seemed like a pretty solid package, "normal" gaming aswell as "hello batman"-ing.

The liveshow however made me see what I was truly in for: Unresponsiveness in even the best of conditions(green screen, plenty of light and space) and waggle-based games. Some of this could be excused by the simple fact that "Hey, this thing just got released. Theres plenty of other games coming.", but after having seen a consistent design descision throughout the games I fear that this is just the nature of Kinect. 

Its not all bad though, I definately saw the highlights of this accessory with the fitness games(especailly fitness evolved). This seems like something right up Kinects's alley: Not focusing on detailed capturing of hands/feet but the overall movement and placement of your entire body. We all saw that it works fine, at launch. I feel its very important to stress that this is still very early and for it to work as well as it does(granted, in near-optimal conditions) is very impressive. 

So where does Kinect go from here? 
     Keep pushing out waggle-games until something sticks? Focus on fitness programs? How many workout "games" do you even NEED?

We are definately in an interesting time right now. We are right in the middle of either a success or flop that will be noted down in the chronicles of history, just like the console/platform battles of yore. Only question is: Will Kinect be the innovator or the booger on face of Microsoft?

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hockeymask27

I kind of agree. However it will be sweet when the voice stuff becomes built into the next console. 

GadoDelIon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GadoDelIon

You have made some points here, Sir I have no previous interaction with.

Some points.

Good points.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I agree, the device is fun and does what it should but in the long run there's not gonna be a industry changer as they pegged it.

I think Wii accomplished more then the Kinect can, but they're welcome to prove me wrong.
    But I'm tired of the "here's some new tech, but we don't got games yet" excuse.

Tech is useless without the games!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Dalai

Kinect is simply too experimental right now to be a successful product, but if the tech makes its way into the next generation of consoles and is perfected, they might have something huge.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Julmust

I have no idea of what they'll do with it. But I have tried the Kinect and I was really intrigued, I think it's really cool, so I'll be getting one soon to check out all the stuff more in depth.
    No money in the pocket for me at this point, so I'll have to wait for a used, christmas or an offer for the Kinect. 

When I do get it, I'll get Dance Central and Kinectimals as of the games released now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.