Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

More misunderstanding made me stop watching Bonus Round

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cheapoz

It's not my favourite source of video game content, but it's HD so when nothing else is on...

But anyway, the guy in the middle this week, he starts this rant about how he doesn't want Natal, and it's a step backwards, and he doesn't want to replace his controller with it...

GUESS WHAT MORON, YOU DON'T HAVE TO!!

How much longer will we have to put up with this ignorance? The 360 comes with a remote controller device, do we have people complaining that they'll have to play Halo with it?! No! 

Natal is an interface for particular situations. The more people bang on and on about how they don't want it for this, and don't want it for that, the more frustrating this is. 

It's optional.
    tychoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By tychoon

I totally agree with you, it's really stupid how some people have reacted.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

E-mail him, tell him he's a moron. Post back the results here.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By NickL

even with it being optional, the statement of not wanting to use it over a controller still makes sense... and i agree with it

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Plasma

Yeah I get annoyed by that guy, like when he talks on Invisibile Walls (the reason I stopped listening)

I dont mind that i disagree with him most of the time, its the way he speaks down as though his opinion is ALWAYS right...

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PercyChuggs

Was it McWhertor from Kotaku? If so, what do you expect? The only thing the guy writes about is Team Fortress 2 updates.

Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kazu666

It may be optional now...but if Natal increases sales by a significant amount, the chances of the next xbox using standard controllers is pretty slim IMO

tychoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tychoon

I'm 100% sure that standard controllers will not go away. It's impossible to even imagine and so i think it will not happen(at least not yet) since it would drive hardcore gamers away from the console. I believe that losing standard controller support is the least of our worries.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cheapoz
    @Kazu666 said:
    " It may be optional now...but if Natal increases sales by a significant amount, the chances of the next xbox using standard controllers is pretty slim IMO "
    How many copies of Halo have they sold? How many copies of Gears of War have they sold?

Natal would have to boost sales, at least 5-10 times the amount of copes of those 2 franchises alone for MS to even remotely consider crippling their next console to not be able to play them. Let alone all the other games. This is idiotic.

The "core" seems to represent this fear of being replaced. It  is SO STUPID. The "core" MADE the 360 this successful. The Natal is an add-on peripheral, for an add-on audience. It's not replacing, taking over, or reinventing anything. 
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cheapoz
    @NickL said:
    " even with it being optional, the statement of not wanting to use it over a controller still makes sense... and i agree with it "
    Yep, I agree also that I'm not about to go "changing resolution settings" with my hands instead of a controller. But the Natal is not intended to be that or do that. 

Otherwise you would've seen well adjusted, white, mid 30s couples going through the dashboard options with their hands. Not picking movies or playing games.

It's not for that. It's not replacing that. IT'S NOT THAT.

(and yes all this is the middle guy, not the Kotaku guy)
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Kazu666 said:
    " It may be optional now...but if Natal increases sales by a significant amount, the chances of the next xbox using standard controllers is pretty slim IMO "
    Why?
    How would you control a first person shooter with Natal?
    Its impossible!

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PercyChuggs

Ok, I watched the episode, and Satterfield wasn't talking about all the games being motion controlled, but rather, the menus. He shares the same feelings that a lot of people do. Using a remote to navigate simple menus is easier and less annoying than flapping your arms around.

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
    guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By guerrilla_mason
    @PercyChuggs: Exactly. I didn't like what he was saying at first, but by the time they were done with the conversation, I completely agreed with him. It's just like the Wii.  I wish there was a way to find out the percentage of people that bought a Wii simply because it had motion control (and the percentage of those people that no longer play it because the NOVELTY wore off).  I think the menu nav would be pretty sweet, but monotonous after a while.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187
    @Cheapoz said:
    " @Kazu666 said:
    How many copies of Halo have they sold? How many copies of Gears of War have they sold?
    "
    Alright, so what happens when Halo: Reach and Gears of War 3 have Natal support for shooting your enemies?  I'm not saying they will, but you just answered your own complaint.  All Microsoft has to do is attach Natal support to one of its top-sellers, and it's game over for controllers.

I haven't watched the video yet, just read the comments here in the thread.  Frankly, I think Natal is an okay idea, but it's not something that should be forced down people's throats.  We play games as a way to ESCAPE from real life.  Why in the FUCK do I want to actually make the motions of using a steering wheel or pushing a pedal when I barely want to do that in real life more than I need to?

Developers and publishers keep talking about "immersion", but you don't have to do all this shit to immerse me.  Just make good games and it'll take care of it all.  That's it.  Very simple.  Otherwise, they really ARE taking a step backwards.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Jeust
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " E-mail him, tell him he's a moron. Post back the results here. "
    Result: *Silence*

@Kazu666 said:
    @PercyChuggs said:
    " Ok, I watched the episode, and Satterfield wasn't talking about all the games being motion controlled, but rather, the menus. He shares the same feelings that a lot of people do. Using a remote to navigate simple menus is easier and less annoying than flapping your arms around. "

The controler will never be replaced... not even the wii has scrapped the control pad. And it will be optional. It would be unreasonable to force people to frisk their hands to move thru xbox live, so that they could play games with... the game pad.

That won't happen.

All fears concerning Project Natal are unfounded, unless you fear the birth of Skynet... but it is unnavoidable. The end is nigh.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

i get annoyed when people like you watch a video on the internet and get all crazy about it. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I agree, it was a stupid statement.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By DonPixel
    @Cheapoz: Natal will fail, mark my words.
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cheapoz
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Cheapoz said:
    " @Kazu666 said:
    "
    Alright, so what happens when Halo: Reach and Gears of War 3 have Natal support for shooting your enemies?  I'm not saying they will, but you just answered your own complaint.  All Microsoft has to do is attach Natal support to one of its top-sellers, and it's game over for controllers.

I haven't watched the video yet, just read the comments here in the thread.  Frankly, I think Natal is an okay idea, but it's not something that should be forced down people's throats.  We play games as a way to ESCAPE from real life.  Why in the FUCK do I want to actually make the motions of using a steering wheel or pushing a pedal when I barely want to do that in real life more than I need to?

Developers and publishers keep talking about "immersion", but you don't have to do all this shit to immerse me.  Just make good games and it'll take care of it all.  That's it.  Very simple.  Otherwise, they really ARE taking a step backwards.
    "
    Step 1. Read the thread
    Step 2. Get a clue
    Step 3. Reply

You have completely missed exactly my point, that Natal will NEVER replace a controller.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By KingBroly

You don't need to buy Natal.  But I am 100% convinced that Microsoft will make a Natal necessary to play Halo game in the future.

tychoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tychoon

Imagine people who are sick, not very strong or living in a small apartment... Already because of that natal could never replace regular controllers. I know i would switch to PS3 momentarily if regular controllers were no longer supported, and i'm not sick, very weak or living in a small apartment. And I'm not that interested in shooters either.
    I think FPS-s could be played in some weird regular controller-natal combo but even that will be optional. I bet that most people like to lie on their sofa while gaming, microsoft isn't stupid enough not to realise that. I mean, they couldn't be... Right!??

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Radar
    @Kazu666 said:
    and completely kill off their entire hardcore following? Microsoft isn't stupid, they know their strengths and won't hinder them. They'll go down Nintendo's route (but making it required) and have multiple control schemes. They also wouldn't split the 360 playerbase because of the potential 30+ million 360 owners who may not buy the camera. I sure as hell won't be buying an overpriced camera just because there's a new Halo out that requires it and I doubt I'm the only one.

@DonPixel
    said:
    " @Cheapoz: Natal will fail, mark my words. "
    When they announce a permnanent SKU bundled with Natal it won't. Even if devs don't lach on. MS will poor money into 1st/2nd party development in till they do.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cheapoz

Natal will fail? MS doesn't fail, they spend and spend and spend and spend and spend and spend and spend.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Drebin_893

@Cheapoz said:

"Natal will fail? MS doesn't fail, they spend and spend and spend and spend and spend and spend and spend. "

Yup, hence why he didn't say the Xbox brand will fail, he just said a specific facet of it will fail. If you remember the first Xbox was a big failure, but the 360 was a big success. So while the Xbox brand didn't fail, the original Xbox did. It is entirely possible Natal will fail.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.