Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdom Hearts II

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 22, 2005

The third installment in the Kingdom Hearts franchise following after Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, known for its successful combination of Disney and Final Fantasy franchises into a believable plot.

Kingdom Hearts II was pretty awesome, huh?

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I had this crazy craving to go back a play it the other night and I have fallen in love all over again. It was fantastic such amazing design, the serious business story was a bit to trying to hard for me but the Disney side and the gameplay of the drive forms etc. was amazing! Really such an impact on my life what do the bombers think of Kingdom Hearts? 

Also it really has gone of the rails which is such a big shame. I mean I don't doubt the quality of the DS and PSP games but they seemed so into the story and missed all the charm that made the first two so amazing... I know a thousand people agree and are fighting for it, I just really hope for a next gen KHIII that takes it all back to the first two with new worlds and Sora, Donald and Goofy (because they are getting no love these days)  

Also I don't know what the situation is atm with consoles but I really hope for a 360 version as well as a ps3 version because I don't want to have to go buy a ps3 but god damn it I will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBfpK0mBRM      
    Also great throwback video for ya had a good time going back and watching it haha!

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By WonderboyCoz

yeah, the KH series is most likely in my top 10 games list. I was 12 or so when I played the first one all those years ago and I have just kept playing them, between me and my friend we have played them all.

KH2 is without a doubt the best in the series but Birth by Sleep is a close second with its even crrazier looking combat, cool story and great voice acting (Leonard Nimoy and Mark Hamill!) BBS is definitely worth playing and sets up alot of the universes back story and sets up the next chronological sequel which I believe is the 3DS game Dream Drop Distance(get it?)

anyway, back to KH2... it was just such an awesome improvement in every way from the first game and really started its own mythology where the sqaure/disney thing became a mere jumping off point for this crazy universe. just last week one of my other friends sort of asked us to explain the story a bit and we went off into a huge discussion for about an hour trying to get our heads around the craziness. I mean I defeated a boss as mickey mouse!

I strongly encourage lovers of final fantasy, disney or generally crazy japanese stuff to play the games of you havent already, truly a great series and now that 3 is pretty much confirmed to begin full development after versus 13 is released, it shouldnt be too many years until it happens!

oh, and how awesome is the goofy "death" scene in KH2, hilariously touching

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By landon

Yeah. KH2 was my favorite game for a while there.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I enjoyed 2 more than 1.  1 was fun but it felt odd.

PaulRevere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PaulRevere

KH and KH2 are really great games, I go back and play them all the time. I really didn't like the KH 358/2 Days at all though. The series recently has been a bit of a disappointment (although I haven't had the chance to play BBS). I just think the storyline is amazing and I can't wait to see where the series goes.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Akrid

KH2 seems fine on paper, but for whatever reason I lost interest about a 3rd of the way through.

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WonderboyCoz
    @nosiwohL:  if you have a psp, definitely give it a rental at least and since you seem to be into the story like me, BBS answers alot of cool stuff about certain plot points. i.e. Roxas, Xenmas
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

KH2 sucks compared to KH2:FM+, it's a far better game and all KH fans should check it out.  It puts KH2 to shame, and it's still Nomura's best work.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By TehFlan

Kingdom Hearts WAS pretty awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No shit, bud. I love KH2. My brother is a series devout, though I don't like it as much as him. 

The PS2 had some of the best titles ever. I turn mine on all the time atm.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Birth By Sleep is the best one  

Although KH1 still holds a special place in my heart 

Don't preach about going off rails, it's been on track since the day KH1 launched.
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Yeah the who Final Mix+ thing was lost on me, It was only a Japanese release right? They always had so much more amazing shit like the new drive form and a remake of CoM was an insane concept but I was never able to get a hold of it or had enough desire to go back and replay it for some added gameplay. However, I guess the Final Mix concept would translate well to DLC so that would be awesome! 

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WonderboyCoz
    @xaLieNxGrEyx:  yeah, I think its a little weird to say "off rails" since alot of those handheld games have been background information for the bigger titles but have some interesting gameplay twists like the card system in chain of memories, the chainging command deck system in BBS and even the weird panel system in 328/2 days which I havent really played that much.

I am really looking forward to 3D since I have a 3DS and since its the bridge into KH3(the "final chapter in the xehanort saga")
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

KH2 was okay but fuck that beginning.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
    Just a heads up, the official KH games are only those with Final Mixes.   

Kingdom Hearts 
    Kingdom Hearts II 
    Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep  

These are the ONLY official stories, and Nomura has said this as well.  Kingdom Hearts 3D is the next chapter and the prelude to the Kingdom Hearts III (which is being released once Nomura finished Versus XIII).  All the other shovelware KH games don't count.
    WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WonderboyCoz
    @KaosAngel:  I completely disregard everything you just said since all of the KH games, even coded have stories integrated into the whole overall universe and if you can play them, you should!
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By jacksukeru
    @KaosAngel:  Chain of Memories totally introduces and kills off characters that appear in later titles such as 2 and BBS, though.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel
    @WonderboyCoz: Nomura says the only ones that are important are the two Final Mixes for PS2, BBS, and the soon to be 3DS game.  I'll take Nomura's word, considering he's the creator and built it from scratch.
    WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WonderboyCoz

yeah, I agree they are the most imprtant but the other games are far from non-canon as they introduce many things that are integral to the plots of the "main" games and Nomura was involved as the director with every game and its story so take that as you will

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @RockmanBionics: CoM was part of FM+...and Nomura says KH2:FM+ is part of the official story, so it works out.
    Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Turtlemayor333
    @KaosAngel: Taking his word on this is like saying we should still be treating Miyamoto's Zelda timeline as law when it was flawed in like 98 when he said it, and simply laughable now.

Back to KH, in my opinion they've been "off the rails" with shoving Disney to the side for more generic anime garbage since Chain of Memories. And we all know anime is for jerks.
    WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WonderboyCoz
    @Turtlemayor333:  yeah, the disney stuff has been put a little to the side, but it was never really in the foreground after KH1.

I like that the disney stuff is this neat little backdrop that provides nostalgic worlds to explore(heres hoping for a Robin Hood or Jungle Book world in the future) but I also think that they have a cool, somewhat unique universe and wouldnt really call it generic anime, because yeah, anime is for jerks but kindom hearts is for jerks with heart!
    WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WonderboyCoz

oh, and on a more positive note, all time favourite KH shot right here!

Now that IS Epic Mickey! haha  

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

i still like the original the best

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheGreatGuero

You have to be kidding me. Look, I only played it for like 2 hours, but it was TERRIBLE. Mind-bogglingly bad. I hear it has a slow start and really picks up later, but man, I can't forgive how poor the game was in the beginning. It was embarrassing.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KaosAngel
    @TheGreatGuero: If you're talking about KH2's intro, no one pays any attention to the first few hours.  Give it another shot.  >.>
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Demyx
    @KaosAngel said:

" @TheGreatGuero: If you're talking about KH2's intro, no one pays any attention to the first few hours.  Give it another shot.  >.> "

whenever I thought about jumping back into the game, I remember that I'd have to do the beginning all over again.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Demyx said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @TheGreatGuero: If you're talking about KH2's intro, no one pays any attention to the first few hours.  Give it another shot.  >.> "
    whenever I thought about jumping back into the, I remember that I'd have to do the beginning all over again. "
    It's only 2-3 hours man, just run past it.   

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @KaosAngel said:
    Yeah, forget that, man. I'll pass. Seriously, if judging it based on the couple hours I played, I'd straight up say it was one of the worst games I played last gen. You can't go from being that bad of a game to miraculously being good later on. I don't believe it.
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

The Gummi Ships were awesome, I'll give you that.  Spent more time building those things than I did playing the rest of the game.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SlightConfuse

only played the main series neverd bothered with any of the off shoot expect for chain of memories.  

is birth by sleep worth playing?
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KaosAngel
    @slightconfuse: CoM and BBS are proper story!  CoM takes place right before KH2 and BBS is the prelude to the series.  Basically, if it's on a Sony console...it's the real deal. 
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SlightConfuse
    @KaosAngel: 

i beat CoS twice(both paths) 

will checnk out BBS in the near future
    NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NegativeCero

Dude, I can't even remember what the story in those games are, but I remember liking it. You know what's sad? I remember the pop intros to both games more than the games themselves.

It kind of sucks that they seem to be releasing spin-off games because I pretty much just want the third one.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Totally dude! Especially when you exploded into awesomness and started flying around and throwing keyblades all over the place. God that was fucking awesome the first time that happened to me.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#36  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Kingdom Hearts is a dumb, dumb, dumb series that almost serves as self-parody for the source material it draws from. But it's the kind of dumb I can get behind. The plot is nonsensical square melodrama out the ass, the fanservice is blatant on both ends of the spectrum, and there's far too much Nightmare Before Christmas than I, as a westerner, deserve (I'm fully aware of how stupid popular that movie is in Japan, which still baffles me). And then actual gameplay is ok and most of the Disney stuff is actually done pretty well. So there's that. It's very much a series I enjoy ironically.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
    @WonderboyCoz said:
    " yeah, the KH series is most likely in my top 10 games list. I was 12 or so when I played the first one all those years ago and I have just kept playing them, between me and my friend we have played them all.  KH2 is without a doubt the best in the series but Birth by Sleep is a close second with its even crrazier looking combat, cool story and great voice acting (Leonard Nimoy and Mark Hamill!) BBS is definitely worth playing and sets up alot of the universes back story and sets up the next chronological sequel which I believe is the 3DS game Dream Drop Distance(get it?)  anyway, back to KH2... it was just such an awesome improvement in every way from the first game and really started its own mythology where the sqaure/disney thing became a mere jumping off point for this crazy universe. just last week one of my other friends sort of asked us to explain the story a bit and we went off into a huge discussion for about an hour trying to get our heads around the craziness. I mean I defeated a boss as mickey mouse! I strongly encourage lovers of final fantasy, disney or generally crazy japanese stuff to play the games of you havent already, truly a great series and now that 3 is pretty much confirmed to begin full development after versus 13 is released, it shouldnt be too many years until it happens!  oh, and how awesome is the goofy "death" scene in KH2, hilariously touching "
    Ah I missed this the first time round, but this definitely sums up my opinions. I loved the death scene HAHA!

However, I did miss BBS I heard a lot of serious fag stuff going on but everyone here seems to rank it next to 1 and 2 and I bared the first half of CoM so you guys think I should pick up BBS? I think I just might!
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sameeeeam

I really did enjoy the first two KH games a lot.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MikkaQ

I was never really into it. Got a couple hours past that 1000 heartless battle, but the whole story was incomprehensible, mixed with annoying disney and square characters so I quit. The fighting was a lot of fun, but everything surrounding it was pretty bad. 

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " You have to be kidding me. Look, I only played it for like 2 hours, but it was TERRIBLE. Mind-bogglingly bad. I hear it has a slow start and really picks up later, but man, I can't forgive how poor the game was in the beginning. It was embarrassing. "
    See I don't disagree, but then I remember all the forms and magics and co-op moves and best of all the fantastic designs of each world (Lion King, Black and White and Nightmare Before Christmas) It just took over me at certain points. All the different keyblade stats and how they where based of the characters you just beat, how Goofy and Donald also got new staffs and shields. The more I think about the depth that it had the more the feeling of embarrassing goes away, it's something I hate to admit but my 15 year old anime loving self had so much fun...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.