Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

2 Hours IGN Live Stream Begins Now & Video Review After

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Finally - the first Candid Talk is incoming...

They're gonna answer questions and play the game for 2 hours, which will lead into their video review and eventually the written review. The broadcast's gonna air in a couple of minutes, so if you're as into Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning as I am, consider yourself informed. Hopefully they won't make the mistake and show the beginning of the game again and rather show something more meaty a couple of hours in. Somebody ask them to turn difficulty on hard. That's what I'm most curious about.

Here's the direct link, if the embed player doesn't work for you...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Grissefar

Cool, something to listen to while playing MW3. And I'm also calling it: 8.0.

But why would you care about hard difficulty? That seems like an insane thing to care about in this game.

Edit: Wow he used the word "hype" about the game. That's maybe an exaggeration.

Edit 2: Combat the best part of the game? Sure hope that's not true. Ha! Ha!

Edit 3: People like fetch quests. Ha! Ha! At least he's somewhat honest, unlike that shady Battlefield guy they had in.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Blind_Evil

@Grissefar said:

Cool, something to listen to while playing MW3. And I'm also calling it: 8.0. But why would you care about hard difficulty? That seems like an insane thing to care about in this game.

I'm gonna say 8.5. A 9 wouldn't shock me. But an 8.5 at the least. Media outlets generally don't get exclusive early review clearance without that kind of score.

Not that it matters. I don't care for Colin Moriarty as an editorial writer.

Who's that old guy with them? :x

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Grissefar said:

Cool, something to listen to while playing MW3. And I'm also calling it: 8.0. But why would you care about hard difficulty? That seems like an insane thing to care about in this game. Edit: Wow he used the word "hype" about the game. That's maybe an exaggeration. Edit2: Combat the best part of the game? Sure hope that's not true. Ha! Ha!

From the demo the game is super easy and does not require tactics or even paying attention in combat with good gear. You don't get to flex your combo muscles and there is little incentive to try imo.

Hard difficulty will actually determine if there really is any proper variety/depth in combat.

Also that's how Seppli usually plays rpgs, wich is why he cares.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zithe

Ugh, I know it might be a minor thing to some people, but watching him see where he needs to go, and having to run all the way around because the game doesn't let you jump down a ledge annoys the hell out of me.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

Dialogue choices: to accept a quest or not. Deep.

(just like in Skyrim)

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Watching the game in action is actually proving to be a surprisingly fun past-time; kept one eye peeled when it came to this game, though I reckon I will wait for reviews before making a purchase. What I still haven't really figured out, is just what this game is trying to be. The story-line reminds me of Dragon Age, the world of Skyrim; the conversation system of... Well, let's go with Skyrim, again; and the combat seems resembling of Fable more than anything else. I actually appreciate the visual style of the game. Don't get me wrong: I love all that gore-dark, but inbetween Dark Souls, Skyrim and The Witcher 2, there simply was no room left for colours. It's a nice change of pace.

That said; I feel like I'm punishing myself for doing questionable things to small children or something equally frowned upon while listening to these guys talk; it's torture. "You know; they uuh.. tried to.. carve.. uuh, out a very.. unique.. visual space.. you know, uhhh.. And uuh, that's where the inspiration, uh, came from; you know!" I half-expected Ryan to roll into the room, slapping folks with each side of his hands at the sheer bastardization of game-journalism and the english language. "UH UH UH UH UH", and that's how it's done.

Edit: "UHM" - I'm out of here.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blind_Evil

@Tennmuerti: There are, like other ones. Those are just the system-critical ones, so they're highlighted.

@Do_The_Manta_Ray said:

That said; I feel like I'm punishing myself for doing questionable things to small children or something equally frowned upon while listening to these guys talk; it's torture. "You know; they uuh.. tried to.. carve.. uuh, out a very.. unique.. visual space.. you know, uhhh.. And uuh, that's where the inspiration, uh, came from; you know!" I half-expected Ryan to roll into the room, slapping folks with each side of his hands at the sheer bastardization of game-journalism and the english language. "UH UH UH UH UH", and that's how it's done.

Edit: "UHM" - I'm out of here.

Colin and the PR guy definitely lack charisma, BUT! Watch.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Blind_Evil: I know. Those aren't choices. Just a list of exposition options that have 0 effect on anything.

This makes the entire dialogue system super bland. Take quest. Get exposition (if you even bother). Every conversation is like that.

Once in a blue moon there is a persuade check for more loot.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By handlas

Looks better than I thought. Perhaps I'll give the demo a 2nd try. Maybe 20 seconds of playing it the first time wasn't a fair way to judge it....just maybe.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Blind_Evil

@Tennmuerti: Some people take lore pretty seriously. Look at the Mass Effect book controversy this week, haha.

I'm sure there'll be a few important choices, but the choices I'm more interested in are the character-building variety. Skill points n shizz.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tennmuerti

For someone who reviewed the game he sure is getting plenty of shit wrong or forgetting it.

No different from GB crew I guess.

(wow he just keeps piling on the misinformation, i would never trust a review from someone like that)

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Seppli

The Moriarty guy doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer. Why the hell does he still have the basic Sorcercy ability equipped? Too wierd.

Game looks bloody amazing. Too bad he didn't play it on hard.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Grissefar
    @Tennmuerti said:

@Grissefar said:

Cool, something to listen to while playing MW3. And I'm also calling it: 8.0. But why would you care about hard difficulty? That seems like an insane thing to care about in this game. Edit: Wow he used the word "hype" about the game. That's maybe an exaggeration. Edit2: Combat the best part of the game? Sure hope that's not true. Ha! Ha!

From the demo the game is super easy and does not require tactics or even paying attention in combat with good gear. You don't get to flex your combo muscles and there is little incentive to try imo.

Hard difficulty will actually determine if there really is any proper variety/depth in combat.

Because with a combat system that clunky, turning up the difficulty would probably just make the game more tedious and flexing combo muscles is probably still not encouraged.

And wow that old guy really doesn't have interesting stuff to say. "So um.. there's different races, like elves an humans so um... lot of variety there, definately. And um... there's weapons like swords and daggers and um.. you can get effects such as fire so really a lot of variety there."
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By project343

I think the most shocking aspect of this is... Since when has Youtube had livestreaming? :O

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By Justin258

@Zithe said:

Ugh, I know it might be a minor thing to some people, but watching him see where he needs to go, and having to run all the way around because the game doesn't let you jump down a ledge annoys the hell out of me.

That annoyed me in the demo as well. No jump button? Preposterous! Such a thing should be standard in pretty much any game.

Could you imagine Gran Turismo with a jump button?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Seppli

@Grissefar said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Grissefar said:

Because with a combat system that clunky, turning up the difficulty would probably just make the game more tedious and flexing combo muscles is probably still not encouraged. And wow that old guy really doesn't have interesting stuff to say. "So um.. there's different races, like elves an humans so um... lot of variety there, definately. And um... there's weapons like swords and daggers and um.. you can get effects such as fire so really a lot of variety there."

What exactly is clunky about the combat system? It ain't as forgiving as Soul Calibur, but you can cancel out of pretty much anything, as long as you don't mash like a madman. The seamless 2-weapon system with the multitiered active ability system together with the active evasion and timing based parry system allows for a shit-tonne of fun playstyles regardless of what combination of talent builds and weapons you go for. Being able to easily slot 8 consumables on a radial menu and either use 'em on the fly with the d-pad or via mutator and L-stick while auto-pausing the game is also way convenient and functional.

I still wonder how people can praise the flashy, but in many ways cumbersome, UI of Skyrim - and turn around and shit on KoA:R's UI, which ain't pretty, but certainly more functional with its junk button and radial menu. The favorites list in Skyrim is great, but gets crowded and clunky quite quickly. Everything else is more flash than functionality.

Or does KoA:R's control scheme using mutators prove to be too much of a challenge to pick-up in a 45min demo? Likely so.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Seppli

These guys are worse at the game than I was after spending 2 hours with the demo. And seem to be less informed too. I am always quite surprised when I see such things. They've yet to do a proper block for example. That's just way wierd.

Especially as a Warrior build with tonnes of +Block gear on. Oh boy - shallow player for a reviewer is irksome.

I say, any reviewer worth his salt should have spent a lot of time playing a MMORPG seriously, being ballsdeep into theorycrafting. How else would you ever understand gamedesign basics, since all of it is generally applicable to pretty much every genre?

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Grissefar
    @Seppli said:

@Grissefar said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Grissefar said:

Because with a combat system that clunky, turning up the difficulty would probably just make the game more tedious and flexing combo muscles is probably still not encouraged. And wow that old guy really doesn't have interesting stuff to say. "So um.. there's different races, like elves an humans so um... lot of variety there, definately. And um... there's weapons like swords and daggers and um.. you can get effects such as fire so really a lot of variety there."

What exactly is clunky about the combat system? It ain't as forgiving as Soul Calibur, but you can cancel out of pretty much anything, as long as you don't mash like a madman. The seamless 2-weapon system with the multitiered active ability system together with the active evasion and timing based parry system allows for a shit-tonne of fun playstyles regardless of what combination of talent builds and weapons you go for. Being able to easily slot 8 consumables on a radial menu and either use 'em on the fly with the d-pad or via mutator and L-stick while auto-pausing the game is also way convenient and functional.

I still wonder how people can praise the flashy, but in many ways cumbersome, UI of Skyrim - and turn around and shit on KoA:R's UI, which ain't pretty, but certainly more functional with its junk button and radial menu. The favorites list in Skyrim is great, but gets crowded and clunky quite quickly. Everything else is more flash than functionality.

Or does KoA:R's control scheme using mutators prove to be too much of a challenge to pick-up in a 45min demo? Likely so.

You're praising the combat like it's Ninja Gaiden and it's like you take the game more seriously than anybody else, developer or otherwise.
    sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By sfighter21

Are you serious!!? IGN always puts the negatives when showing the final score, but not this time?? Because the producer of the game is there, maybe?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mordukai

I would watch it save for my complete distain for the format IGN uses for their video reviews. It's horrible. Seems more a useless way of over complicating a review system. To many numbers.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seppli

@Grissefar said:

@Seppli said:

@Grissefar said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Grissefar said:

You're praising the combat like it's Ninja Gaiden and it's like you take the game more seriously than anybody else, developer or otherwise.

I take every game that seriously. I care about my gameplay. I've got the responsibility of applying 'the finishing touch' to their work of art. I better damn well take that seriously.

The only praise I level here is, that the combat ain 'that' clunky as you say it is, because it isn't, unless you're doing it wrong.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Grissefar
    @Seppli said:

@Grissefar said:

@Seppli said:

@Grissefar said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@Grissefar said:

I take every game that seriously. I care about my gameplay. I've got the responsibility of applying 'the finishing touch' to their work of art. I better damn well take that seriously.

The only praise I level here is, that the combat ain 'that' clunky as you say it is, because it isn't, unless you're doing it wrong.

That's cool but in that case it's just sad that very few games reward that kind of enshusiasm and especially not Armalur. Like many games today, it is made to please people with Jeff's level of enthusiasm, which is to say not very enthusiastic. People who are more concerned about getting it over with, with achievements, who will happily do a fetch quest as long as he the NPC tells him he's cool, who will fast travel at every possibility, who will never play the game twice, who will play Dead Space on easy, who will never touch Dark Souls, who will never play a Japanese game, who doesn't give a shit if the combat is responsive enough or the level design is tight or the game is well paced as long as they can feel like God, lying down while tweeting out unimportant stuff. You get what I mean and Jeff is a cool bro, but many games today are focusted to hell and so any sort of vision is lost because Grandma should be able to pick it up and play. What I'm trying to say is that many games have a short development cycle, especially sequels published by EA, Capcom, Namco, Ubisoft etc. and so any work of art the game might have been with a proper dev time is lost because the game had 11 months of development and sereval studios worked on it. I guess what I'm saying is that the bad thing about your enshusiasm is that you might get disappointed but that if you can manage that, it's probably totally cool.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seppli

@Grissefar:

Having been in developement for 6 years, 3 of those in earnest, with lots of ups and downs, this definitely is not a 'yearly sequel'. It's a survivor of development hell and an original through and through.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Subjugation

IGN's final verdict:

RatingDescription
    out of 10Click here for ratings guide
    8.5Presentation
    Amalur totes an impressive story penned by one of the great fantasy authors of our time, and it takes place in a fantastic fictional world. It’s complex and hard to follow at times, though.
    8.0Graphics
    Beautiful environments and solid animations are marred by fairly shoddy-looking character models. I wish lip-syncing was more on-point during dialogue.
    8.0Sound
    Music is sparse, but the voice-acting is well-executed and really adds a great deal to the story. Characters have a lot to say, and that’s a good thing.
    9.5Gameplay
    The bread and butter of the game. Reckoning sets the bar very high for other games moving forward, and is an absolute pleasure to play.
    9.5Lasting Appeal
    I hope you have a hell of a lot of time on your hands, because Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning will require all of it for the foreseeable future.
    OVERALL
    Amazing
    (out of 10)
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Marz

9 is pretty high praise. i usually don't follow IGN reviews but seems like a good indication of what to expect from the press.

jtman54179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By jtman54179

@Seppli said:

The Moriarty guy doesn't seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer. Why the hell does he still have the basic Sorcercy ability equipped? Too wierd.

By putting one point in to sorcery you can unlock a blink ability, which allows you to teleport instead of dodge. Rogues can later attach poison damage to it and warriors can add fire I think

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Seppli

@jtman54179 said:

@Seppli said:

By putting one point in to sorcery you can unlock a blink ability, which allows you to teleport instead of dodge. Rogues can later attach poison damage to it and warriors can add fire I think

Still doesn't explain why he'd keep an 1 in 5 points sorcery ability slotted rather than a might or finesse ability. Makes no sense whatsoever.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By cstrang

@Seppli said:

@jtman54179 said:

@Seppli said:

Still doesn't explain why he'd keep an 1 in 5 points sorcery ability slotted rather than a might or finesse ability. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Get over it. Maybe he was playing the game, not necessarily trying to optimize his character.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.