Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Kingdom of Amalur. What is known so far.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

With Skyrim's release getting ever closer, I have set my eyes on a different RPG. Every time I see more vids and read more info on this game I get more impressed. So I just thought I will list what I have learned about this game so far in hopes people here will be interested as well. If I forgot any thing let me know and I will add it.

• Traveling from one end of the map to the other could possibly take 50+ hours.
    • Open world with 5 distinct regions.
    • The game will have a Day/Night cycle with NPCs going about their daily business according to the time of day.
    • The World of Amalur already has a history going back 10,000 years.
    • 4 playable races to choose from.
    • Will feature an open class progression system which will allow players to shape their character as they see fit.
    • There will be 3 main class trees with 22 abilities per tree and the player will be able to assign ability points as they see fit.
    • According to which abilities you pick the game will unlock different "destinies" which will give you certain ability spacial to that destiny. So far there have 14 different known destinies though this number might increase once gamers get their hands on it.
    • Over 280 armor sets.
    • Crafting of armor and weapons is featured.
    • You will be able to name your crafts.
    • Guards will help you kill monsters if they are close enough.
    • Quests can also be given by travelers you meet on the road and not just in town.
    • Some quests will have multiple ways to finish them.
    • Combat will a Hack N' Slash based with the accessional God of War style QTE. However, strategy will play a big part of the combat.
    • The game features only a single player campaign story.
    • The game's story will start on a personal level but will become "epic" as the game progresses.
    • The game will feature the most coolest doors in a video game...EVER!
    • All the dungeons are hand crafted with unique art style, encounters and loot.
    • Equipment usage will not be tied according to a certain stat but instead be tied to the number of points on a certain skill tree. For example: A certain magic staff will require you to have an X-number of points in your sorcery tree for you to able to use it.

While I won't be able to sway you away from Skyrim, and rightfully so, I hope I generated enough interest for you to be interested in what is shaping up to be a really awesome game. You can check more in depth info by visiting the official web site.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'm disappointed there's no first person view mode, that really hurts the immersion, in my opinion. It also has a terribly generic name that's very forgettable.. Not good from a marketing stand point at all

Other than that, the game looks pretty cool, I've had my eye on it for a while. Hopefully it can live up to the already huge expectations.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mordukai

@WinterSnowblind: imo every game has generic name. But I will agree that the KoA could have been stricken off and have just Reckoning. That has much more...omph...to it.

The game does have huge expectations. If 38 studios can pull it off then they will cement their name with the big boys of RPG.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

I'll go point by point, in step with yours: 

• So either slow travel system / bland terrain / false boast (games boasting size is given too much credit then it's really due, see JC2, Daggerfall as some nice examples)
    • ok
    • so like most decent RPG's these days, ok
    • kind of incosequential imo, again most such game have a decent background story, what matter is how it will be conveyed and/or affect the actual game
    • k
    • most RPG's do
    • as above, standard stuff
    • destinies are interesting in concept but in practice seem like simple bonuses/perks that unlock depending on your overall skill choices, they could be cool with significant unique effects/abilities tho
    • 280 armor sets. but how many unique armor set models?
    • k
    • that's actually a cool little thing
    • again nothing really noteworthy, that's what guards tend to do these days
    • mobile quest givers don't seem that special
    • will depend on implementation, and could be cool, but i'm guessing that actual multiple finishes are nothing to deep, nice to have tho
    • good combat is the one big thing I'm looking forward to in this game
    • k
    • again, this is promised in like every rpg evah
    • cool doors huh? how cool?
    • good to know
    • so equipment usage is tied to the stat of your progression within a skill tree, not that different
    The interesting thing is that I'm actually looking forward to this game a lot and am very interested in how it turns out. I'm a sucker for a good RPG.
    But really these aren't features to brag about, if one's intent is to sway people. They look more like a list of standard shit in RPGs for the most part. Although there are some interesting and nice features.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mordukai

@Tennmuerti: I wasn't trying to brag but I thought to have some exposure to game that's being kinda ignored due to Skyrim. Now nothing against Skyrim but frankly it doesn't interest me as much as this game. I haven't played Skyrim but to me it seems the same thing as before. I will play it at some point but as it stands now I just don't really care about it. I was kinda burnt by Oblivion so I'll just see where it goes.

I don't know if you are aware it but R. A. Salvatore created the game's lore and he also outlined the skeleton for the main story. Being a Salvatore fan I am extremely excited with the premise that rpg will finally have a good story because frankly I think most RPG's have a crappy storyline. Personally I think that there hasn't been a good story in an rpg since Planescape: Torment.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chop

The only thing that's putting me off is the way I keep seeing the combat paired with the words "God of War". I hate God of War D:

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Games looks and sound awesome so far.
    Will surely buy it and Skyrim too.
    What's better then 1 rpg? More then 1 rpg!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Mordukai
    Well it's only coming out next year and Skyrim is out soonish, so obviously theres a lot of hype for Skyrim right now.
    Personally I'm not too excited for Skyrim either as someone who has played both Morrowind and Oblivion before it, it just looks like more of the same with some further dumbing down.
    But honestly while Kingdom of Amalur looks like a very solid and will probably be a good Action RPG, there is also little to set it apart and make unique outside of the combat.
    Disclaimer: I will buy and play both anyway :)

I'm very well aware of R. A. Salvatore creating the game lore. I just don't care for him as a writer for one. Secondly writing for a game has been time and time again proven to be different then say a book. Thirdly his background story of the world might not matter 2 shits in the actual game itself beyond the usual background story of most RPG out there, it all depends on HOW the game designers actually managed to work it into the game world, make it relevant, and easily absorbable.

We will see about the story is all i can honestly say.
    If it turns out to be a notch above the avarage stuff we get, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    But not gonna hold my breath.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By MeierTheRed

Game does look more impressive for each video i see of it. I don't recall, but is there any form of online component in this game?

Avatar image for happy_gentle_man
    Happy_Gentle_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Happy_Gentle_Man

I have not heard of this game, it sounds a lot like Kingdom Under Fire: Doom Circle, which was very disappoitning so I don't expect big things.

Edit: Kingdom under Fire: Circle of Doom lol not Doom Circle

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By SLUSHiNaToR

@Tennmuerti: He wasn't bragging about it... lol. He was just listing the points that are known about the game that can make possibly an awesome rpg

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By valrog

@Mordukai said:

• Traveling from one end of the map to the other could possibly take 50+ hours.

Somehow, I very much doubt that.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By mosdl

From the videos I've seen, it seems the protagonist is silent?

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By trylks

@Happy_Gentle_Man: To me it looks more like fable, more specifically what fable ii should have been.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Games looks and sound awesome so far. Will surely buy it and Skyrim too. What's better then 1 rpg? More then 1 rpg!
    No you're doing it wrong. You have to pick one and actively hate the other game and anyone who express positive opinion about it.
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolf_blitzer85
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    @wolf_blitzer85
    Ahh that's better!
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolf_blitzer85:  <3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.