Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Why Is No One Talking About The Limited Character Creation?

• 78 results
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#51  Edited By project343

@Storms: I'll be honest. I think I'd rather go for fewer options. While I'm normally big on character creation in other RPGs, something about this game's art style does not lend itself well to the absurd outcomes that this game allows for. I'd rather see them do the Fable thing: give me a stock male or female character, and allow me to customize them as I go.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Storms
    @project343 said:

@Storms: I'll be honest. I think I'd rather go for fewer options. While I'm normally big on character creation in other RPGs, something about this game's art style does not lend itself well to the absurd outcomes that this game allows for. I'd rather see them do the Fable thing: give me a stock male or female character, and allow me to customize them as I go.

Interesting idea for this game. Of course, there are three main ways a dev can go.  

1. Give you a character to play, like Cloud Strife or Batman. 
    2. Give you a blank slate and let you customise later. Like Fable.
    3. Let you create a character. 

Maybe the Fable system would have worked better and stuck the finger a little harder in Molyneux's eye. Fact is, they went with option 3 (my favorite option), and the demo makes it look lazy and almost a decade out of date.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By crusader8463

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Cause a Character creator does not make or break a game. They are not boasting that kinda thing. Not to mention chances are soon you'll just have your face hidden with a mask or helm.

Speak for yourself, because it does break a game for some people. When I play an RPG I have to know that the guy I made is my guy and that I feel like he/she looks awesome every time I spin my camera around and look at them or it complexity breaks the game for me and makes it impossible to get into; it's one of the main reasons I could not gel with Skyrim. Thankfully I was able to make a lady in the the demo that I liked the look of, but I doubt I will be making too many alts in that game as I really dislike most of what I saw in that character maker.

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By christ0phe

@Storms said:

all that comes down to preference.

You said it best yourself, it all comes down to preference. A lot of people couldn't care less about deep character creation.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By jakob187

If the developers want to offer a limited character creator in order to make a massive game with less bugs, then I'm all fucking for it.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Storms
    @christ0phe said:

@Storms said:

all that comes down to preference.

You said it best yourself, it all comes down to preference. A lot of people couldn't care less about deep character creation.

I couldn't care less about gun variety in shooters, along with a "lot of people". Pretty sure that wouldn't excuse the next CoD game having only two guns. 
    Neeshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Neeshka

Character customization doesn't affect the core gameplay and it's something the majority of gamers don't really care too much about. It makes more sense to discuss problems with the combat in this game rather than something that you spend 1% of the actual game doing.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By ComradeKhan
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

Cause a Character creator does not make or break a game. They are not boasting that kinda thing. Not to mention chances are soon you'll just have your face hidden with a mask or helm. 

Whether it makes or breaks the games for you is just your opinion. It definitely could break the game for someone else (being a roleplaying game about becoming who you want to be, some people want to be able to design what they look like.) The OP already said it doesn't break the game for him, but his argument is still valid - why does a game that prides itself on being the master of your own fate not even let you design you own face?...There is an option to make your helmet invisible so your face won't be hidden, that option is there because some people like to see their characters face.
    usgrovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By usgrovers

Reckoning *does* have a WoW-style "hide helmet" option, if I recall correctly.

Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Divina_Rex

I NEVER mess around with sliders anyway so I couldn't care less about limited customization.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By nights

I find it baffling that people are staunchly against robust character creators. "I prefer less options!" "I don't like spending time creating my character!" "My character always turns out ugly!" Awesome, why not find a middle ground? If you want to jump right into the game with a preset face, go for it. No one is sayingyou should be forced to fiddle around with sliders for an hour. I don't see why they couldn't have left the preset selection the way it is and have a more advanced system for those of us who want to create a more personalized character. As others have mentioned, you can toggle helmets on/off. Game breaker? For most, probably not, but it certainly helps me feel more invested in my character. You know, role playing? Crazy concept, I know.

Variety is the spice of life.

Avatar image for dragonstillborn
    dragonstillborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By dragonstillborn
    @HumanoidTyphoon

I dunno if it's being against character creators.  It just never made much of a difference to me what my character looked like.  Most of the time you're seeing the back of a head or helmet anyway.  That said, I know some people *really* get into their roles.  It makes sense that any game advertising themselves as role-playing should probably have a good character creator.
    sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By sparklykiss

I was fine with the limits because I enjoyed the other options that they had. I don't get to slap a septum on most of my characters and the hair options and colors weren't all rubbish/only had two that I liked. The only detail I would have liked was to pick and choose the colors for piercings and the like. Overall, I think it's fine, though, and for a title such as Kingdoms of Amalur, I just wanted in on the demo. I care a bit more when it feels like my character is making a bigger impact and has a dedicated voice (like in Mass Effect.). That's nearly the only time I fix every single little detail. Or if I'm going to be spending days of time with said character, like in Skyrim.

Although I would not complain for even more freedom. There are those days when all I do is fiddle with customizing something... >.>

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By fini_fly

I thought there was just enough to let me make a character the way I wanted, without going through a myriad of sliders changing minute details that I'll never see. Having said that, I understand both sides of the argument. There could have been an advanced option set for people who want to make their character look like their favourite celebrity. And there are just enough pre-sets that you can dive right into the action. Either way, I think the option to hide your helmet is a nifty little feature that I will most likely be experimenting with.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Storms said:

I've scoured the internets for some assurance that the character creation we saw in the demo isn't the final version. Sadly, all I see is people trying to justify the fact that we cannot adjust the faces of our characters, AT ALL. "Oh, I don't like designing characters anyway". What would such fanboys say if they removed the Sky from the game -- "Oh, I don't look up much anyway"?

So you have some weird obsession with mega in depth character creators that no one else gives a shit about and you somehow think that's the same as removing the sky?

You know why no one's talking about it? Because no one gives a shit.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Storms
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Storms said:

I've scoured the internets for some assurance that the character creation we saw in the demo isn't the final version. Sadly, all I see is people trying to justify the fact that we cannot adjust the faces of our characters, AT ALL. "Oh, I don't like designing characters anyway". What would such fanboys say if they removed the Sky from the game -- "Oh, I don't look up much anyway"?

So you have some weird obsession with mega in depth character creators that no one else gives a shit about and you somehow think that's the same as removing the sky?

So you have some weird hostility against people who expect a 2012 game to exceed standards from 1999?  

Obviously it has nothing to do with "mega in depth" -- I was just asking for "average".
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Storms said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Storms said:

So you have some weird hostility against people who expect a 2012 game to exceed standards from 1999? Obviously it has nothing to do with "mega in depth" -- I was just asking for "average".

Well lucky for you it's above average. Thread closed I guess.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Storms
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Storms said:

@Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Storms said:

So you have some weird hostility against people who expect a 2012 game to exceed standards from 1999? Obviously it has nothing to do with "mega in depth" -- I was just asking for "average".

Well lucky for you it's above average. Thread closed I guess.

Above average? Lol. No. 

I played a demo of a budget game title I assume is for kids, called 'Faerie'. That game had more depth in character creation than my beloved Amalur. That's way below average.
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Storms said:

Above average? Lol. No. I played a demo of a budget game title I assume is for kids, called 'Faerie'. That game had more depth in character creation than my beloved Amalur. That's way below average.

Strange that you're the only one going crazy over it eh? I wonder why that is.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Storms
    @HumanoidTyphoon said:

I find it baffling that people are staunchly against robust character creators. "I prefer less options!" 

A small number of people I've seen on the internet really don't like options. I've heard a handful of complaints in regards to other games such as "too big", "too open" and "too many options". 

But I can only explain the majority of people expressing that mentality about this feature as simply wanting to defend this game. Sure, some of them say they don't like the game, but I still don't have another explanation. Most people enjoy options.
    Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Storms
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:

@Storms said:

Above average? Lol. No. I played a demo of a budget game title I assume is for kids, called 'Faerie'. That game had more depth in character creation than my beloved Amalur. That's way below average.

Strange that you're the only one going crazy over it eh? I wonder why that is.

Nice non-response. "Well, I can't argue the fact that it's a below average character creator, so I'll call you crazy". 

Yeah, so crazy over it that I'm playing the game and enjoying it. What is it with you and hyperbole? 

Anyway, this thread revealed a good number of same-minded individuals and even revealed another thread on the same topic. Even if I were alone, I'd still be right -- but I'm not alone, so you can entirely abandon that line of attack, if you like. Maybe try to justify your own claims instead?
    Neeshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Neeshka

I think you're missing the point. Character customizability is a nice feature. But it's just a flavor thing, an embellishment. And for an action oriented RPG it's not really something that affects the core gameplay that much. Typically for most gamers; the actual gameplay or combat mechanics is what's important.

It's a lot like buying a book and then instead of analyzing and criticizing the story; you start bemoaning problems that you perceive with the cover art or the author's prologue.

Gringus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Gringus

@TooWalrus said:

If I can't make my character look exactly like Terry O'Quinn, I'm gonna be very disappointed.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

OMFG YOU ARE MY HERO.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Neeshka said:

I think you're missing the point. Character customizability is a nice feature. But it's just a flavor thing, an embellishment. And for an action oriented RPG it's not really something that affects the core gameplay that much. Typically for most gamers; the actual gameplay or combat mechanics is what's important.

It's a lot like buying a book and then instead of analyzing and criticizing the story; you start bemoaning problems that you perceive with the cover art or the author's prologue.

Problem is that Reckonign focuses on your characters face in conversation all the time and it is also forcing the helmet off during those.
    So you are actually seeing your dudes face all the time throughout the game.
    Now considering that many NPCs use the exact same character tool for their appearance you also start seeing a lack in their face variety and even sometimes dudes wierdly looking like you.
    Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
    SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Having an indepth char creation isn't too important, Honestly it kinda shouldn't take more then ten minutes to make your guys face.  Although i sorta have a double standard with this sorta thing, I do like adjusting a character's height. But hey, as long as the game is fun it's fine.

tyashki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#76  Edited By tyashki

It doesn't have to be indepth as long as the result looks cool. I'm all for options, but the only times I have ever made anything cool looking in a skyrim-like system is when I picked a preset, changed the gender and moved like 2 sliders. Usually the hair.

StitchJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By StitchJones

Limited options is not a big deal, overall who cares if you can create 1000 eyebrows, 2000 noses, and 14000 cheek and skin combinations. When it comes down to it, simple works. I would safely bet that 80% of the players out there just pick a pre-set and go with it. It's the people who review a game that mention it and make us think about it. Who cares! Enjoy the game :-)

enthalpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#78  Edited By enthalpy

I think that the devs probably didn't have a previous custom-built character creator code in house (could be wrong, couldn't find much on this on the internets) to iterate against and that they either bolted in middleware or decided that their development resources (time/money) was more effectively spent doing other things. I'm not saying that those things are good or bad, but that this could have been a resource scarcity issue that, if it's a big enough deal to enough people, they'll address in future projects. :) Also, if this was fresh, now they have something to iterate on.

Personally, I don't think it's a huge deal, but can appreciate that people find more immersion when they have better tools. I wonder if this would have been as big of an issue (as with a few more items) if it hadn't released reasonably close to Skyrim.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.