Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

MotherFu....! I'm this close to quitting a game that I enjoy.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Stahlbrand

So I'm enjoying the game.  Trying to at least.  Love the setting, enjoy the concept, even if the game seems uncertain when truth or doubt should mean "You're not telling me everything and I need you to spill it".

But here I am in the first Vice case, chasing a delivery truck, and I'm just about to put the disc back in the box and call it.  When I turn my system back on (if I do) I will be trying this stupid chase for the fifth time. 
    - first try: delivery truck humped up on a car, I dart around to cut him off, pedestrian dive under my wheels and the truck magically accelerates away , I reload.
    - second try: end up losing truck on minimap due to terrible convertible handling, but catch up to a bunch of cop cars - game freezes as it looks like its about to go into a cutscene - hard freeze, have to turn of console.
    - third try: car refuses to turn at speed on two  corners in a row, I get trapped in a gas station with a cement railing in my way - truck escapes.
    - forth try: struck by debris, car barrels straight through a "T" intersection and crashes, suspect escaped - GAME FREEZES on message.

This is not the first car chase I've had to do more than twice for crashes.  Am I alone with these problems, or did this game sneak through cert?

All this after the last homicide case with the stupid climbing/maze/balance beam BS.  Really killing my flow with the game.

360, not installed.  Console gives me no troubles with other games.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Vinny_Says

Just skip the action parts after failing 3 times. As for the freezing, I dunno I didn't have that issue yet...

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By papercut

I played installed and had no problem.

rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By rosebud04
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    Just skip the action parts after failing 3 times. As for the freezing, I dunno I didn't have that issue yet...
    same,  bad luck i guess 
    Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Stahlbrand

Ah, I turned that option off at the beginning.  I'll consider that.

Its all the loading and waiting that really makes trying this four times in a row crazy frustrating.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

That just seems like a really, really obnoxious stream of unlucky coincidences. Sorry to hear it. 

JusticeCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By JusticeCat

I think I got that one first go. Though I've finished the game and after putting it down for a while wanted to play some last night, froze twice about 5-10 minutes in each, so gave up. 360 installed.

dunderri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By dunderri

That does sound like tons of bad luck. I crashed into plenty of things during the car chases, but the car never got away.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BraveToaster

Either it's bad luck or you're not good at driving.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah like people said above just skip those sections, there's no shame in it. It's a solo experience so who gives a shit how you get through it as long as you enjoyed it.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MiniPato

The only time I skipped an action sequence was when I was tailing a lady during the boxing match case. It was one of those old stealth missions of yore where being spotted meant game over. Personally I enjoy the car chases, but not tailing of any sort.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Getz

The game did freeze on me twice, definitely not fun. I didn't have it freeze on me like you described though. Also, TAP BRAKE, THEN HOLD E-BRAKE. The cornering is stupid simple if you just do this. The driving in this game is arcadey as hell; you can make a 90 degree turn at full speed once you get the hang of it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By xyzygy

I played installed, with absolutely ZERO glitches at ALL during my 25 hours of playtime. This is technically such a huge improvement and it has set the standard technically for open world games. The game was flawless. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By CL60
    @xyzygy said:
    I played installed, with absolutely ZERO glitches at ALL during my 25 hours of playtime. This is technically such a huge improvement and it has set the standard technically for open world games. The game was flawless. 
    Same here for the most part, only had one glitch, where I was chasing a guy and crashed into a pole, and went flying 50 feet backwards off a cliff.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By JasonR86
    @Stahlbrand

You don't have to catch the NPCs in the car chases.  Just stay close and they will crash as the whole thing is scripted.  Have you tried just staying close and driving safely?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel

At least the game offers the option of skipping those bits.  I burned out completely on Vice City years ago when I consistently failed on a major story mission for a week.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dylabaloo

I installed only the first disc but had absolutely no problems with the game, looks like you got unlucky. Maybe it could do with the generation of xbox your playing with.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By HydraHam
    @blacklabeldomm said:
    This, 0 freezing problems here (ps3 version).

However i don't understand why everyone is having trouble with the action scenes, on my 2nd playthrough and i have yet to hit a ped or fail an action scene, those interrogation answers however.. those.. GRR
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By Yanngc33

Have you tried RB (hand break) also, is the disc scratched?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By McGhee

The bigger problem with this game is that during the questioning, there often time multiple correct answers, but the game wants a specific one. And there's often absolutely no reason to pick one piece of evidence over another.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By Castiel

Just install it.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Quipido
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

The bigger problem with this game is that during the questioning, there often time multiple correct answers, but the game wants a specific one. And there's often absolutely no reason to pick one piece of evidence over another.

This is not true at all. I am at the beggining of arson and if you listen carefully, there is allways ONE correct answer. When you are supposed to use LIE option, there is allways clearly said ahat exactly you need to proove. There might be some similar evidence, but never directly proving what you need.

EDIT: to stay on topic, driving really is pretty busted, but it never made me restart. Once I ended up in a cutscene where Phelps points his gun on the driver, while his car was on top of the suspect's car - it was pretty hilarious. 
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By McGhee
    @Quipido: Oh really? I'm looking at your post and pushing the SQUARE button for "doubt" right now.
    Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Quipido
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac: lol - I admit the interogation system is a little gamey... when I originally started the game, I was lost in it, after few hours of game I got how exactly the game mechanics work and since then I solve every case with 90% of answers right. Play some more and you will crack it. Also, great advice is to pay extra attention of what Phelps says after you push the LIE button - there is said what exactly you need to proove. You can allways back up and select DOUBT after this.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By Cincaid

No idea what HD the OP is running on, but I don't understand why people won't install their games to begin with. It reduces loading times, random bugs, and probably a lot of the freezing during the action parts. 

I just completed the case you're talking about (only 4 stars, but at least on my first try), and so far I've had zero glitches or freezing when playing through the game. And yes, I have it installed.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PillClinton
    @Stahlbrand said:
     All this after the last homicide case with the stupid climbing/maze/balance beam BS.  Really killing my flow with the game.  
    Maybe because it's really not as great of a game as we've been led to believe?
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By McGhee
    @Quipido said:
    Also, great advice is to pay extra attention of what Phelps says after you push the LIE button - there is said what exactly you need to proove. You can allways back up and select DOUBT after this.
    Thanks, I'll check this out. :)
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EVO
    @Quipido said:

This is not true at all. I am at the beggining of arson and if you listen carefully, there is allways ONE correct answer.
    False.  

In The Fallen Idol case, when you accuse Hopgood of his ties to Bishop, you can use both the chloral hydrate and empty film canister as evidence. I'm sure there's tons of other instances like this.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PillClinton
    @EVO said:
    @Quipido said:

This is not true at all. I am at the beggining of arson and if you listen carefully, there is allways ONE correct answer.
    False.   In The Fallen Idol case, when you accuse Hopgood of his ties to Bishop, you can use both the chloral hydrate and empty film canister as evidence. I'm sure there's tons of other instances like this.
    Oh, there most certainly are.  One that springs to mind is that girl in the hospital.  You can choose like 4 different things for one of them.  
    Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Quipido
    @EVO
    @100_Hertz

OK, didn't know that.

Also, you should use the SPOILER TAG for stuff like that.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PillClinton
    @Quipido: True, but my example is in like the first two hours of the game.  
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By haggis
    @Quipido said:
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac: lol - I admit the interogation system is a little gamey... when I originally started the game, I was lost in it, after few hours of game I got how exactly the game mechanics work and since then I solve every case with 90% of answers right. Play some more and you will crack it. Also, great advice is to pay extra attention of what Phelps says after you push the LIE button - there is said what exactly you need to proove. You can allways back up and select DOUBT after this.
    I think this is the one thing many people don't seem to realize, that you can accuse suspects of lying, then back out. Otherwise, it's impossible to know what evidence you need. If you're paying attention to the evidence you collect, you'll have an idea if someone is lying or not. But you've got to make the accusation in order to know what evidence to select. I'm not sure this setup works best, but once you become accustomed to it, it makes things a lot easier.
    Saltank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Saltank

I did this first time. You lack discipline.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EVO
    @haggis said:
    @Quipido said:
    I think this is the one thing many people don't seem to realize, that you can accuse suspects of lying, then back out. Otherwise, it's impossible to know what evidence you need.
    This is perhaps my biggest gripe with the game. The freedom to back out of that but not the other options.
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By haggis
    @EVO said:
    @haggis said:
    @Quipido said:
    I think this is the one thing many people don't seem to realize, that you can accuse suspects of lying, then back out. Otherwise, it's impossible to know what evidence you need.
    This is perhaps my biggest gripe with the game. The freedom to back out of that but not the other options.
    This was a design choice that didn't quite make sense to me. I liked the system overall, but it felt like it needed another dimension of depth. A choice to be more or less aggressive, for instance, might have allowed you to get the information you need without an outright accusation of lying. I don't know, it just didn't feel quite right.
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#36  Edited By sarahsdad
    @haggis said:
     I think this is the one thing many people don't seem to realize, that you can accuse suspects of lying, then back out. Otherwise, it's impossible to know what evidence you need. If you're paying attention to the evidence you collect, you'll have an idea if someone is lying or not. But you've got to make the accusation in order to know what evidence to select. I'm not sure this setup works best, but once you become accustomed to it, it makes things a lot easier.
    Until reading that, I also didn't realize you could do this at any time. Maybe I don't accuse people of lying enough, but I thought the option to back out was only in certain circumstances where the game realized I didn't have the right evidence. Can't say I'm going to go around accusing everyone I know now, but thanks for the heads up. 

Regarding the driving, the only time I've had a particular issue with it was on one of the side missions where I was chasing a car, got in a position where it would have t-boned me, and instead watched as it drove up and over my car like a sherman tank.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.