Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

League of Legends

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

A free-to-play competitive MOBA game with a large following in eSports. From the original developers of DotA: Allstars, the game expands the gameplay found in DotA by adding persistent Summoner profiles and a variety of original champions who fight for you on the battlefield against bots or one another.

A word of caution to people installing LoL (Pando Media Booster)

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Tordah

So I just started installing LoL again, and I noticed that it needed me to install something called the Pando Media Booster (PMB) in order to continue my installation. I was a bit skeptical, but since I really want to play the game again, I accepted it. I did some googling around and found this article:    

http://www.dasfox.com/blog/post/What-is-Pando-Media-Booster-(Pandoexe).aspx 

Taken from the article: 

"Is Pando.exe Bad?

Pando.exe isn’t inherently bad and is a valid way for a company offering free or discounted software or media to save some money in operating costs. “Isn’t inherently bad” is assuming that the company that installs this process on your machine has told you what it is and has given you the option of whether you want to install it or not. In my case, I had NO idea it was being installed and was just lucky to have found it the same day. (I’ve recently had to switch to Qwest “High Speed” internet and unfortunately have NO bandwidth to spare.)

And unsuspecting user that leaves Pando.exe running on their system is pretty much being forced to seed files to thousands of users ALL THE TIME (pando.exe has been reported by users to use up to 80+% of their internet connection’s upload bandwidth.) For some users this could lead to their ISP throttling their connection and/or actually charging them extra $$$ for using more bandwidth than they knew they were using." 
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By valrog

Remove it as soon as it's done installing. Infiltrating Malware on our PCs now... Well played, Riot, well played.

RaoulDo0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By RaoulDo0k

It's not necessary, and they didn't ask us if we want it installed or not? Oof. Too bad more people won't notice it's presence.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By JokerSmilez

The only way the LoL client will use Pando to seed patches, etc to/from other users is if you opt in. Otherwise, it will download from Riot directly. When you load it up and it checks for new versions, there is the "options" button. If you click it, you have the option of checking a box allowing peer to peer transferring. It is unchecked by default.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Tordah
    @JokerSmilez: How do you mean "download from Riot directly"? If you choose to deny the installation of Pando when you run the LoL installer you'll get an error message, and the installer quits. There's no way around it, as far as I know. "Installing Pando Media Booster" is the very first thing you'll see when you run the installer.

I assume you're talking about once you actually have the game installed, and only need to download patches and updates.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By benpack

This just in: Riot sucks. One of the reasons I stopped playing this game in the first place was how incompetent Riot seemed. How's that new map they are "hard at work on."

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By valrog
    @Tordah:  He probably meant for patches. Anyway, while this software might not be completely bad (They could still got with better P2P programs, just saying), it is irresponsible that Riot did not inform us what is being installed. Especially something capable of opening ports and whatnot.
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tordah
    @valrog: Yeah, it is pretty disgusting. Though it doesn't seem like Riot is the first company to do this. Apparently t's been included in the installers for Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Maple Story, and possibly other online games too.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Aus_azn

Vindictus also used it. Thanks for the heads up, deleting now.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By JokerSmilez
    Man, people are paranoid...  

@GlenTennis said:

" This just in: Riot sucks. One of the reasons I stopped playing this game in the first place was how incompetent Riot seemed. How's that new map they are "hard at work on." "

Where's all the money you were going to pay for that new map? Oh, it's a free-to-play game but you want them to spend countless hours and resources on a feature you expect to get for free? STFU.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By benpack
    @JokerSmilez said:
    " Man, people are paranoid...  

@GlenTennis said:

" This just in: Riot sucks. One of the reasons I stopped playing this game in the first place was how incompetent Riot seemed. How's that new map they are "hard at work on." "

Where's all the money you were going to pay for that new map? Oh, it's a free-to-play game but you want them to spend countless hours and resources on a feature you expect to get for free? STFU. "
    It's buying skins for all those new characters they release every month. What's profatable? Releasing characters or releasing a map everyone will play. I probably put about the price of a full retail game into League of Legends, so I can say what I want about RIOT's business practices.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Aus_azn
    @GlenTennis:  Can't you basically amass points just by playing, in addition to the microtransactions? I haven't spent that much time on it yet.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jack268
    @Aus_azn said:
    " @GlenTennis:  Can't you basically amass points just by playing, in addition to the microtransactions? I haven't spent that much time on it yet. "
    Yes, yes you can. Unless you feel forced to buy the skins, there is no reason to spend real cash on the game. You just need the patience to get the in-game points, and getting to level 30 is going to earn you enough to buy most champions you're interested in anyway. 

The microtransactions are basically a scam and I'm surprised Riot hasn't been sued yet since Microsoft had legal problems for the exact same reason. You can read more here if you're interested.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Jack268 said:
    " @Aus_azn said:
    " @GlenTennis:  Can't you basically amass points just by playing, in addition to the microtransactions? I haven't spent that much time on it yet. "
    Yes, yes you can. Unless you feel forced to buy the skins, there is no reason to spend real cash on the game. You just need the patience to get the in-game points, and getting to level 30 is going to earn you enough to buy most champions you're interested in anyway. 

The microtransactions are basically a scam and I'm surprised Riot hasn't been sued yet since Microsoft had legal problems for the exact same reason. You can read more here if you're interested. "
    Dealing out prime numbers?! How low can you go?

I guess the less-mathematically inclined would think "Oh, 839 ends in 9 so is divisible by 3 or something" or "51 was that funny number that wasn't prime when I took my primary school exams so 6451 mustn't be either". That's terribly crude.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By valrog
    @Tordah:  I guess it's time to setup Wireshark or something. Now, I'm no network expert, but I'm pretty sure programs opening ports without me knowing and using them for whoknowswhat is bad.

@Aus_azn: Actually, the last digit does not determine if the number is divisible by 3.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aus_azn
    @valrog said:
    "@Aus_azn: Actually, the last digit does not determine if the number is divisible by 3. "
    I know that. That's my point. Hence "the less-mathematically inclined"... I know the divisibility test is adding the digits together and seeing if that's divisible by 3.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By valrog
    @Aus_azn:  Right. Sorry. It's really late here and I should probably get off the Internet already. G'night.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.