Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

League of Legends

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

A free-to-play competitive MOBA game with a large following in eSports. From the original developers of DotA: Allstars, the game expands the gameplay found in DotA by adding persistent Summoner profiles and a variety of original champions who fight for you on the battlefield against bots or one another.

Help me learn League of Legends!

chadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By chadster

I've been trying to get into League of Legends recently, but I've been having trouble bridging the gap between knowing the mechanics of the game and actually being able to play online. It seems like most of the "Beginner Guides" out there just outline the basics of last-hitting and leveling, but don't really get into strategy or roles of different heroes. More advanced tutorials seem to just get into infodump territory. Basically, I'm just looking for a guide or series of guides that will allow me to get through a game online without seeming like a complete dumbass. What's a good hero for a beginner to be using? What gear should I be buying for that character and in what general order? What is their basic role? How do I effectively go about attacking other heroes or defending against attacks? (AI games are pretty poor with that because the AI never really leaves their lane or goes for ganks or anything). Basically so far I've learned a lot of the mechanics, but no theory on how to actually be effective with it.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Detrian

Sure, hit the Giant Bomb chat or add Detrian online and we'll 1v1.

EvilAshe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EvilAshe

Several of your questons are tricky to answer without more informaton. What hero should you learn with, well what role are you most intrested in? If, like me, you're awful with Melee DPS a recommendation of Master Yi is going to do nothing but leave you frustrated and want to quit the game, if you like being in the front lines you'll hate learning the game as Sona etc. etc.
    Once you've got a role you like (or 2, a bit of variation is more fun then just doing the same thing over and over) then a cheap good/great Champion to learn with can be found. Some people think the more expensive the better but this isn't true. For example if you like playing Tank you can pick up Amumu for 1350IP and he's arguably the best damn tank in the game.

The specifics of an item build and tactics for any given Champion are best taught 1-1 so take up Detrian on his offer. Some general advice though: 
    -Don't chase the enemy too long and too hard. I know it's frustrating when you've got the guy down to the point where a single hit will finish him, but if you can't see the rest of their team on the mini map chances are they're hiding in the bushes just ahead, and the guy you're chasing is leading you right into them. This has got me killed more times then I can count (and I know I'm not alone in that), I know it's really annoying but just let it go.
    -Ward the river Bushes next to your lane. When you go back for the first time and buy your gear, if you have 75G+ spare pick up a Vision Ward and drop it in the river bushes. The map-awareness it offers that allows you to push in relative safety is worth the money. Noone else will do this at the low-level play you (and I) play at, so don't rely on your teammates to cover warding, you'll have to do it all yourself.
    -Some Champions have abilitys to help them escape, Tristana has 2, but some don't. Flash is a good spell on anyone, but on Champs without an escape mechanism it becomes much more important.

TearsInRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By TearsInRain

PM if you have any questions I'm learning too.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By PixelPrinny

I'm still learning the game myself and it can be overwhelming at times. I've been fortunate enough to have some experienced friends to help me out as well as just reading all of the, as you aptly put it, infodump guides over at places like mobafire. A lot of the guide writers do a terrific job of educating you on the character and even teaching you things like when and where to use wards or how to jungle and such, 

I would say try a bunch of the free characters out in vs ai matches or in custom games with friends while having a guide for them open so you can read up on a good item order to build towards as you play. Nothing beats getting actual experience with a character so you can see if you can like how they play, like their abilities, etc.  I'll throw my name out there as someone else you can always PM to ask questions of or if you ever wanna play a match gimme a shout. My name on LoL is the same as my user name here. 

Best of luck on learning and enjoying the game. I hated it the first time I played a year ago, but decided to give it another chance and have found champions and roles I really enjoy. :)

Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vision

You can add Vision and ask anything. :) (US servers)

I am also willing to do some 1v1 time with you.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @PixelPrinny: ZOMG IM GONNA ADD YOU. *STALK STALK*
    PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By PixelPrinny
    @Xeiphyer said:

As if I'd let a stalker like you add me! Your Gangplank is so bad when my Janna isn't around. He's all like, "Waa, I run out of mana too fast, I need a mana regen aura so go get Soul Shroud. Waa, I can't slow them down, I need your CC abilites. Waa, I rush in and suicide at level 1 because I'm a bad pirate!"
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @PixelPrinny said:
    @Xeiphyer said:

As if I'd let a stalker like you add me! Your Gangplank is so bad when my Janna isn't around. He's all like, "Waa, I run out of mana too fast, I need a mana regen aura so go get Soul Shroud. Waa, I can't slow them down, I need your CC abilites. Waa, I rush in and suicide at level 1 because I'm a bad pirate!"
    EVER WONDER WHY ME' ROGER IS SO JOLLY? ARR HARR HARR
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Chadster

Prepare yourself... 

Start off playing ranged physical damage characters to learn, Ashe is definitely the best in that regard, but you might find other ones that work if they are free (Such as Miss Fortune).

The reason I say start off with a physical damage dealer like Ashe is because while Ability Power (Mage) champions are also usually ranged, you have to manage their mana a lot more because their basic (Or auto attack, the regular right click attack) is really weak.  And of course ranged attack characters are easier because you don't have to get up in the enemy's face to do any damage, so you are safer.

So, I don't know how much of the game you are familiar with already, so I'll recap a few of the basics quickly. 

The standard 5v5 map has 3 lanes: Top, Mid, and Bot (Middle and Bottom of course). Since you have a team of 5, the middle lane will always have only 1 person in it, the solo lane. You will see "Solo Mid" said a lot. On the sides of course there will be 2 each. There is a special case however, and that's when one of your teammates is Jungling. 

A Jungler will almost always bring the Summoner Spell "Smite" to help with killing monsters, so you can usually tell before the game starts and prepare accordingly. Instead of being in the lane like a regular player, the Jungler will be in the area between the lanes, called the Jungle, killing the camps of the neutral minions. At first it seems totally shitty because that means its 1v2 in your lane, and you will probably lose the first tower a lot faster, but trust me, its worth it when done properly. Since the guy by himself isn't sharing exp, he gets an exp advantage on the 2 people he is against, and likewise the Jungler is alone so he also gets more exp, and this gives your team an edge. So its handy. 

Let me explain the roles quickly, since I am talking about Junglers. Roles in LoL (and MOBA games in general) are similar to that of an MMO.

Carry:(Expect to see these referred to as "AD champions", the AD standing for Attack Damage, meaning physical damage dealers). The carry, as the name implies, is going to carry your team to victory, they buff up the strength of their basic attack and then start smacking everything to death, they're the DPS but are also very much Glass Swords or Cannons. They will get focused down by the enemy right away to prevent them from killing everything, so they need to be supported by the team. Examples: Ashe, Miss Fortune, Tryndamere, basically anyone who has high physical damage stat.

Tank: Its the tank! They get really beefy with lots of HP or Defence or Magic Defence, typically a mix of 2 or 3 and try to disrupt the enemy, absorb all the damage, and keep their allies out of harms way while they dish out all the damage. Examples: Leona, Alistair, Cho'Gath, anyone with high HP or Defence 

Support: Another pretty obvious one, these champs support their allies, especially the Carries, to keep them alive and doing extra damage, or debuffing enemies to help the Carry get the kills easier. Supports can also do pretty good damage and be pretty menacing, they typically get targeted first because they are very squishy and annoying. Supports are good ones to learn to play with, since you can really learn the right times to be using skills and what to watch out for as the game goes on. Examples: Janna, Lux, Soraka, Kayle.

Mage: (Expect to see these referred to as "AP champions", the AP standing for Ability Power, meaning magical damage dealers). Mages rely on their skills to do their damage, and increase their damage through Ability Power items. These guys can really burst dudes down with their spells in a short period of time. You have probably seen Annie or Ryze bots do this, Annie especially loves to fireball, cone of fire, and summon tibbers on you, usually killing you straight up. The downside to the awesome damage is mana costs and cooldowns. When a mage has their spells on cooldown, they cant do any damage at all and are very vulnerable, this also means they cant be constantly doing damage, and thus can't truly "Carry" the game like a melee champion can. Examples: Annie, LeBlanc, Morgana, or anyone with high Magic stat.

Those are the main archetypes, but its worth noting there are lots of exceptions and most characters can take on different roles by building differently. For example if you look at Ashe's abilities, you see that beside the damage on some of them is a green (+0), that indicates the bonus damage from your items and stuff, Green ones mean they get bonuses from Magic items, that is, Ability Power items, while Orange numbers mean it benefits from Physical Damage stuff. The tradeoff with Ashe is that by getting physical damage items, her skills don't get any bonus damage, however her regular attack becomes very strong, combined with all her slows and her stun that means the enemy will have trouble escaping you, and you can kill them using your basic attack. 

However, you could instead build her for AP, and have her basic attack suck, but her skills hit really hard. If you build this way then Ashe is no longer a Carry, but now a Mage, and thus you are at the mercy of your mana and cooldowns for doing damage. Other champions can build into being a Carry or instead being a Tank, or be a hybrid build. Its mostly dependant on what the team needs and if the champion gets any bonuses from the items for that type of character. (AP items on a champion that gets no bonuses from AP is wasted of course).

As for how to play Ashe in a game, start off with the Doron's Sword. The Doron items give the best stats for the price, but the downside is that they never upgrade into anything, so later on you will want to sell them back to free up space. In the beginning of the game though they really give you an edge. Later on when you get more comfortable with the character, you can try mixing it up and getting a regular item first, so you aren't wasting any money and can build something quicker.

Okay, so you get your Doron's Sword and now you gotta pick a lane. Ashe is great in Mid, but that is a lot harder for learning, so go to top or bot. Usually you want at least 1 ranged champion in each side lane, otherwise the enemy can harass the two melee champions freely. A DPS champion usually wants to go with a tank or support, so they can work together, so look for one of those. In the end it wont matter too much since you can work with anyone. 2 DPS champs just means more damage for your lane after all, just make sure the other lane doesn't need it or you might want to switch.

Speaking of, don't be afraid to ask an ally to swap lanes with you if you are having too much trouble, its a lot better than feeding the enemy a bunch and losing the game.

So get to the lane, watch the bushes, enemies will hide in there if they get to the lane first, and jump you when you walk by to try and get First Blood, so hang back a bit when the minions come to make them leave the bush and start hitting minions, or check the bush with your teammate. 

Press the S key while moving to stop and not auto attack, this is handy for last hitting, you can also just keep moving around to stop from autoattacking. Instead of just standing there like a noobie firing away at all the minions, let your minions do the work, and then time your attack to get the killing blow, its a lot easier to time when you aren't caught up in an animation from a previous attack. Its also easy to time because minions will be hitting the target at the same rate. The other huge advantage to only attacking to get last hits is that the enemy will usually not be doing the same, and the minion battle will get pushed up to your tower (Feel free to auto attack down the minions to save your tower of course). At your tower, the enemy can't hit you without getting the tower aggro'd onto them, which as I'm sure you have experienced, is generally pretty fatal. So you can attack them freely, but they can't attack you back, its a pretty sweet place to be fighting from! You might even be able to stun them as their last minion is dieing and get them trapped in the tower's range for a bit. 

One major downside to Ashe is that she doesn't have any skills for escaping with. Some champions have teleports or moves that make them run fast, Ashe doesn't so if she gets caught by the enemy, it can be hard to escape. That's why you are going to want to invest in your boots very early. Typically the Enchanged Boots are best, since they give more movespeed than the other boots most players buy, at the cost of no cool bonuses like attack speed, but this will let you outrun most other champions. 

Another item you will want to pick up early is the Vampiric Scepter,  it gives you some lifesteal so you will be able to stay out in the lane longer.

Your core item, the item you want to focus on building to after you get your boots, is the Infinity Edge. The most expensive piece is the BF Sword, costing 1650g, so you are going to have to save up for a while to get it. I usually try and get the BF Sword first, since it gives you a big boost to your damage and will make farming and getting kills a lot easier. Once you get the Infinity Edge you will be hitting really hard, and your critical hits will be pretty insane, so you want to increase your attack speed and critical hit chance some more to ensure you are hitting more often and always getting those crits, the perfect item to get next is the Phantom Dancer, which gives you some more movespeed to get around and escape death, and attack speed and crit, which is perfect for wrecking things. Don't forget that you don't have to build an item all at once, or focus on it completely, Usually after I get my BF sword, I get the Zeal, which is part of the Phantom Dancer, since it gives some nice bonuses and is pretty cheap.  

If you find yourself suffering from low mana constantly, try getting some mana regen, I really like Eleisa's Miracle, since it gives tons of hp and mana regen, and reduces how long debuffs like slow and stun last on you by 25%, its really awesome.

Also keep in mind the item order isn't super rigid, if you are doing really well you might get enough gold to get your BF sword first, before boots even. It really depends on the situation. Sometimes you might really need some extra armor and have to put your build on hold to get some of that first, knowing what to do just comes with practice though. 

For skills... Usually you want to start with your W skill, the cone of arrows for some damage if you need it. Keep in mind that level 1 skills are pretty much shit for damage and Ashe's mana pool is really bad. I usually avoid using the spells unless I really need to until they are level 2 or 3 at least.

Your Q skill makes your basic attacks slow the enemy, its perfect for making sure the enemy cast escape you as you keep hitting them over and over, each hit reapplying the slow. Just remember its costing you mana each shot, so turn it off when you are hitting minions or just poking at the enemy. You dont need to slow them unless its to help someone escape or to try and kill them.

Your W skill is handy for killing minions late game, but you will be using it primarily as an area slow and a general harassing tool. Its good for firing into bushes to see if anyone is there. If you see some of the middle arrows don't come out the other side, it means they hit somebody! 

Your E skill has a nice passive that gives you some extra gold for each minion kill, and can be activated to fire a ghost hawk to scout, always aim it the maximum distance, Keep in mind this does no damage, so don't fire it at enemies! You can use the spell via the minimap now too, so fire it through the forest to see where enemies are running, or to check if they are coming to kill you when they go missing from another lane. You can even fire it to see where the enemy is and line up your ultimate. I'd get one point in this skill at level 4 and then leave it until the end.

Your R, the "Ultimate", is really awesome. It can be fired across the entire map, so if there is a battle going down in Mid and you are in the base,fire the arrow and you will probably hit some enemies and stun them, letting your allies get free kills. Just remember it flies really slowly, so you won't be catching anyone running to the sides very easily. You can also fire the ult at close range for a quick stun to let you finish someone off, or to save an ally or yourself. Always put a point into this when its available (Levels 6,11,16).

I think that's about it, there might be more =P Everyone is welcome to ask me questions, either here or in PM or in LoL at any time and I'll answer em gladly. Feel free to add me in LoL, my name is Xeiphyer. 

Sorry for this being soooooo longggggggg!
    Cathadan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Detrian
    @PixelPrinny said:
    I'm still learning the game myself and it can be overwhelming at times. I've been fortunate enough to have some experienced friends to help me out as well as just reading all of the, as you aptly put it, infodump guides over at places like mobafire. A lot of the guide writers do a terrific job of educating you on the character and even teaching you things like when and where to use wards or how to jungle and such,  I would say try a bunch of the free characters out in vs ai matches or in custom games with friends while having a guide for them open so you can read up on a good item order to build towards as you play. Nothing beats getting actual experience with a character so you can see if you can like how they play, like their abilities, etc.  I'll throw my name out there as someone else you can always PM to ask questions of or if you ever wanna play a match gimme a shout. My name on LoL is the same as my user name here.  Best of luck on learning and enjoying the game. I hated it the first time I played a year ago, but decided to give it another chance and have found champions and roles I really enjoy. :)
    Gonna step here and say that mobafire is not always very good. If you want to go with the guide way (and you should If only to get an idea of what you should be doing) go to http://solomid.net/ and read featured guides there (also make sure they are not ancient guides). Ideally you would grab the top 3 guides from mobafire, solomid and http://leaguecraft.com and compare to see where they coincide. 

Solomid also has videos of champs sometimes so you can see people play and see what they do but again, if the info is too old it might no longer apply.
    Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Cwaff

@Xeiphyer: You said what I was going to word for word :(

@Chadster: But seriously, for learning I would suggest ranged physical damage and using the recommended items until you know the other items well enough to experiment!

Also playing with friends helps a lot, but if you have to go solo don't take anything anyone says to heart and keep practising! :)

DirtyEagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DirtyEagles

don't do it 
    it sucks 

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Deranged

LoL!

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Detrian

Oh yeah, I would also recommend NEVER buying tier 2 runes. Too expensive and too little of an upgrade for money that is better spent on a champ you like or saving for tier 3 runes.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Enigma777

No, that game is garbage. Get SC2 and play custom DOTA games on that instead.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#18  Edited By Kidavenger

I wouldn't recommend a new player start off with a ranged carry like Ashe as you will be spending a large amount of your time dead until you learn positioning and proper pacing of the game. The only way to get good at this game is to play it more and to be alive for more time in the games you will be playing.

The easiest/most durable characters in the game are Garen or Mordekaiser for melee and Gangplank or Fiddlesticks for ranged.

Pushing your lane without dying is the most important part of the game to learn, learning to get kills comes with time and experience.

For gear, just use the recommended, it's almost always a good mix of offensive and defensive items, most guides will completely ignore defensive items which will leave you dead more than you should be when you don't know what you are doing.

chadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chadster
    Much appreciated for all your helpful tips, especially @Xeiphyer with his long-ass post that illuminated a lot for me. I'll take a look at all these guides and once I get some free time I'll put in a couple matches with this stuff in mind.
    Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Xeiphyer
    @Chadster: No worries, I'm impressed you attempted to read that, I got pretty carried away!

Feel free to add me or PM me on here if ya have any questions, specific stuff is a lot easier to answer (and shorter too! Probably.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.