Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Nov 17, 2009

In the sequel to Valve's cooperative zombie shooter, a new team of four ragtag survivors must work together to survive the apocalypse, facing new Infected threats as they fight their way across the Southern United States.

So people are boycotting L4D2

• 106 results
    darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By darkspirit138
    @Alex_V said:
    " Here's my replies to their 'beefs'!!!

* Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered

A new multiplayer mode was launched recently. Versus ina ll campaigns. Valve haven't announced that they're stopping the support for L4D. This is a cricism based on thin air and paranoia.

* Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release

Every developer does that with a successful product. Valve would be crazy to do any different.

* The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games

Assumption. The sequel is 5 months away - who says it will be identical. Any sequel hurts the community for the game that came before - what's the problem? It's like an argument for the world standing still. On that basis Valve should never release sequels for Half-Life or Portal. Ludicrous idea.

* The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes

Says who? Total assumption. Apparently zombies are totally different, limbs can be blown off, new infected, different characters, setting, maps, and melee weapons, guns, and incendiary ammo. Also a new multiplayer mode. And a new AI director that will alter the actual layour of the level, and the weather. And apparently in-level changes like constant respawn areas where the zombies must be siwtched off. No significant gameplay changes? Utter nonsense!!!

* The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far

This is not a reason to not want a sequel. If they end up bland an unappealing and nobody buys the game, then what does it matter?

* L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic

That'd be why it's called a sequel. The desire for a sequel to mirror the initial game is just weird - I like sequels to do something different. Plus this is contradictory with the point about lack of time meaning less changes - you can't have it both ways.

* The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome

Irrelevant. If anything this is an argument for a sequel, not against one.

* L4D2's release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before

Says who? Where's the evidence of this? This is the best point made so far though - if you bought the first game expecting there to be a good few years of support, then maybe the sequel will affect that. But speaking personally, I don't play my games for years on end - what proportion of gamers play the same game for more than 12 months?

* The community has lost faith in Valve's former reputation for commitment to their games post-releaseBased on what? Which game has Valve left unsupported? L4D has had a major update recently. TF2 still gets crazy updates! I just don't see the evidence for this complaint! "
    Well played.
    Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By Alex_V

Just to update this - according to Valve the team continuing to work on updates for the original L4D is of similar size to their Team Fortress 2 team. So the idea that they aren't supporting the game is, as expected, total nonsense.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#103  Edited By droop

You can't really compare GoW1 / 2 and COD4 / MW2 to this.. There are 2 years between those games, and there's been no promise of free dlc..

Nor Madden.. Not the same at all.

I'm not pro-boycott, btw ;)

gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By gormers

This is one of the stupidest idea Ive ever heard. And its kind of scary that it has so many members.

I guess its kind of strange with a release no shortly after, but L4D 1 was well worth the money to me (and it was cheap), and since they keep updating it, why should anyone be complaining. Its as simple as dont by the game if you dont want more L4D.

gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By gormers
    @darkspirit138 said:
    "
    @Alex_V said:
    " Here's my replies to their 'beefs'!!!

* Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered

A new multiplayer mode was launched recently. Versus ina ll campaigns. Valve haven't announced that they're stopping the support for L4D. This is a cricism based on thin air and paranoia.

* Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release

Every developer does that with a successful product. Valve would be crazy to do any different.

* The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games

Assumption. The sequel is 5 months away - who says it will be identical. Any sequel hurts the community for the game that came before - what's the problem? It's like an argument for the world standing still. On that basis Valve should never release sequels for Half-Life or Portal. Ludicrous idea.

* The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes

Says who? Total assumption. Apparently zombies are totally different, limbs can be blown off, new infected, different characters, setting, maps, and melee weapons, guns, and incendiary ammo. Also a new multiplayer mode. And a new AI director that will alter the actual layour of the level, and the weather. And apparently in-level changes like constant respawn areas where the zombies must be siwtched off. No significant gameplay changes? Utter nonsense!!!

* The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far

This is not a reason to not want a sequel. If they end up bland an unappealing and nobody buys the game, then what does it matter?

* L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic

That'd be why it's called a sequel. The desire for a sequel to mirror the initial game is just weird - I like sequels to do something different. Plus this is contradictory with the point about lack of time meaning less changes - you can't have it both ways.

* The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome

Irrelevant. If anything this is an argument for a sequel, not against one.

* L4D2's release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before

Says who? Where's the evidence of this? This is the best point made so far though - if you bought the first game expecting there to be a good few years of support, then maybe the sequel will affect that. But speaking personally, I don't play my games for years on end - what proportion of gamers play the same game for more than 12 months?

* The community has lost faith in Valve's former reputation for commitment to their games post-releaseBased on what? Which game has Valve left unsupported? L4D has had a major update recently. TF2 still gets crazy updates! I just don't see the evidence for this complaint! "
    Well played. "
    Mhm.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By Binman88

I don't understand why people are getting so worked up over this.

I bought L4D recently because they had it on sale one weekend - before that, I felt the price was too high for the enjoyment I expected I would get from it, so I made a value judgement based on what was in the game at the time and what I was willing to pay for it. I didn't pay money with the hope they would add more content to it, promised or otherwise. If people really felt strongly about their purchase being some sort of investment for future content maybe they should have waited until Valve released said content before purchasing. If you were honestly relying on promises for more content to persuade you to buy the game, then you obviously felt that there was not enough content to begin with, in which case, like I said, you shouldn't have bought the game in the first place and that's not really anyone's fault but your own; certainly not Valve's.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By cc23574

I dont get this, if  a sequel is announced of your game, you're supposed to be happy right? So, it may not feature a lot of new features, but do Valve fans really expect that every games must change the genre?

arca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By arca

Anybody who is against L4D2 Is a greedy childish fuck who need's to realise that Valve do not owe you anything. You have no 'rights' when it comes to updated content or a sequel.

Valve constantly update their games to please their community. Most other developers do not do this and if they do they charge for it. Valve is the one decent developer that goes out of their way and potentially loses money keeping you lot happy.

When you buy a game you do not buy it expecting that there is going to be another 400 missions and other additional content for free, you are paying for what is in the box. Any updates are a given and you are lucky to get them, the only updates they do 'owe' you are game breaking bug fixes. nothing else.

Either buy the sequel or carry on playing L4D and shut the fuck up.

Edit: oh and check Alex_V's last post, you'll be getting decent updates anyway.
    Edit: @Kenobi, how do you know this is just a sequel with 'expansion like add-ons' you don't, you have nothing to base that on and are making it up out of thin air.

I'm going to laught at all of the fools that buy this after boycotting it.

edit: lock this dumb thread.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.