Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Any Mod's at all?

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By TomA

I got Left 4 Dead the day after it cam out over Steam.I really enjoy it,but are there any mod's out there for the game yet?I know there is an offical mod site but last time i checked there wasn't anything on there.I know it's kind of early and mod writers need time to develop the mods but I recently bought a new PC after being primarily a console gamer for all my life and I want to take advantage of all the kool things with games i couldn't do before.If I had the time or knew how, i would write a mod myself but i don't so i'm relying on other people to make the content and i'll just play it. BTW my steam account is    terrytate42

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Black_Rose
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Black_Rose said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Brad made a blog about a mod that's being made, emulating the Dawn of the Dead mall:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/heres-your-left-4-dead-shopping-mall-map/561/

That's all I know of."
    Isn't that DC and not a mod?"

"This map was already in existence as a part of the Half-Life 2 mod No More Room in Hell, which is a cooperative us-against-neverending-hordes-of-zombies game from back before Valve figured out how to turn that idea into a commercial prospect. Author Darth_Brush is porting the Crossroads Mall map to Left 4 Dead, and l4dmods.com says it will be exclusively hosting the map once it's ready for consumption. The site also promises a "special little surprise...real soon now" pertaining to the map. So check back there real soon now!"

-
    Brad
    Damonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Damonation
    bjorno said:
    "why would you need mods for a game that is simply a sub-par counter-strike mod?"
    Take THAT Valve!
    Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Psynapse

lol @ bjorno

Soulglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Soulglove

Mods take time, sometimes longer than a game because teams are much smaller and have to make the time to work on it between actual jobs. Plus, the proper SDK hasn't even been released yet. Don't expect anything if you have the 360 version. I have a Total Conversion in the works, and I've only done a few concept drawings in between work and school.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper

The SDK hasn't come out yet so people can't update their maps to support the game.
    When the SDK comes out you'll find a load of DLC for the game on the PC.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PureRok
    Scooper said:
    "The SDK hasn't come out yet so people can't update their maps to support the game.
    When the SDK comes out you'll find a load of DLC for the game on the PC."
    Actually, people can. It's just a little bit harder to do. People managed to get de_dust (unmodified) to work on L4D. Technically any map made using the Source engine for HL2/CS/TF2 etc. can be used in L4D without modification (zombies and all).
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scooper
    PureRok said:
    "Scooper said:
    "The SDK hasn't come out yet so people can't update their maps to support the game.
    When the SDK comes out you'll find a load of DLC for the game on the PC."
    Actually, people can. It's just a little bit harder to do. People managed to get de_dust (unmodified) to work on L4D. Technically any map made using the Source engine for HL2/CS/TF2 etc. can be used in L4D without modification (zombies and all)."

Nope. The reason de_dust worked was because Counter Strike Source uses simerler bot pathways that the infected use so all they had to do was import the map into the L4D directory and go, even I've done it, you can play Team Fortress 2 maps on L4D if you use the pathways from source but it still isn't the same because you can't access L4D specific stuff.

And a custom map isn't really a mod, it's just a custom map. If you want to change actual gameplay mechanics and the like, you'll need the SDK.
    DavidLeeRoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DavidLeeRoth

The only custom content released so far have been reskins and a few custom maps. The only map I've been able to find that works without having to extract HL2, TF2 or CS:S content is L4D Town Square. It's small, uses developer textures and there is very little to do. There is probably a few more maps out there, but not many have been posted publicly. As Scooper mentioned, the SDK hasn't been released. A group of folks on various L4D forums figured out a way to create an unofficial makeshift SDK, however it's better described as a workaround. I tested it out on the weekend and quickly reverted back to holding off on map creation till the official SDK is released.

As of right now I don't see much more than custom maps and maybe a few serverside mods being released from the content creation and customization community. That's not exactly a bad thing seeing as a lot can be done with a combination of the two, but I doubt many full on L4D mods will be released. It's still the Source engine after all, so it's not some enormous change from HL2. The Director is an interesting tool to mess around with and it can be controlled rather easily without having to mess with much more than map entities and console commands. It's very accessible without having to create full fledged mods.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Absurd

I thought it was a Map, not a mod? Also go to fpsbanana, and check out some of the skins.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.