Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

LittleBigPlanet

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 27, 2008

Lead the way as a player-created Sackperson in the highly customizable side-scrolling world of LittleBigPlanet, where players can play, create, and share 2.5D levels with their friends and the whole PSN community.

To anyone who complains that the MGS content pack should be free

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By piropeople13

We received a full and complete game for $60 dollars and it does not need this content.  This content does not lock you out from playing with your friends with this content even if they have not purchased it.  We are not charged a recurring subscription fee for full access to PSN or the LBP sharing servers, which may not be the most reliable but are certainly very expensive to maintain.  It is a reasonable price for that much content.  There is also plentiful free content released at regular intervals so that everyone can have something new to keep up interest in the game.

Think of it as a pricing model to keep up post-release support and the servers up and running for the game to years to come.  Micro-transactions like this are far superior to a subscription model because the all players get access for free and you can buy content based on your budget instead of everyone being forced to pay a recurring charge just for access.  It also forces Media Molecule and Sony to keep coming up with new, exciting, and innovative stuff to play otherwise their profit margins go poof.

So to anyone who says that this should be free does not understand economics and that this is much better than the alternative pricing model.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Who's complaining about that? It's a fantastic content pack, and they have every right to charge for it.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By get2sammyb
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "Who's complaining about that? It's a fantastic content pack, and they have every right to charge for it."
    MB claimed in the other thread something along the lines of "Sony removing levels to justify this". Also I've seen a fair bit of moaning on Kotaku. I think anyone who is griping haven't followed LBP post-launch close enough and are not entirely sure exactly what the pack contains.

Media Molecule are on level with Criterion right now for me (kinda makes me all warm and fuzzy that they're both British developers). Not only have they made a quality, quality release but with patches 1.06/1.07 and this pack they really get my kudos. Also big kudos to Sony who have turned around, held their hands up, admitted they fucked up with the moderating and fixed the problem. Of course everyone that doesn't play the game still thinks Sony are pulling down everything that even touches a copyright. Which is so, so, so far from the case it couldn't be true.

I actually think LittleBigPlanet may get to the point where Sony give it away with systems (and I mean, Wii Sports style free). I know it's a move that may piss off people who have paid for it but; seeing as the game didn't sell especially well I see it's profitable scale success in DLC. I'm not saying that LBP won't have legs but just look at this in a different model for a second:

• Game free with system that showcases the PSN is instant win. Gives customers a bit of extra incentive to buy the system, the game would cement sackboy as Sony's mascot, encourages people to sign up to the PSN straight away.
    • Greater number of people owning LittleBigPlanet means a greater audience for DLC -- I've no doubt this MGS pack will be the first in a long, long, long line of similar content for LittleBigPlanet. This keeps Media Molecule in business.
    • Greater number of players more incentive for third parties to use LittleBigPlanet as a creative advertising tool -- imagine: Resident Evil 5 levels to generate hype, God Of War III levels, etc. Free costumes with games. So on and so on.

Wondered what you guys thought of this as being a feasible business model? I'm no market analyst (yet) but as a quick thought (without serious research) I'd hazard this would be a brilliant platform for Sony and Media Molecule.

I actually think it's highly possible because this model seems to be similar to thing they're trying to achieve with Home.
    piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By piropeople13

Thank you both for submitting thoughtful additions to the thread.  I agree that it makes me very happy and it is very impressive that Sony and Media Molecule (despite some stumbles) have continued to put there heart into making right by the fans of LBP.

To TheGTAvacccine:  first of all I love your name.  Second I just saw some stuffs on the internets that indicated so and wanted to post this because people browsing this forum (even though they may not start a thread or even comment about it) may have some thoughts or doubts about them being ripped off in some way that I wanted to quell.

To get2sammyb:  I like your idea about giving it away to promote the system but I do respectfully believe it has some flaws:

• The DLC packs are not priced high enough to cover development costs plus network costs while still making a profit.
    • Sony is losing $260 on each PS3 sold (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/15/sony-losing-260-on-each-ps3-sold/1) so devaluing a retail game key to their strategy (they have to make back that money plus more from game royalties and overpriced accessories) would not work out well
    • The game would have had to be designed to sell more stuff as DLC than just included like they did with the $60 retail game that it is now.
    • PlayStation Home is the application that is the centerpiece of the business model that you suggest and they are already carrying out.

In addition, on a personal note, I love Little Big Planet the way it is and a less complete, modular version would just not be LBP.

A Big Thank You to both of you for making excellent, well thought out, and intelligent posts.  :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.