Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lovely Planet

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 31, 2014

Lovely Planet is a first-person shooter set in a cutesy, colorful world. Players dodge enemy bullets and shoot their way to the end of each level. Described by Dan Ryckert as "The Koyaanisqatsi of video games."

This game is great, fans of old school shooters will love it

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flasaltine

And boy does it get hard. What? Okay. But that stuff in the quick look was child's play, especially if you don't care about accuracy. Trying to get 100% accuracy and pulling off the shots in this game reminds me a lot of getting a direct rocket hit in Quake or a Blue Plate in Tribes Ascend. The movement is fast paced and you can dodge a lot of shots like Doom, some follow you though. The soundtrack in this game is awesome. The level design is pretty great too, it makes you feel bad ass.

It is the first game that has compelled me to make a recording of it. I wanted to show a later level and what it was like to do it with 100% accuracy.

That level took me quite a few tries to get down but now when I am watching this video it seems easy. The game is $5.09 right now and I recommend it.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By jimipeppr

Yes, it is awesome. It's one of those games that I would classify as "satisfying."

I've just been going through it without worrying about accuracy or time. I'll go back and do that later.

Coincidentally, I also felt compelled to record myself playing... here is my woefully inadequate run of 2-19 (compared to this gif)

No Caption Provided

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i have a feeling this game is going to have a hardcore following for speedruns.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it is awesome. It's one of those games that I would classify as "satisfying."

I've just been going through it without worrying about accuracy or time. I'll go back and do that later.

Coincidentally, I also felt compelled to record myself playing... here is my woefully inadequate run of 2-19 (compared to this gif)

No Caption Provided

I mean that gif is still kind of bad. Lots of shooting and didn't even get the time star. I made a video of 2-19 for three stars:

Loading Video...

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flacracker: Nice. I don't have a huge PC shooter background so my accuracy and mobility aren't great. I feel like if I'm able to finish this game my skill will have improved immensely (I'm about halfway through world three at the moment).

dsi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's my WR run of 3-19 (playing @ 120hz, recorded @ 60fps, damn shadowplay). Now I want to go back and see what other skips there are after this forced me to jump over a blue fence.

Loading Video...

I think I'm gonna be prefiring everywhere in CSGO now too.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I like how quickly a skill community is getting around this game.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By EVO

Is it worth getting if I plan on using a controller?

EDIT: Nevermind, this answered my question. For those that are wondering:

As someone who had to playtest the game (beat it) with a 360 controller... may the gods be with you.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

That was a pretty 1337 time you got on that video there.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evo said:

Is it worth getting if I plan on using a controller?

EDIT: Nevermind, this answered my question. For those that are wondering:

As someone who had to playtest the game (beat it) with a 360 controller... may the gods be with you.

Yeah I don't know who they're marketing this game too. FPS platforming is horrible.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart: Yeah, Portal is such a horrible game.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mcfart
    @jimipeppr said:

@mcfart: Yeah, Portal is such a horrible game.

Portal works with a controller.

edit: better this this game

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart: But this isn't a bad game just because it was primarily designed for the precision of a mouse. It's a PC game... mouse and keyboard are the default input.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dsi1 said:

Here's my WR run of 3-19 (playing @ 120hz, recorded @ 60fps, damn shadowplay). Now I want to go back and see what other skips there are after this forced me to jump over a blue fence.

I think I'm gonna be prefiring everywhere in CSGO now too.

Is this a challenge? Well I accepted and got a 17.03. Then I tried it again and got a 17.15 so I don't know which one will go on the leaderboard. And how long does it take to update the times?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

It looked positively delightful and at the same time fairly challenging during the quick look. I definitely might have to check it out at some point. Maybe during a sale later in the year.

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MalibuProfen

I've enjoyed this game quite a bit attempting to three star each level and world; so far with positive results. Only the mountain region remains to be attained now that the gruelling swamp is behind me. Got a few WRs along the way, some of which may have already been broken since then and others that will eventually be bettered. For temporary bragging rights I have, naturally, taken screenshots of said records and compiled them into a single image for proof of my elite skillz.

I'm the best, mayne. I deed it.
    I'm the best, mayne. I deed it.

The game's biggest strength is its great flow in the short burst levels that are a joy - sometimes of the agonizing 'replay a level until your eyes pop off' variety - to play while the awesome soundtrack sets the mood offering a track per each of the six worlds. Recommended for people who enjoy the thrill of running fast in an optimal line and blasting accurately at thingies within a cute, abstract world. Could also be an enjoyable experience just going through the levels without having to deal with the added pressure of time and accuracy, so don't let the speedrunny nature of the way I've personally played the game scare you away.

Wouldn't have picked this game up had I not watched the quick look by Dan and Drew. So cheers for them.

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's pretty crazy how much this took me off guard when picking it up after the quick look. Probably one of the most pleasant surprises I've had with buying a game fairly blind.

I was happy just buying this cheap, whimsical game but then, after playing for a while, it ended up being legitimately awesome in its level design and gameplay. It's got that same addictive, strive-for-perfection type quality that Super Meat Boy had as well. Same sense of speed and momentum.

It's a cool change after being fairly burnt out on FPS games for a while.

MikaelBoogart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is very well designed. It keeps surprising me with well thought out enemy and obstacle placement. Definitely has that Super Meat Boy thing where it all comes together smoothly when you play fast and accurate. Just zipping along as fast as possible often puts you in perfect position to take on the next set of obstacles.

@nasp: Yes, i'm doing some preliminary routing for it right now. I'm not sure what sorts of skips have been found yet by others. Nothing major that i have found yet. Just by nature of the falling targets, it would be pretty hard to do much in the way of serious out of bounds stuff. I'm trying to figure out if you bypass a balloon target entirely without triggering its launch, does that count as a missed enemy? Seems like it would but I want to test it first to make sure.

So far geometry is pretty tight as far as clipping through things is concerned.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is very well designed. It keeps surprising me with well thought out enemy and obstacle placement. Definitely has that Super Meat Boy thing where it all comes together smoothly when you play fast and accurate. Just zipping along as fast as possible often puts you in perfect position to take on the next set of obstacles.

@nasp: Yes, i'm doing some preliminary routing for it right now. I'm not sure what sorts of skips have been found yet by others. Nothing major that i have found yet. Just by nature of the falling targets, it would be pretty hard to do much in the way of serious out of bounds stuff. I'm trying to figure out if you bypass a balloon target entirely without triggering its launch, does that count as a missed enemy? Seems like it would but I want to test it first to make sure.

So far geometry is pretty tight as far as clipping through things is concerned.

i havent even played the game and the first thing i wondered when watching it was if the blobs counted as a missed enemy.if you figure it out im interested to hear the answer.

MikaelBoogart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikaelBoogart

@nasp: Ther trigger radius for their launch is pretty big so no luck yet on getting to end of level with any unlaunched yet.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@flacracker Your videos are inspiring, thank you!

I didn't realise the accuracy mattered to getting 3 stars. Right now up to 3-4, game is kicking my ass and I need a better mouse.

Avatar image for thedigitalistic
    TheDigitalistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the gifs of this game are so amazing to watch, I decided to make my own.

http://gfycat.com/TenderCarefreeGrackle

Goddamn, this game is great and super satisfying. Just a shame I couldn't get the second star for time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.