Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 20, 2013

Known as Luigi's Mansion 2 outside of America, this handheld sequel to the 2001 GameCube launch title, Luigi's Mansion, has players control Luigi as he busts ghosts once again.

Did you finish Luigi's Mansion, assuming you started playing it?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

BisonHero  Online

Poll Did you finish Luigi's Mansion, assuming you started playing it? (52 votes)

Yes (and I usually finish most games I start) 13%
    Yes (and I don't always finish games I start) 6%
    No (and I usually finish most games I start) 25%
    No (and I don't always finish games I start) 15%
    Haven't played it 40%

Now that we're several months out, what do you guys think of Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS? It doesn't strike me as the sort of game you "just can't put down" and finish in a weekend; if anything, it seems like the opposite, a game you pick away at here and there. Personally, I've been playing it here and there on the train and bus to school and work (I do a lot of commuting on mass transit).

I find that I agree with most reviews in that it's a well made game, but boy do they ever pad it out with unnecessary missions that have you revisiting areas you're already quite familiar with, tasked with frivolous fetch quests. The third mansion in particular really killed all momentum the game had for me, to the point that I basically didn't touch it for the entirety of May. I picked it up again in the past couple days, and was pleased to find out that the fourth mansion only has 3 missions (instead of the regular 5) then jumps straight to the boss fight, and that is exactly how many fucking missions there should be, for once. Seriously, the second and third mansions really could've done with 4 missions + boss, while I found that 5 missions + boss just really dragged.

I haven't started the fifth mansion yet, but my interest is kinda renewed in the game now that I'm close to the ending and they had the decency to make the fourth mansion rather brief.

So what do you guys think of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon?

• 
    TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

I was really into Luigi's Mansion for the first hour or so, but it lost me pretty quick. I don't know what it was. I guess it just wasn't for me.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By big_jon

Stuck on the giant knight, not sure how to make him fall so.

Love the game though, I don't want to say I didn't finish it because I really ploughed though 99% of it.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

I finished it about three or four days after it came out, it was my first 3DS game, and I really enjoyed it.

Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I enjoyed it, but it is definitely intended for short bursts.

The longer your play sessions, the less you will like it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BisonHero  Online

@beb said:

I enjoyed it, but it is definitely intended for short bursts.

The longer your play sessions, the less you will like it.

Exactly. I have no idea how reviewers can play through the whole game in 5 days or less and still give it the praise it deserves. I just would not be able to play this game that continuously and still enjoy my time with the game.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#6  Edited By ManMadeGod

I think what killed this game for me was the lack of checkpoints before a boss battle. I just don't have much time to play video games anymore, so the idea of having to replay entire levels after dying on a boss is a major turnoff. Not sure when I will get back around to playing it as Animal Crossing is currently satisfying my 3DS fix

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I haven't played it yet but my 8 year old son just finished his 4th play through and found all the hidden gems and Boos. I think it's safe to say he really likes the game.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Strife777

I almost finished the second mansion but stopped. I actually really like that game, but it gets pretty repetitive and the upgrade path is too short, I already got it all and I'm clearly not even halfway through the game.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm somewhere in the middle of the clock mansion and have every intention of finishing it, but I almost feel like I have gotten everything I'm going to out of it. It's a real shame as it looks beautiful with possibly the best 3D of any game on that system and is packed with tons of great sight gags and charming little touches.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BisonHero  Online

@agnosticjesus said:

I haven't played it yet but my 8 year old son just finished his 4th play through and found all the hidden gems and Boos. I think it's safe to say he really likes the game.

Well that's good! I should probably keep in mind that in a lot of cases, 6-12 is probably the target age range for a lot of Nintendo's games, and kids that age probably wouldn't be as bothered by the things I take issue with.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BisonHero  Online

@strife777 said:

I almost finished the second mansion but stopped. I actually really like that game, but it gets pretty repetitive and the upgrade path is too short, I already got it all and I'm clearly not even halfway through the game.

I wouldn't even call it an upgrade path. It's just not a focal point of the game, and it seems like they struggled to even come up with 5 upgrades.

Unless the player is blatantly ignoring money, you're basically guaranteed to have all the upgrades by the end of the 2nd mansion, meaning you have all of the upgrades for basically the back two thirds of the game. The upgrades to your darklight hardly even matter, and the Poltergust upgrades basically help get you more money from ghosts, but at a certain point money is completely meaningless, unless you're trying to meet the conditions for 3-starring levels (which I assume has some kind of minimum requirement of how much money you need to collect in the mission).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.