Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia II

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Aug 24, 2010

Play as Vito Scaletta and rise up through the ranks of the criminal underworld of Empire Bay in Mafia II, the sequel to the 2002 sandbox-style hit.

How did you react to the ending (obivous spoiler thread)

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bhhawks78

*Joe gets in other car*

"Oh shit? leo's guys aren't?...."

*See's Joe's car turn down a different street*

"Cmon...no no no"

*Leo explains, Vito sits there quiet*

"Do something Vito...cmon cmon COME ON FUCK!"  I stand up drop the controller, kick it against the shelf and walk out of the room pissed.

99% of the time in games when something important is happening I think of it as "oh they (as in the devs) aren't going to blah blah" but this and the whole atmosphere of the game in general (love those montages) just made it really feel like an interactive movie but with actual good voice acting/decent gameplay/great writing.  (Aka the opposite of the hyped story games like heavy rain/alan wake)

Add 
    2K Czech  to Swery, Atlus, Bioware and Rockstar as making the only games where the story actually elicited an emotion beyond "this is good or bad writing/voice acting etc"

Honestly the fact I was so mad at the ending (not in a shit this is dumb way) is impressive to me.

EvilMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EvilMuffin

My jaw dropped and I said "Nooooo!" 
    I really liked Joe.

*haz a sad*

I really enjoyed the game though. My only gripe was lack of side missions/open world-ness. I actually enjoyed the driving. I love 50's related stuff.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fripplebubby

I'm real sad about that. I mean, Joe puts all his trust into Vito without any clue what's happening, and Vito repays it by getting Joe killed (of no fault of his own, but still). 

Joe was a likable guy, and that bummed me out. 

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheFreeMan

I always figured Joe was going to die, I wasn't so surprised about that. I was surprised that the damn game ended that abrubtly. I was like "That's it?". I thought it would end at the end of Vito's life or something, with him going to jail again or getting whacked or what-have-you. Just seemed like a....well, kind of a dumb ending, honestly.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60

I loved the ending. I thought it was fantastic.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By SumDeus

I really loved the ending. I sense a sequel filled with revenge. Also I hope the DLC ties in somehow and continues a bit.

Shenanigans19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Shenanigans19

I was kinda hoping for the option to kill everyone. Joe was your buddy, I probably wouldn't have taken that well. I mean, Vito never really liked his father yet he freaked out and killed a shitload of people when he found out they killed him. And he was obviously much closer to Joe, I think he should have wasted everyone.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

So Joe Peschi doesn't die?

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Wasn't it kinda obvious?

ZipCrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ZipCrash

I was expecting him to die but the way it was done so incredibly well done. Loved the ending. I really like endings that have a conclusion of the story but also ends opened ended so you have a feeling that even though the Movie/TV Show/Game is over the character(s) keep going on. Just like how I LOVED the series finale of Angel. :D

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @VilhelmNielsen said:
    " Wasn't it kinda obvious? "
    Not really. Primarily, because they muddled up the plot so much with Joe joining in with Falcone at the end. Another fellow on this board rightly concluded that this was an unbelievable move for Joe's character. It seemed so implausible that Joe would "switch sides" against Vito, and I became completely detached from the story right up until Joe is taken away.  

What I liked about the ending was the allegorical context of it as a conclusion: The ending had consequences, and nobody walked away happy. 
    nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nasher27

I feel like Joe knew he was going to die as soon as he saw he was getting into a different car. You could see it on his face.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ravensword

Well, they never did confirm that he was killed. I men, its kinda implied, but what pissed me off there was no reaction, no response from vito, no nothing. Just a upward pan of the city in the distance and a fade to black. Maybe theyll have DLC to flesh it out more, maybe Joe figured it out and got away. Who knows. We wont until either the next game or something comes up. Hell, we dont even know if Mafia 3 will even be a continuation of this story.
    bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bwmcmaste
    @Raven_Sword said:
     Hell, we dont even know if Mafia 3 will even be a continuation of this story. "
    Verily, you know something that I do not: What, pray tell, do you know of the third iteration of this series?
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I was waiting for Vito to flip out and shoot Leo. :(

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " Well, they never did confirm that he was killed. I men, its kinda implied, but what pissed me off there was no reaction, no response from vito, no nothing. Just a upward pan of the city in the distance and a fade to black. Maybe theyll have DLC to flesh it out more, maybe Joe figured it out and got away. Who knows. We wont until either the next game or something comes up. Hell, we dont even know if Mafia 3 will even be a continuation of this story. "
    What? Watch the ending again. There was a reaction from Vito.
    dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dystonym

As long as they finish it properly in DLC form and not in a sequel, then I'll be happy.

bradmiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bradmiller

I kinda figured that Joe would get it in the end, but I was hoping he would make it through unscathed.  As soon as he got into a separate car, I knew.  Made my heart sink just a bit.  Like some of you guys, I'm hoping that they'll release some DLC that shows Joe getting the jump on those guys and escaping.  He's too cool of a character to go out like that.

Avatar image for nihilisticmonkey
    nihilisticmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nihilisticmonkey
    It's tough, it could go one of two ways. Either 2K Czech planned the ending as sequel fodder, Joe escapes, Vito continues adventure, or even to do a throwback to the way they handled mafia 1 in mafia 2 and have a little background continuation of the story. 

Or, as @ bwmcmaste said, it could just be the typical mafia movie trope of "no one walks away happy". 

I was superbly satisfied with the plot of Mafia 2 however, and yep, I knew something was up as soon as Joe was sent to the other Car. "He wasn't part of the deal kid". :-(
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By septim

I liked what they were trying to do, even if it felt a little too abrupt.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By mrfizzy

it felt too abrupt but apart from that i liked that they basically gave you a sense of no matter who these guys deal with, they are totally fucked in the end. at one point in the game theres the line "you work like a dog for 30 years before your either popped or end up in the can". i kinda felt the end proved that quote somewhat.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.